New Orleans Parking-Break In

vacationlover16

We are heading out on a Disney cruise in March. In another group on social media, there are lots of mention of cars being broken into while parked at the port. We will be driving and are unsure where the best place to park now to try to keep our truck as safe as possible while gone. We currently have a one night stay at the AC Hotel New Orleans French Quarter booked. They don't have a park and cruise option that would allow us to keep our vehicle there. Some are stating DCL passengers can't park at the port and that parking is reserved for Carnival guests only and we will have to park at the convention center.

Has anyone cruised recently from New Orleans? What is the parking situation? Where can we park and our vehicle will be secure and monitored. It is only 8 hours from our home so we don't want to pay to fly but also don't want to come out to a window that has been smashed either. I can't tell if folks are overreacting or if we need to really be concerned. We have never worried about our vehicle during our cruises when we have driven.

There have been numerous reports of breakins at the Whale Parking lot.

Google search will disclose many similar articles.

https://www.wdsu.com/article/travelers-come-back-to-downtown-nola-from-norwegian-cruise-to-find-their-vehicles-broken-into/42358631

The Whale lot, named because of the large mural overlooking the lot, does not control access. The lot is also used for parking at the Riverwalk so people come and go.

Here's the best source of alternative parking at NOLA cruise port.

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/new-orleans-parking/

We've already reserved our spot at the Fulton Garage.

We choose Fulton because it is fully enclosed.  It has 24/7 security and 64 security cameras.  It provides a shuttle to both cruise terminals.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

There have been numerous reports of breakins at the Whale Parking lot.

Google search will disclose many similar articles.

https://www.wdsu.com/article/travelers-come-back-to-downtown-nola-from-norwegian-cruise-to-find-their-vehicles-broken-into/42358631

The Whale lot, named because of the large mural overlooking the lot, does not control access. The lot is also used for parking at the Riverwalk so people come and go.

Here's the best source of alternative parking at NOLA cruise port.

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/new-orleans-parking/

We've already reserved our spot at the Fulton Garage.

We choose Fulton because it is fully enclosed.  It has 24/7 security and 64 security cameras.  It provides a shuttle to both cruise terminals.

I came across St. Greg's information when searching but since it was from last February, I didn't know if it was still relevant if the break-ins were occurring in the places he recommended as well. Just wanted to be sure the info I was getting now was the most up to date.

12 hours ago, vacationlover16 said:

I came across St. Greg's information when searching but since it was from last February, I didn't know if it was still relevant if the break-ins were occurring in the places he recommended as well. Just wanted to be sure the info I was getting now was the most up to date.

All of the breakins were reported in the Whale Lot.

12 hours ago, vacationlover16 said:

I was reading from other sources break-ins were happening all over the city including garages and street parking outside of cruise parking.

Perhaps but the lots that control access and have security 24/7 and security cameras are  your best bet.

35 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Where did you hear that?  Disney uses the same pier as Carnival, the Erato Terminal.

I didn't hear it anywhere. I read it on their website. It is on their page when you put in your dates to reserve a spot. It states they only shuttle for Carnival, Royal and NCL. Anyone else can park there but have to find their own transportation to the port.

• Like 1