What do I need to know

caymancouple

On 1/19/2023 at 5:50 PM, warmwinds said:

Uh oh the only piece of red clothing I own is a Nebraska Cornhuskers hoodie (it was a gift from my NE son-in-law's family) 🤣 somehow I don't think that's what they have in mind!

My only red shirt is one that says "I Pooted" on the front. It's a shirt that references "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" from the Cartoon Network. The crew LOVED it and I gave bonus points to three of the retail crew who knew exactly what the shirt referenced. 🙂  VV is 'come as you are.'

I'll second the person who said to not continually compare VV to other cruise lines. We've sailed 8 cruise lines now. They're all similar, they're all different. The biggest difference with VV is you're not constantly paying for stuff since so much is included. 

One crew member called the ship a Summer Camp for Adults and honestly that's a great description. If they had put more effort into the pools and skipped that stupid net, it would be an even better cruise line for us, but that doesn't deter us from loving the overall experience and booking more cruises with VV. I'm really interested to see how their itineraries will expand in 2024 and 2025 once they all four ships in operation at the end of this year.

I'll remind everyone that the current "Best Sale Ever" is ending Jan 31. In addition to the $300-$600 Bar Tab many TAs are offering $100 extra Sailor Loot or higher for certain cabin levels. Very good reasons for getting back on VV in 2023. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 10:11 AM, optimusprime82 said:

We're booked for March of 2024 and are trying to decide how much to invest in a bar tab. Neither of us are heavy drinkers, maybe three of four drinks at most per day each, likely less unless we're at sea. Are you able to use the "bar tab" for anything else on board, like in the gift shop, or is it a "use it or lose it" policy?

We're not sure if $350 (or $400) is enough or if $700 (or $800) is way too much for us lol.

Bar Tab is a 'use it or lose it' proposition and only for drinks. You CAN purchase bottles of alcohol from the bars on the last night if you have a bunch left over if you're driving or otherwise able to take the liquor home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2023 at 4:24 AM, WheresWalter said:

My only red shirt is one that says "I Pooted" on the front. It's a shirt that references "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" from the Cartoon Network. The crew LOVED it and I gave bonus points to three of the retail crew who knew exactly what the shirt referenced. 🙂  VV is 'come as you are.'

I'll second the person who said to not continually compare VV to other cruise lines. We've sailed 8 cruise lines now. They're all similar, they're all different. The biggest difference with VV is you're not constantly paying for stuff since so much is included. 

One crew member called the ship a Summer Camp for Adults and honestly that's a great description. If they had put more effort into the pools and skipped that stupid net, it would be an even better cruise line for us, but that doesn't deter us from loving the overall experience and booking more cruises with VV. I'm really interested to see how their itineraries will expand in 2024 and 2025 once they all four ships in operation at the end of this year.

I'll remind everyone that the current "Best Sale Ever" is ending Jan 31. In addition to the $300-$600 Bar Tab many TAs are offering $100 extra Sailor Loot or higher for certain cabin levels. Very good reasons for getting back on VV in 2023. 🙂 

Well besides my Nebraska shirt I realized I have red Christmas socks!  Go me!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marylandcruiser89 said:

How can I get the loyalty match added to my reservation?  I didn't see anything about that when I booked online.  Thank you.

If your cruise is before 3/31/2023, go to the website and click on Loyalty.  It will lead you to a form.  Fill it out, attach a photo of proof of your status on the other line, and hit "submit."  The match program is due to end 3/31, so unless it is extended there is no point in doing it for a cruise later than that.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 4:27 PM, cantgetin said:

There are no drink packages.  They do what is called a bar tab.  For every $300 you put on a tab in advance, you get a bonus based on the current special (usually $50 or $100).  Tab can be shared with everyone in your cabin and you can use it to buy drinks for anyone else you wish.

So you can only add in $300 increments? And the "loot" cannot be used for drinks?

Edited by katie8203

1 hour ago, katie8203 said:

So you can only add in $300 increments? And the "loot" cannot be used for drinks?

Loot can be used for any onboard purchase--alcohol, gift shop, spa, excursions if booked on board, etc.  Bar tabs are purchased only in $300 increments for which you get whatever the current bonus amount is (has ranged from $50 to $125).  Current qualifying bookings get $300 or $600 complimentary bar tab per cabin; the amount depends on the length of the cruise.  Bar tab is good on alcohol, virgin drinks, smoothies, premium coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and fresh squeezed juices.

• Like 1

And if you don’t pre-purchase bar tab then your credit card just gets charged on the last night with whatever you’ve spent onboard. 

But for many people over a five night cruise $400 of bar tab will get spent. 

Edited by jon81uk

Ok. Loot can be used for drinks but bar tab money cannot be used for anything but the bar tab. Gotcha. Thank you. 

I'm reading I should book excursions early, but I want to use my loot to do it. Should I wing it and hope stuff isn't full or just do it ahead of time?

Edited by katie8203
addition

3 minutes ago, katie8203 said:

Ok. Loot can be used for drinks but bar tab money cannot be used for anything but the bar tab. Gotcha. Thank you. 

I'm reading I should book excursions early, but I want to use my loot to do it. Should I wing it and hope stuff isn't full or just do it ahead of time?

I booked my excursions early, because there was one I really wanted. It's been canceled (apparently dolphins were canceled for the entirety of spring). We took our time with rebooking, and we got excursions we wanted, but I haven't seen anything that's sold out on the app. We're now inside of the 45 days and I think everything is still available. If we didn't have a strong reason not to wing it we probably would have. 

It looks like the hardest thing to book is dining reservations, so I wouldn't sit on booking those once you're in your window.

1 hour ago, katie8203 said:

There is a way around the excursion thing, especially on longer cruises.  VV requires that you cancel at least 24 hours before an excursion to not be charged...so that eliminates the day after boarding.  But for any farther out excursions, you can book them in advance.  They will be charged to your credit card.  Then, after boarding, go to the big red desk on deck 7.  Work with the Sailor Services person there to cancel your excursion (which is then refunded to your credit card) and immediately rebook on board (which is charged to your "loot" and if you run out of loot, to your credit card.)  The only risk is the few seconds between cancelation and rebooking when hypothetically someone else could grab it.

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

There is a way around the excursion thing, especially on longer cruises.  VV requires that you cancel at least 24 hours before an excursion to not be charged...so that eliminates the day after boarding.  But for any farther out excursions, you can book them in advance.  They will be charged to your credit card.  Then, after boarding, go to the big red desk on deck 7.  Work with the Sailor Services person there to cancel your excursion (which is then refunded to your credit card) and immediately rebook on board (which is charged to your "loot" and if you run out of loot, to your credit card.)  The only risk is the few seconds between cancelation and rebooking when hypothetically someone else could grab it.

I was under the impression that you could

only get a cc refund if you cancelled 24 hrs before the voyage, otherwise it came up as sailor loot.  Have you cancelled/rebooked while onboard successfully?

2 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

I was under the impression that you could

only get a cc refund if you cancelled 24 hrs before the voyage, otherwise it came up as sailor loot.  Have you cancelled/rebooked while onboard successfully?

Yes.....but policies may have changed.  A lot of things have changed from a year ago to now, and some of that explains some of the on line confusion.  Obviously if it comes up as loot now, there is no point in making the change.  Read the fine print--it used to say it would be returned to the original payment source.

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

Yes.....but policies may have changed.  A lot of things have changed from a year ago to now, and some of that explains some of the on line confusion.  Obviously if it comes up as loot now, there is no point in making the change.  Read the fine print--it used to say it would be returned to the original payment source.

Ah didn’t realize it changed.  I always thought it was original payment if before voyage, sailor loot if you cancel onboard, original payment if they cancel on you.  

We cancelled a cabana before our first voyage and the refund got royally screwed up.  They were trying to say that our fare discount also applied to our $350 cabana, so we wouldn’t get the full amount back.  After much back & forth we did indeed

get the full amount back… that made me nervous to book/cancel any shore excursions before sailing since then!

7 minutes ago, _tacocat_ said:

Ah didn’t realize it changed.  I always thought it was original payment if before voyage, sailor loot if you cancel onboard, original payment if they cancel on you.  

We cancelled a cabana before our first voyage and the refund got royally screwed up.  They were trying to say that our fare discount also applied to our $350 cabana, so we wouldn’t get the full amount back.  After much back & forth we did indeed

get the full amount back… that made me nervous to book/cancel any shore excursions before sailing since then!

Check the current policy.   It could be anything "this week."  Yes, I've had VV screw up a couple of financial things.  My Loot was a total mess on line and on the app until it mysteriously was fixed when we boarded.  My First Mate even sent me screen shots  of her records to prove my case had it been needed.  When I paid off my next cruise in full, my credit card was billed twice. VV, of course, denied this had happened, but I sent First Mate a screen shot of the bill and she managed it with VV.  Bottom line, the excess charge was corrected within 48 hours.  She was far more upset that they denied that it could have happened than anything, when we obviously had proof that it DID.

Sorry, but it makes me really happy to have someone to fight for me on this crap.....and as one of the top agents, she has more channels available than we have.