Alaska in early August--any suggestions?

midwife1021

Going to be cruising the northbound Alaska route in Aug 2024.  Just trying to accumulate any suggestions or pointers since this seems pretty overwhelming with all the options available.  Will be on Celebrity Summit, so my group will be wanting to get out and experience the ports. 

And what do the group members want to see or do?  Are they the outdoorsy type of folks?  Want to see wildlife?  Interested in our first people cultures?  Refuse to fly in small planes or helicopters?  Any mobility issues?

Most, if not all, of the communities which host cruise ships have a visitors' bureau (sometimes combined with their respective Chamber of Commerce).  Just use goggle to find them.  And most, if not all, have downloadable visitor guides.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 2:29 AM, Northern Aurora said:

And what do the group members want to see or do?  Are they the outdoorsy type of folks?  Want to see wildlife?  Interested in our first people cultures?  Refuse to fly in small planes or helicopters?  Any mobility issues?

Most, if not all, of the communities which host cruise ships have a visitors' bureau (sometimes combined with their respective Chamber of Commerce).  Just use goggle to find them.  And most, if not all, have downloadable visitor guides.

My sister is buying a Lonely Planet guide.  I think honestly everyone is overwhelmed at the wide range of things to do.  My youngest son (will be 20 at the time of the cruise) wants to do one of the excursions to see and play with the Huskies. 

There is a lot of interest in cultural excursions and hiking, but I'm not sure how I feel about hiking without a guide.  No significant mobility issues or phobias.  

Edited by midwife1021

@midwife1021:  Have you found the travelalaska.com website?  They have a downloadable vacation planner and an entire section on the cruise ports called "Cruising into Summer."  

Ketchikan is known for totems among other attractions.  

Juneau, our state capital, hosts the state museum.   Other popular attractions include, but are not limited to, Mendenhall Glacier, whale watching and Mt. Roberts Tramway.

Sitka is full of history as this was the community where the official transfer ceremony of Russian America to the US was held.  Popular attractions include Sitka National Historical Park (called "totem pole park" by the locals), Fortress of the Bear, the Raptor Center and the Russian Bishop's House.

Icy Strait Point offers exceptional whale watching, an incredibly long zip line, and gondolas up mountain to incredible vistas.

How long do you plan to stay in Seward?  Seward offers wonderful small boat excursions into Kenai Fjords National Park, Exit Glacier, and the SeaLife Center.  The Seavey dog racing family (members race the Iditarod) open their dog yard to visitors.  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

How long do you plan to stay in Seward? 

OMG WOW!  Thank you for all the info.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to stay very long in Seward (probably overnight at most), but some of my family may be staying later since their work schedules will permit.  

3 minutes ago, midwife1021 said:

OMG WOW!  Thank you for all the info.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to stay very long in Seward (probably overnight at most), but some of my family may be staying later since their work schedules will permit.  

I would also recommend the Iditaride (Seavey family - dog mushers) in Seward for your son. Seward is amazing - if you can spend 2 days there, the better. Plus the boat rides through the fiords are great there.

• Like 1