Flying to Tahiti via LAX

GoPackFan

I'm looking for info from anyone that has flown to Tahiti on ATN via LAX.  Our domestic flight to LAX most likely will not be on the same record locator as the ATN flight so our checked bag will not be checked all the way through to PPT.  So, what are the logistics from deplaning in LAX, picking up our checked bag and heading to the International Terminal?  Do we recheck our bag at an ATN counter before going through security?  If yes, how many hours prior to our flight departure on ATN can we do that?  From what I've been reading on your very informative boards, there is another ATN counter at the departure gate that we need to check in at as well.  

Also, has anyone used the wheelchair or electric cart service to get from point A to point B?  My husband had one knee replaced two months ago and is due for the other knee replacement after our trip.  I want to know what our options are if he's not able to walk long distances in a short amount of time.

Upon returning from Tahiti to LAX, what's the drill?  We do have TSA PreCheck and Global Entry. 

Thank you for any info and pointers you may have from your travel experience at LAX.

Haven’t done this exact scenario since we’ve not been back to Tahiti for 19 years (though going next month) but I have had to do this before for European trips.  If you can, order a wheelchair through your initial flight, then have then take you to bag claim.  Park your husband and get the bags.  Then the person should help wheel you to the connection area to Tom Bradley where you would check in at ATN.  Provide a BIG tip.  3 hours will be close but if you have Clear will help.

• 4 weeks later...

We are BNA to LAX on AA 5/23/23 arriving at 8:30 PM, The ATN flight is 11:55 PM but I asked the same question about claiming and rechecking the bags. ATN and AA are codeshare partners so my hope is that I can get ATN to connect the flights and they can check it straight from Nashville.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 10:04 AM, silkismom said:

itcTN--please report back if you can check your bags all the way thru. We have the same situation in Nov.

Will do! Since AA and ATN are codeshare partners hopefully they will be able to do that for us. If not, we have 3 hours between as it now stands.

• Like 1