Tipping when staying in Haven suite

sldmh

I see a lot of you saying that you are tipping people like waitresses , bartenders , etc. is this bc in the haven these people are not part of the prepaid gratuities ? I don’t like to have the stress of tipping so I prefer to prepay and get it out of the way . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruiseguy14 said:

I see a lot of you saying that you are tipping people like waitresses , bartenders , etc. is this bc in the haven these people are not part of the prepaid gratuities ? I don’t like to have the stress of tipping so I prefer to prepay and get it out of the way . 

DSC ($25 per person per day in Haven) is the gratuity that goes to cabin steward, wait staff, and other behind the scenes personnel (i.e., laundry).

The 20% service fee on alcohol package/purchases go to bartenders.

Butler and Concierge do not get any part of the DSC or service fee.  So, tip accordingly to your usage. 

Some also elect to add additional tip to cabin steward, wait staff, bartenders, Haven restaurant maître D, etc.  It's all up to you.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Girr said:

DSC ($25 per person per day in Haven) is the gratuity that goes to cabin steward, wait staff, and other behind the scenes personnel (i.e., laundry).

The 20% service fee on alcohol package/purchases go to bartenders.

Butler and Concierge do not get any part of the DSC or service fee.  So, tip accordingly to your usage. 

Some also elect to add additional tip to cabin steward, wait staff, bartenders, Haven restaurant maître D, etc.  It's all up to you.

Thank you for clarifying this! We will definitely make sure to plan our gratuities accordingly. 

Another question I am wondering about is tipping based on usage. I stayed on the gem and had a butler/concierge. 

the butler I think I used twice on a 15 day cruise and they were extremely small favors.

the concierge I don’t think I used at all. I’m not even sure under what situations I would use a concierge considering I can make any schedule in the app in two seconds. Please correct me if I am wrong .

but despite not tipping them I felt I was obligated to leave then a decent tip. My thinking was just bc I don’t really want any additional services it is unfair for me to recur my tip bc those jobs are structured to be compensated mainly by tipping and if I don’t tip what the average person would have tipped then that is not right. Basically my thought process is that if you stay in a room with these butlers/concierges you have to baseline tip them regardless if you never use them. They depend on that for their livelihood and they would of been willing to help you if you wanted.

On 2/2/2023 at 4:21 PM, gmbhardy said:

I really wish gratuities were included in the cruise fare. I would gladly pay extra to avoid running around on the last day with envelopes, deciding who to tip, how much to tip where to tip, etc. To me it puts an added level of stress, at the end of what should be a very positive experience.

Ive never given a tip in an envelope if one is warrented I just hand it over usually the day before we leave 

4 hours ago, Cruiseguy14 said:

Another question I am wondering about is tipping based on usage. I stayed on the gem and had a butler/concierge. 

the butler I think I used twice on a 15 day cruise and they were extremely small favors.

the concierge I don’t think I used at all. I’m not even sure under what situations I would use a concierge considering I can make any schedule in the app in two seconds. Please correct me if I am wrong .

but despite not tipping them I felt I was obligated to leave then a decent tip. My thinking was just bc I don’t really want any additional services it is unfair for me to recur my tip bc those jobs are structured to be compensated mainly by tipping and if I don’t tip what the average person would have tipped then that is not right. Basically my thought process is that if you stay in a room with these butlers/concierges you have to baseline tip them regardless if you never use them. They depend on that for their livelihood and they would of been willing to help you if you wanted.

I agree with your logic around tipping the butler and concierge, even if you don't utilize their services. They have done something for you. You just might not know it and since the daily service charge doesn't go to them, we tip them. We don't tip large amounts. I've seen $100/day, $1,000/week, etc. We're not those people. We are modest people that tip modestly. If you want tip large amounts then so be it. I won't judge you, but I also won't tip that much.

For the butler, we generally tip about $100 per cruise (one week, ten days, etc.). We get the daily snacks, have the M&M's, gummy bears, and Nespresso/tea refilled. Generally we have one, maybe two room service requests per week. 

The concierge receives the same. I am really surprised we use the concierge, but my husband enjoys going to the concierge to change reservations, upgrade internet, and ask billing questions. We also use the priority disembarkation. So, $200 for both employees. 

For our usage, we feel a modest tip is appropriate. If we requested dinner in the room every evening or monopolized the concierge's time (as we saw a few families do for several hours), we would tip more.

Earlier you asked about servers and bartenders. We've had different experiences. On each cruise we have given an extra $20 - $25 to a server in the Haven Restaurant that we established a relationship with and who served us on several occasions. On Joy we did not tip the bartenders as we didn't feel the service was good. On Getaway we have tipped bartenders $25 each (two bartenders) as they made us great drinks, established a rapport, and we enjoyed their company. 

But, the daily service charge does cover the servers and bartenders, so we don't have to tip them anything. And we don't feel bad not tipping all the servers/bartenders. 

Another thing, we always tip at the end of the cruise. I don't want my money (little, as it is compared to others) to influence the service. I want the money to be a genuine and authentic thank you, not to feel like a bribe/asking for favors. To each their own as many do the opposite and that is quite alright. It's their way, not mine! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Another thing, we always tip at the end of the cruise. I don't want my money (little, as it is compared to others) to influence the service. I want the money to be a genuine and authentic thank you, not to feel like a bribe/asking for favors. To each their own as many do the opposite and that is quite alright. It's their way, not mine! 

IF we ever get to stay in the Haven, we would probably tip at the end so the Butler and Concierge wouldn’t think we were cheapskates…lol.  However, in Gen Pop we tip as we go…a few $$ with each drink, cash tip at specialty dining, and a nightly cash tip to our steward with a thank you note.  They enjoy cleaning our room!!

BTW, welcome back from out west. Hope it fulfilled your adventurous spirit.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 7:28 PM, Cruiseguy14 said:

There are no prepaid gratuities (other than on some FAS items).  You are talking about the DSC which has nothing to fdo with tups/  The ONLY correct answer to tipping is to ti anyone you want, any time you want, any amount you want.  Trust mne, no one is going to turn down any amount you tip.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

There are no prepaid gratuities (other than on some FAS items).  You are talking about the DSC which has nothing to fdo with tups/  The ONLY correct answer to tipping is to ti anyone you want, any time you want, any amount you want.  Trust mne, no one is going to turn down any amount you tip.  Enjoy your cruise!

Best approach to tipping I have ever read x 

6 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Absolutely! On every cruise I have ever taken tips are always graciously and gratefully accepted. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

That’s not what I was told. I was told yesterday by a NCL rep that the only person I had to tip once I got on board was my butler. That I had even prepaid the concierge . Please see below and let me know if I paid something that I shouldn’t have. 
AE116250-5BE5-4068-8BF5-6077706B479B.thumb.jpeg.e76ddc3a61a7cc7aa4237d8850a0e265.jpeg

5 hours ago, Cruiseguy14 said:

That’s not what I was told. I was told yesterday by a NCL rep that the only person I had to tip once I got on board was my butler. That I had even prepaid the concierge . Please see below and let me know if I paid something that I shouldn’t have. 
AE116250-5BE5-4068-8BF5-6077706B479B.thumb.jpeg.e76ddc3a61a7cc7aa4237d8850a0e265.jpeg

You do not HAVE TO tip anyone, although I personally would not recommend that course of action.  Read the FAQ on the ncl web site.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 1:14 PM, laudergayle said:

IF we ever get to stay in the Haven, we would probably tip at the end so the Butler and Concierge wouldn’t think we were cheapskates…lol.  However, in Gen Pop we tip as we go…a few $$ with each drink, cash tip at specialty dining, and a nightly cash tip to our steward with a thank you note.  They enjoy cleaning our room!!

BTW, welcome back from out west. Hope it fulfilled your adventurous spirit.

I do understand tipping as you go when you may not see the server/bartender again. That definitely makes sense! When you're in the Haven, generally you have the same servers and almost definitely the same bartenders. And haha on the cheapskates! Don't worry, not all of us Havener's tip like we're the 1%. Because no one in the Haven is the 1%. They wouldn't be cruising like that. 🙂 I do like to think the stewards are ok with our room too. We've peeked in some and Oh. My. Gosh. How do people live like that? Even for seven days on a ship. Eeeeeek!

So....whenever I start my live, I'll be referring back to my adventures out west. For now, suffice it to say we survived doing a rim to rim backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon. Three nights under the rim, seeing the unadulterated night sky, major thunderstorms (so amazing), and hearing the wind whistle through the canyon, was quite the experience. I've hiked deep into the canyon twice now: this backpacking trip and one day trip solo. I think this might be my last foray into the rim. I'm still awestruck by the place, but I have other places to tromp! 

We're already thinking about the Wind River Range in Wyoming or the Thorofare in Yellowstone (most remote place in the lower 48). Anyway, I'm babbling now, so back to cruising! But...here's one photo 5,000 feet below the rim of the Grand Canyon at the Colorado River:

image.thumb.png.d73df2f5dc422f3b9434d7d89f3113a2.png

• Like 4

On 2/3/2023 at 9:44 AM, CWMixer said:

General question for clarification if anyone knows:

Is a tip given to the (lead) concierge then disbursed among the total concierge staff, or would it be kept entirely by the lead?

Most comments here only indicate a tip to 'the concierge' and don't differentiate between other members of the concierge staff, as they do with giving tips to individual bartenders, servers, etc.

I had this same question because every time we went to the concierge desk, we would be helped by a different person. I knew who the head concierge was, but never made note of the others because they were usually just quick interactions. I wanted to leave a tip to be split amongst the whole team so I ended up leaving a cash tip in an envelope addressed to “The Concierge Team” because I was told that I could not give a tip to a team by putting it on my account. You can tip only individual crew members by name if putting it on your account. I have faith that the head concierge split the tip with the assistants.  

On 10/10/2023 at 10:59 AM, cruiseny4life said:

But, the daily service charge does cover the servers and bartenders, so we don't have to tip them anything. And we don't feel bad not tipping all the servers/bartenders. 

DSC does not go to bartenders.  The 20% service charge added to drinks go to bartenders.  

So, you're right everyone's basically already been "tipped" (except butler & concierge) between the DSC and service charge.  Absolutely no need to tip additionally.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Girr said:

DSC does not go to bartenders.  The 20% service charge added to drinks go to bartenders.  

So, you're right everyone's basically already been "tipped" (except butler & concierge) between the DSC and service charge.  Absolutely no need to tip additionally.  

I stand corrected. You're absolutely right! Thank you for providing this clarity. 

On 2/2/2023 at 5:43 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

Instead of fretting about running around trying to find $2 dollar bills to put in an envelope -

you could go to Guest Services and get a Credit Voucher (charge against your on board account)

for each crew member you wish to tip additionally and the non DSC Butler and Concierge.

You receive a receipt that can be given to the crew member - and while not quite as classy

as legal green tender in a pretty Thank You note card it suffices and the crew member gets

the entire tip and not shared or pooled with others.

Tipping is a personal matter - you can discuss it here or NOT keep it low key please.

Not everyone has the same expectations of service and appreciates the service in the same way. 

For those with the NCL credit card you can get 3% back on your tips doing it this way (unless you have unused refundable OBC)

I just give cash to everyone, as I'm skeptical about the service charges actually making it to people who we want to thank. (I feel NCL assumes they will get a large % of the service charge, and then we are essentially paying that portion of the employees salary. Sure maybe they throw a 'party' with some other %, but I don't feel the employee is getting rewarded. Maybe they are, but the stories I hear don't seem to imply that.)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Girr said:

Absolutely incorrect.  The DSC is NOT a tip.  The only part that is true is that (read ine FAQ on tipping on ncl.com) there is no requirement to tip, but it is encouraged.  However using the DSC as an excsue to not tip is disingenuous and down right cheap.  If you do not want to tip then do not do so, just don't use the DSC as an excuse not to do so.  The DSC has no more to do with tipping than your crusie fare or your port fees and raxes.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Absolutely incorrect.  The DSC is NOT a tip.  The only part that is true is that (read ine FAQ on tipping on ncl.com) there is no requirement to tip, but it is encouraged.  However using the DSC as an excsue to not tip is disingenuous and down right cheap.  If you do not want to tip then do not do so, just don't use the DSC as an excuse not to do so.  The DSC has no more to do with tipping than your crusie fare or your port fees and raxes.

You are electing to misinterpret my comments.  Call the DSC a tip - call it a gratuity.  Tomato - tomato.  The $20/$25 DSC does go room attendants, wait staff, laundry etc.  Perhaps not all directly (some goes into pools which are distributed based on hero awards, etc.).  20% service charge from beverage package goes to bar staff, 20% service charge on food packages go to wait staff.

Now, as to additional tipping you have no idea as to what I tip, and I DO!  You really need to inform yourself on how NCL imposed fees are distributed.  If you sail in the Haven you need to read the letter NCL leaves in your cabin the last night which states butlers and concierge aren't part of the DSC package.   

• Like 2

On our last cruise, we stayed in the Deluxe Owner's Suite on a non-Haven ship.  It was a 7-day cruise and I left $200 for the butler and $100 each for the concierge and room steward.  I also brought my own thank you cards and wrote a personal message to each.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slavetoabunny said:

On our last cruise, we stayed in the Deluxe Owner's Suite on a non-Haven ship.  It was a 7-day cruise and I left $200 for the butler and $100 each for the concierge and room steward.  I also brought my own thank you cards and wrote a personal message to each.

Very generous of you. I have never experienced a butler that would make me tip that amount 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2023 at 6:24 PM, mrshorsy said:

Very generous of you. I have never experienced a butler that would make me tip that amount 

Really? We definitely have. Our first butler (Jennifer C., Dawn, 2014) was absolutely amazing and doted on our kiddo as if he was her own. When said kiddo had a meltdown at dinner and we decided to return back to our cabin, she swooped in and had all of our meals packed up and delivered them to our cabin along with some special items to help improve our kiddo's mood. She also did so many other things that made our trip amazing. She absolutely deserved a generous tip!

While not a butler, per se, we also received amazing service from our Genie while staying in Star Class on the Harmony of the Seas -- so much so that we were all in tears leaving the ship and having to say goodbye. Also a great trip, with a generous tip to match for fantastic service.

We have also had butlers that were "meh", though, and didn't deserve quite as much. That said, we have always tipped them *something* -- often in the ballpark of $10-20 per day.

5 hours ago, Pitzel said:

Really? We definitely have. Our first butler (Jennifer C., Dawn, 2014) was absolutely amazing and doted on our kiddo as if he was her own. When said kiddo had a meltdown at dinner and we decided to return back to our cabin, she swooped in and had all of our meals packed up and delivered them to our cabin along with some special items to help improve our kiddo's mood. She also did so many other things that made our trip amazing. She absolutely deserved a generous tip!

While not a butler, per se, we also received amazing service from our Genie while staying in Star Class on the Harmony of the Seas -- so much so that we were all in tears leaving the ship and having to say goodbye. Also a great trip, with a generous tip to match for fantastic service.

We have also had butlers that were "meh", though, and didn't deserve quite as much. That said, we have always tipped them *something* -- often in the ballpark of $10-20 per day.

Yep ours have always been pretty much invisible however that could be because we cruise either just the two of us or with older teens . And we pretty much have an idea of what we want to do/ where we want to eat before we board so don’t really need help in that department. To be honest though we only ever cruise Haven the butler aspect we can take or leave. 
Last year though there was a fabulous guy who worked the Haven Courtyard (Teddy on Gem) my son was at the time revising for his GCSE’s and on sea days would do a couple of hours morning and afternoon studying. As our cabin opened on to the courtyard Teddy used to pop in and deliver him cups of tea and plates of cookies or drop him the lunch menu. It was really thoughtful and way above what his job was so a generous tip was left accordingly. 

• Like 1