Steel Drum Band on Wonder of the Seas?

LEMJMcC

I know you are asking about the WOTS, but I thought I'd answer because you may have a similar experience.

We were on the Serenade last week and they had a two-person band called "Island Vibz".  

They would play island music, Reggae, etc. and throw in a few songs with steel drums. (all done using a synthesizer). 

So while you got the feel of Caribbean music, it wasn't using real Pans.  Still sounded ok though.

2 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I have not seen an actual steel drum on an RCI ship in many years. It's all done artificially and, IMHO, it's not anywhere near as good as the real thing.

I agree, you're not getting Robert Greenidge quality that's for sure.  😉

That's disappointing.  I remember one port of call where there was an actual band with one, perhaps even two steel drummers playing at the end of the dock - that was a nice welcome.  I guess I can the logic of using synthesizers versus steel drums as it is more easily set up and moved and offers a wider variety of sounds.  Still, there's nothing like the real thing...

Thanks all.

4 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

That's disappointing.  I remember one port of call where there was an actual band with one, perhaps even two steel drummers playing at the end of the dock - that was a nice welcome.  I guess I can the logic of using synthesizers versus steel drums as it is more easily set up and moved and offers a wider variety of sounds.  Still, there's nothing like the real thing...

Thanks all.

Most times when we have been in St. Maarten there was a steel drum band playing in the port area.  (Feb 2020 was the last time for sure) 

Feb 2022

Pans.JPG

We were there in March of 2022 and sadly, no music of any type.  

Edited by paross4
added word