AXA is refusing to pay claim for emergency air fare to return home from Vietnam.

DuncNewt

Injured my knee while in Saigon. Went to hospital there. Received x-ray, ultrasound, and surgery. They told me to return to America and gave a letter for the insurance company saying that I had to travel in business class to keep my knee elevated. AXA is trying to treat this as only trip interruption and not medical.  They are trying to only pay me $1000 for that instead of the $8,000 in airfare.

Edited by Host Kat
Personal info removed per "Can My Post Be Edited Please? Posts will ONLY be edited if they contain personal information."

The problem may be that it was not authorized by the company prior to your return travel. See section (c) under covered expenses for Emergency Evacuation. Transportation has to be verified and arranged by the company’s representatives (Travel Assistance Company.)

Perhaps the agent/person who sold you the policy can offer some help to sort this out after-the-fact, if a more satisfactory outcome is possible.

Edited by Babr
Removed questionable link

1 hour ago, DuncNewt said:

Injured my knee while in Saigon. Went to hospital there. Received x-ray, ultrasound, and surgery. They told me to return to America and gave a letter for the insurance company saying that I had to travel in business class to keep my knee elevated. AXA is trying to treat this as only trip interruption and not medical.  They are trying to only pay me $Fitness fly - enhanced.pdf1000 for that instead of the $8,000 in airfare.

What do the terms of your travel insurance policy state about arrangement and payments for "travel home"?

Was there any requirement that you notify the insurer to arrange (or get permission) for the travel expenses in advance?

There may be requirements that they approve in advance the medical need for extra costs, etc.

Also, please note that your document gives your real name.  You might want to ask the mods to delete this (?).

But it also states:  "Business class recommended".  That's not necessarily the same as your wording above of "had to travel in business class".

Perhaps "recommended" is not sufficient for AXA, or perhaps at least not sufficient without more discussion or documentation?

GC

7 hours ago, DuncNewt said:

Injured my knee while in Saigon. Went to hospital there. Received x-ray, ultrasound, and surgery. They told me to return to America and gave a letter for the insurance company saying that I had to travel in business class to keep my knee elevated. AXA is trying to treat this as only trip interruption and not medical.  They are trying to only pay me $1000 for that instead of the $8,000 in airfare.

5 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

... Also, please note that your document gives your real name.  You might want to ask the mods to delete this (?)...

@DuncNewt

Your personal information has been removed per the following Can I Have My Post(s) Deleted? Edited? in Cruise Critic Community Help Center.