NCL Bliss - Ketchikan Totem Bight or Saxman

Carolinabanker

15 hours ago, Carolinabanker said:

I am trying to decide between the two, my wife really wants to see downtown Ketchikan and see totem poles. What’s the best way to accomplish that?

I'm having similar dilemmas but I discovered there are totem poles dotted around downtown that are within easy walking distance from the shuttle drop off.  Unfortunately it looks like the Totem heritage centre hours won't align with Bliss' port times as it doesn't open until 1pm (according to google). 

You can however always go there and see the exterior and there is a circle of poles outside cape fox lodge which connects to Creek Street via a Funicular if you don't want to walk the married men's path.

My plan at the moment is to get the earliest shuttle into town, head for creek street and then up to cape fox lodge and over to the heritage centre  ..I've pinned a few of the spots around the town with totem poles on a google map along with the location I think the shuttle will be using for drop off and pick up.

I am cheating a little by booking the lumberjack show simply because it finishes later than the last shuttle back to Ward cove but I need to talk to the excursion desk folks about whether they'll let me meet the excursion in town rather than have to return to ward cove to meet it.

• Like 1

Both options are offered on my cruise (HAL, not NCL) and also am torn between the two. Any recommendations as to which is better will be greatly appreciated. The cost is similar between them. Some reviews I’ve read prefer Totem Bight as it’s a state park and less of tourist “show” as opposed to Saxman but others loved Saxman. 

Btw a note about those 2 excursions, totem bight park is further North of ward cove so you don’t go anywhere near Ketchikan town. Saxman is south of the town so you pass through Ketchikan to get to it. 
from the research I did you can do a public bus from ward cove to totem bight park but it’s not well signposted and it’s a bit of a walk to the bus stop. 

7 hours ago, eileeshb said:

You can however always go there and see the exterior and there is a circle of poles outside cape fox lodge which connects to Creek Street via a Funicular if you don't want to walk the married men's path.

Any one planning to use the funicular needs to confirm directly with Cape Fox Lodge (the lodge owns the funicular) that the funicular will be operational this summer.  We were in Ketchikan twice in 2021 and it wasn't operating.  It didn't operate at all the entire abbreviated 2021 cruise season.  I asked two locals and were given two different answers as to why it wasn't operating.

We were in Ketchikan twice the summer of 2022, and again it wasn't operating either time.