Is it worth visiting Haines from Skagway? or spend more time in Skagway?

potatopotato

My husband and I are taking our first trip to Alaska in June. We are docked in Skagway from 7am till 8pm. Since we are at port for so long, we really wanted to maximize our day and be off the ship as much as possible. Based on the costs of excursions, we could either take the train ride in Skagway and spend the rest of the day sightseeing in town or we could take the ferry to Haines and sightsee in both towns. Wasn't sure which would be best for us. I've heard great things about the train ride but wonder if it is worth it. We live in Colorado, so we often experience high vantage points on mountains from hiking and skiing that might make the train redundant to what we see at home. The ferry seems like a great opportunity to experience more views from the water, but I worry that Haines doesn't have much to do. Appreciate any advice!

iF you go to Haines you should have an objective.  Steve Krochel’s wildlife center is fun.  You could do a rafting excursion but the eagles in the Eagle Preserve don’t show up until late Fall.  It’s still fun.  Haines is not a touristy port so a pleasant stop and not crowded.   Some tourists have been satisfied with seeing eagles from the ferry.  Be careful of your time.  The ship will wait for you on a ship tour.  If you are on your own on the ferry be careful of your timing.  Any delay of the ferry returning to Skagway could be a big problem.

Skagway has a lot of Gold Rush history.  It is a National Park.  There are some great hiking trails there.  The bus and train combo has great scenery and the narration will orient you to the area.  If you have never been to Skagway and you are interested in Gold Rush history, there is a lot to see and learn.  You might consider renting a car and drive up to the Yukon and back since you have a long port stop.

I think that you've actually described the options rather well, and the considerations for each. If you've enjoyed riding the Durango and Silverton railroad (or the Cumbres and Toltec railroad) in Colorado, and want a similar activity in Alaska, then stay in Skagway and ride the White Pass Route. On the other hand, if you want to get away from the tourist circuit and all the other cruise line passengers, then make the trip to Haines. Two very different choices, but it is really a decision based on your preferences . . . and I think you've outlined the decision-making factors well.

We had a beautiful day in Skagway doing an excursion called Chilkoot Trail Hiking and Rafting.  It met right at the dock and the van took us to the trail.  After about an hour on the trail we hopped into some rafts and floated back to Skagway.  We found a great spot for lunch with a glacier view, then walked around the shops before heading back to the ship.  I'm including some shots so you can see how difficult the hike was (not bad at all!)

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_0430.jpeg

• Like 2

The 45-minute each way ferry ride to Haines is via a steep-walled fjord with few photo opportunities.  Bring a book to read.  The docking ramp in Haines is extremely steep because of the tides and might be an issue for those with any mobility issues.  Haines transportation to excursions is via school buses that were not designed for average-sized adults.  The town is very small and the photo opportunities minimal.   The negatives for Haines excursions far outweigh the positives. 

Skagway has so much more to experience (Liarsville, scenic Yukon on the train, hiking, glass blowing,  dogsledding, etc.).

Haines

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/haines/p5141563.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SueMo said:

We had a beautiful day in Skagway doing an excursion called Chilkoot Trail Hiking and Rafting.  It met right at the dock and the van took us to the trail.  After about an hour on the trail we hopped into some rafts and floated back to Skagway.  We found a great spot for lunch with a glacier view, then walked around the shops before heading back to the ship.  I'm including some shots so you can see how difficult the hike was (not bad at all!)

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_0430.jpeg

We also enjoyed this excursion!

Edited by oaktreerb

Skagway is very touristy but fun to stroll around and a trip up into the mountains is very pretty. However if you go into the Rocky Mountains all the time then you may not appreciate the scenery as much. There is a lot of mining history if you are into that. Another option in Skagway if you have a long day there is to rent a car and drive up to the Yukon. (just make sure you have your passport). The road follows the railway and you can take your own time. 

Haines is a cute, very small non touristy town. Ferry ride is fun and very scenic. You can rent a car there and drive up the road along the river and be on your own time. We saw several eagles (you will see many more in Juneau and Ketchikan) but like someone else stated they dont come in force until fall. I have also heard that there is a area that you can go and look for bears but I am unsure of exactly where it is (might have to research).