Late arrival, but early check-in, which means I will loose out on restaurant booking

AT the Traveller

Our flight into BA lands @ 2:25 PM and as it's the 2nd time we've departed from there on a Viking Cruise, I think the earliest we can hope to be on board (Viking Jupiter) is 4 PM though we are eligible to board @ 11 AM. I just spent 63 minutes on the phone with Viking asking if we can submit a virtual request for additional restaurant reservations that would be considered at, say, 11:15 AM. I was told "no" and that I should have booked Viking Air Plus and not just Viking Air so that I could have requested an earlier flight time arrival, which seemed like an interesting move. That aside, any suggestions? My thanks.

So your plan was to speak to reservations desk about getting additional dining reservations as soon as you board, but are concerned since you’re boarding late? From my one cruise experience, you should be able to get dinner reservations for other nights. See the many posts about that here on CC. We actually just walked in to Manfredi’s one night. 

Edited by CDR2001

I can only say that we are currently on the Star and have had no trouble getting reservations for all 5 Chef’s Table menus at either 19.00 or 19.30 and they are taking walk ins. I think Manfredis is more popular, we did pick up an 18.30 reservation for later this week, ship is full by the way

I've only cruised during Covid and when ships were far from full. My experience is that we could walk in to Manfredi's or Chef's Table, but the ship is full this time. Viking's customer service lead me to believe that our chances at 4 PM were slim. It would be lovely to be surprised! It would also be nice however if there was a way to submit requests other than in person.

We were recently on an almost full cruise. We didn’t board until after 4, but still had no issues getting additional dinner reservations. Also, there  were evenings while we were waiting to be seated at the restaurant that the restaurant manager was offering people seats at Manfredis.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, AT the Traveller said:

I'd like to book more restaurant reservations and once on board have the option. However, as I am arriving late, the available options will have decreased significantly and it simply may not be possible. Thank you for asking.

Having previously sailed with Viking, I expect you know the benefits of Viking's Air + and the risks of not paying this premium. If getting onboard early to make additional reservations was important, why didn't you pay for Air +.

We have also sailed on a full ship and never had any issues getting seats in the Alternative restaurants. We never book in advance, making a reservation the day we want to go. never had an issue.

• Like 2

I have said this on other discussion threads.  We book the lowest ocean category of cabin because for one, we don't ever intend to spend time in the cabin that we are not either showering or sleeping.

What comes along with the lowest category of cabin is an absence of being able to book anything in advance in regard to restaurant reservations.

We have NEVER had a problem booking the specialty restaurants after boarding and even on the next day.   Pre-Covid or during Covid.  The last cruise we were on had over 700 (I know not full) but we got Chef's Table 5 nights for each new menu at the time we wanted with no concerns.  We got 3 Manfredi's nights as well at the time we wanted.  

There seems to be endless hype (sorry for the word) and worry about restaurant reservations in advance - same for excursions - that I wish that Viking would either build a better mousetrap or take away advance bookings so that everyone was on level ground on boarding the ship.  This advance booking system seems to bring a lot of anxiety.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I have said this on other discussion threads.  We book the lowest ocean category of cabin because for one, we don't ever intend to spend time in the cabin that we are not either showering or sleeping.

What comes along with the lowest category of cabin is an absence of being able to book anything in advance in regard to restaurant reservations.

We have NEVER had a problem booking the specialty restaurants after boarding and even on the next day.   Pre-Covid or during Covid.  The last cruise we were on had over 700 (I know not full) but we got Chef's Table 5 nights for each new menu at the time we wanted with no concerns.  We got 3 Manfredi's nights as well at the time we wanted.  

There seems to be endless hype (sorry for the word) and worry about restaurant reservations in advance - same for excursions - that I wish that Viking would either build a better mousetrap or take away advance bookings so that everyone was on level ground on boarding the ship.  This advance booking system seems to bring a lot of anxiety.

I've discussed the topic of early reservations with both quest services and the restaurant  front of house. Both were quick to bring up how many and how often these early reservations get canceled or change once folks are on board. As has been said already, we too have never had trouble getting what we wanted once on board and for the restaurants we don't even worry about it until we sail. 

• Like 3