We Are on the NCL joy

curlstravel

On 1/29/2023 at 5:18 PM, Jldevlin said:

If you embarked in L A can you let us know how it went and if you are at berth 46 ... and how the entertainment is as you go along ....Have a great time !!!!

Waited 4 hours 1-6-23.    Worst boarding ever.  

45 minutes ago, curlstravel said:

I do Not believe you can make Wi-Fi calls with unlimited I believe you will have to upgrade to premium. Maybe someone else will know the answer to this question

Fyi the wifi is terrible.   
and yes you can make wifi calls with premium 

3 hours ago, twocruisinguys said:

I am upgrading internet package to unlimited. Can you text and make wifi calls with that speed or do I have to upgrade to premium? I really won’t be streaming Netflix not sure i need to purchase premium to keep in touch with home and post pics and videos on Facebook. 

I was able to make a wifi call with the unlimited internet pkg.  No charge from either the ship or my phone provider.  

Going on the Joy for the Feb 12 sailing. Just wondering if you get the unlimited Go Kart (and Galaxy Pavillion) pass on the ship, will I be able to share one pass with other people I am going on the cruise with? Or are they strict with one person per pass

14 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

Fyi the wifi is terrible.   
and yes you can make wifi calls with premium 

42 minutes ago, Bswitz10 said:

Going on the Joy for the Feb 12 sailing. Just wondering if you get the unlimited Go Kart (and Galaxy Pavillion) pass on the ship, will I be able to share one pass with other people I am going on the cruise with? Or are they strict with one person per pass

We have had no problem with the Wi-Fi on our Panama Canal cruise

22 hours ago, hallux said:

I had an EXCELLENT burger at The Local when I was on the Joy last year, one that I'd be paying $20 or so for at local restaurants at home.

15 hours ago, curlstravel said:

Savor, Local, American Diner, observation lounge and Buffet.

We had the burger for lunch today and it was big and delicious. Loved the bacon on it. Nice and crisp.  Better than the burgers we get at Red Robbin at home and better than American Diner.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

What’s Your itinerary.   ?  

1 minute ago, curlstravel said:

We had the burger for lunch today and it was big and delicious. Loved the bacon on it. Nice and crisp.  Better than the burgers we get at Red Robbin at home and better than American Diner.

Panama Canal Miami to LA

On 1/30/2023 at 12:59 PM, curlstravel said:

We have eaten at the local a couple of times and both of us feel like it is better than on most ships. We have gotten great service and hot food.  I especially like that the English muffins are warm when you get them at the local in the morning because they are usually cold in the dining room. I did not notice if they had the hot fudge sundaes. I will check the next time I go.

15 hours ago, curlstravel said:

Savor, Local, American Diner, observation lounge and Buffet.

We cid not see hot fudge sundaes on the local menu

37 minutes ago, curlstravel said:

Better than the burgers we get at Red Robbin

Red robin is one thing, I'm talking the locally-owned pubs at home, which have some excellent burgers (better than RR).  The ones from The Local rival even THOSE

37 minutes ago, curlstravel said:

and better than American Diner.

Which you PAY FOR, and The Local is FREE.  BEST. KEPT. SECRET!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, hallux said:

Red robin is one thing, I'm talking the locally-owned pubs at home, which have some excellent burgers (better than RR).  The ones from The Local rival even THOSE

Ok! I'm going to have to try this on Joy in March....we sail on Joy one day after you leave on Escape. 

5 hours ago, hallux said:

I agree it was delicious.  I don’t normally think to order a burger there but now that I’ve tried it I will definitely be going back. I do wish they would switch up some of the food items that they’ve had on the menu for years though.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 4:18 PM, Jldevlin said:

If you embarked in L A can you let us know how it went and if you are at berth 46 ... and how the entertainment is as you go along ....Have a great time !!!!

We left Miami we are going to arrive in LA berth  92

On 1/30/2023 at 1:03 PM, curlstravel said:

The lines at dinner have not been bad at all but we made a reservation in advance so they usually let us write in. If you are dining in a main dining room you can make a reservation and they will let you in the restaurant before other people waiting in line

thanks!   We had pre-booked dinners on the Getaway in December, and they still made everyone stand in line.  It was ridiculous.

On 1/31/2023 at 12:32 PM, BettyCruiser said:

Agree! I will think long and hard before booking another cruise out of San Pedro. 

San Pedro isn't the problem, it's NCL, apparently. For my Princess and Celebrity cruises out of there, I'm usually am on the ship within 15 minutes, but then Princess uses a Medallion and Celebrity an app with all info pre-loaded. But then on my Celebrity Solstice sailing on Jan 7, there were 900 people on board, and they were going to have 700 the following week, so there are some good deals and experiences on them this winter. I'll be on the Joy Feb 19, so maybe a 5-day between school breaks would have fewer people and a better boarding experience. In any case, I went on its inaugural sailing after refurbishment in 2019, and it's still one of my favorite ships, because of the design, entertainment (more dancing in "Footloose" than other shows), and open pool deck layout. I even remember being surprised by peanut brittle in the buffet, which I've never seen on a ship before. 

9 hours ago, cruiser123! said:

thanks!   We had pre-booked dinners on the Getaway in December, and they still made everyone stand in line.  It was ridiculous.

There were long lines one night at the Manhattan and they said if you had a reservation go right up to the desk and they would sit you

• Like 2

Thank you for taking questions.

We will be on Joy in March and I’m curious about the availability of sun bathing space. There is no longer the public space outside Vibe and apparently Spice H2O is smaller on this ship than others.

We prefer to lounge in Spice H2O as it is quieter than the main pool.

Did Spice look crowded? Was the main pool area packed?

Thank you again.