Have propulsion issues been resolved on the Vista?

ronlennon

I guess I got lucky last month. Vista arrived in Galveston late on embark day, but it was due to heavy fog. They were trying to sail on time but that was delayed for about an hour due to a medical emergency. Like on satxdiver's cruise we also had to stop off Cancun for a couple of hours to have the Mexican Coast Guard take off a crew member who suffered a stroke (found out later that he was doing well). Despite all that we made all our ports on time and had a full day in each one. We even got back to Galveston before the sun came up. 

• 4 weeks later...

We are on the Vista now (2/18).

We just left Cozumel with a 2:30 back on board time. We actually departed around 3:15 which means we will be sailing ~ 40 hours to arrive in Galveston at 7:00 Saturday morning.

That seems like a long time to me!

Current speed shows to be ~ 19 knots.

Edited by dan4182
Add info re speed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 4:52 PM, ronlennon said:

I have seen a few posts about propulsion issues in the past on the Vista.  Just wondered if they have been fixed.  I don't cruise until MAY 2023.

yikes.    i'm also going on the vista in may 2023.  i booked shore excursions at every port.    here's hoping to a good trip.

The last 2 times we sailed on the Vista it had propulsion problems.  We were rerouted to Belize Roatan and Cozumel.  Cutting the Cozumel time to 3:00 in the afternoon so it could arrive back in Galveston on time.  One time we didn't get back into Galveston until 11:00 A.M. 

We won't sail the Vista again until the propulsion issue is fixed.  Too many other ships and lines to choose from.

25 minutes ago, 75Vette said:

We won't sail the Vista again until the propulsion issue is fixed.  Too many other ships and lines to choose from.

If she's making 19 knots I'd think there's not currently a "propulsion issue".  Ships don't normally sail at top speed (in order to save a bit of fuel), 19 knots is pretty close to what I see on most cruises.  In my most humble opinion this "propulsion issue" has been blown out of proportion by people who really don't know what's going on.  I doubt if anyone outside of Carnival really knows.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 8:39 PM, tweak89 said:

There is no information to confirm that the issue has been resloved.  That being said, some have noticed that the original itinerary is now available for booking in April.  So, they've either figured it out without having to dock for repairs or they haven't updated the itineraries for those cruises yet.  We are sailing on the Vista in a couple of weeks.

since you posted that on 1/18 --- i'm presuming you went on your cruise.... any issues?

2 hours ago, 75Vette said:

The last 2 times we sailed on the Vista it had propulsion problems.  We were rerouted to Belize Roatan and Cozumel.  Cutting the Cozumel time to 3:00 in the afternoon so it could arrive back in Galveston on time.  One time we didn't get back into Galveston until 11:00 A.M. 

... so how long ago were those last 2 trips?   i booked for jamaica, caymans, and cozumel....   and leave in may --- so i'm presuming they fixed the issue if they're back to their normal itinerary.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 11:12 AM, RCmommy said:

On the Vista tomorrow and will be super bummed if we miss Belize or Roatan.  Cozumel I can miss.  Sorry Cozumel! No offense!

We don't go to June but same here....just make Belize and Roatan...Cozumel I won't be too upset about.

• 5 months later...
On 1/20/2023 at 11:53 AM, Clearwater said:

Oooh good to know all of this info. And according to the link above, I am on the last sailing before dry dock which I didn't realize.  We booked for 12/30/23-1/7/24 as I have always wanted to do a New Years Cruise.  We are supposed to head to Aruba, Curacao & Grand Turk.   Should I keep as-is or try and change ships this far in advance? There is another sailing on the Mardi Gras with the same date I could switch to.  Or should I keep as-is?

We are booked on Vista 2 weeks prior, and different itinerary being only a 6-day cruise.    Not happy about going so close to it being dry docked, but did know it is an older ship and was due for at least a refurbishing so I’m not too surprised to hear about issues.   Hopefully it’s all safe!!    For us, this cruise is geared towards relaxation and we booked a spa room.  Plan to spend a lot of time there and casual beach days where ever we get dock.   Trying to stay positive about it all and pray weather is nice.  Really no good alternative for us for this week, believe me I looked.   Fingers crossed all will be fine.   

Oooh good to know all of this info. And according to the link above, I am on the last sailing before dry dock which I didn't realize.  We booked for 12/30/23-1/7/24 as I have always wanted to do a New Years Cruise.  We are supposed to head to Aruba, Curacao & Grand Turk.   Should I keep as-is or try and change ships this far in advance? There is another sailing on the Mardi Gras with the same date I could switch to.  Or should I keep as-is?

We are booked on Vista 2 weeks prior, and different itinerary being only a 6-day cruise.    Not happy about going so close to it being dry docked, but did know it is an older ship and was due for at least a refurbishing so I’m not too surprised to hear about issues.   Hopefully it’s all safe!!    For us, this cruise is geared towards relaxation and we booked a spa room.  Plan to spend a lot of time there and casual beach days where ever we get dock.   Trying to stay positive about it all and pray weather is nice.  Really no good alternative for us for this week, believe me I looked.   Fingers crossed all will be fine.