Luggage to airline

sailor24

From the HAL website.......and have a great cruise!

2. Luggage Direct

Luggage Direct offers you the opportunity to receive your airline boarding passes and check your luggage in to your flight while still onboard your Holland America Line ship. Our TSA-approved partners will take your luggage directly from the ship and deliver it to your outbound aircraft. You will claim your luggage when you arrive at your final airport destination.

If you want to make your trip home even easier, sign up for Bags VIP luggage delivery and eliminate having to deal with your luggage completely.* (See section for Bags VIP Luggage Delivery below for details.)

Luggage Direct offers:

• Ability to enjoy your final hours in port at your leisure without having to stand in line at the airport.
  • Avoid lines at disembarkation as you are invited to be the first to disembark
  • No need to locate your luggage or wait for a porters assistance in the terminal
  • Avoid lines at the airport — with boarding pass in hand and no luggage to check you can proceed directly to Security.
  • Luggage Direct is available on most of our vessels when sailing domestically in and out of the following ports:
    • Anchorage
    • Fort Lauderdale
    • Seattle
    • Copenhagen — NEW — our first international option (available for Lufthansa and SAS Airlines only)

For more information, or to sign up go to www.maketraveleasier.com/Holland or call 1‐877‐847‐0045 to speak to one of our customer service representatives.

Please note the following general information about Luggage Direct:

• Cost is $19.95 per person / $29.95 for Copenhagen
  • Airline-assessed baggage fees will be applied to guest’s onboard account when applicable as per your airlines rules.
  • Guests may check no more than 3 pieces of luggage per person.
  • Upgrade requests, seat assignment changes, and flight changes cannot be accommodated onboard.
  • Restrictions for each homeport city include participating airlines, earliest and latest flight times, and citizenship requirements.

• Thanks 1

Luggage direct is so worth it! You will likely be in the first group to disembark after the "self disembark" passengers go off, so there should be no lines at Immigration check. In FLL last month, all I had to do was walk up to the kiosk, let it check my face and I was okay to go. 

We used the Luggage Direct this past weekend in Ft. Lauderdale. I was nervous about using it with Southwest Airlines since HAL takes care of checking you in for the flight. I assumed we would be placed in one of the last boarding group positions (since SWA doesn't have assigned seating) but it worked out. We were assigned B39 and B40 for our boarding positions. They cautioned us that there was a chance our luggage direct request could be denied and we wouldn't know that until the last minute.

Our disembarkation packet was delivered on the last evening and contained our luggage tags and printed boarding passes. Our luggage had to be set out in the hallway before midnight and we didn't see it again until we landed at our final destination. (And we did NOT have a direct flight.)

We were told to disembark at 7:45 am. Our flight wasn't until 1:30 pm so we asked about staying on the ship longer and were told NO because customs agents would be expecting us earlier. To get through customs, we had a similar experience to the previous poster. Had our face check and then walked right through immigration. No showing our passport, no stopping at all. It was also nice to arrive at the airport and not have to check our bags. Using luggage direct also means you don't have to worry about overweight bags (according to the info we received.)

I will note that our price was $25 each, which is deducted from your onboard account. (We had OBC which covered our fees.) With SWA there are no bag fees, but unless you have someway to get free luggage on other airlines, you will have to pay the bag fees. 

• Like 1

I think the warning that the request may be denied is standard wording, just in case it happens.. I had a question about some detail and as I handed in my form, man at the front desk glanced at it and said, "Oh, United, they usually are quick to get back to us." I had my info and tags the next to last night, so I guess some airlines are more helpful/cooperative than others. 

My credit card gives me passes to the United lounge, so I was happy to settle in and wait there for my flight.

Edited to add: Just to clarify the post above for anyone who hasn't done luggage direct, the charge is $25 per person, whether you have one bag or two (or maybe three).

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

FlaMariner,  you mentioned that your quote came from the HAL website, but I can't find any reference to Luggage Direct being available in Copenhagen, Denmark on HAL's website (or on the link to Luggage Direct).  Everything I can find shows that the service is only available in Seattle and Miami, but would LOVE it if it was available in Copenhagen!   Can you direct me to the page you cited?  Thanks!

21 hours ago, johbeaker said:

FlaMariner,  you mentioned that your quote came from the HAL website, but I can't find any reference to Luggage Direct being available in Copenhagen, Denmark on HAL's website (or on the link to Luggage Direct).  Everything I can find shows that the service is only available in Seattle and Miami, but would LOVE it if it was available in Copenhagen!   Can you direct me to the page you cited?  Thanks!

Sure:

from the home page:

Go to ALREADY BOOKED

Go to KNOW BEFORE YOU GO

Go to FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Go to CRUISE PREPARATION

Go to WHAT ARE YOUR LUGGAGE SHIPPING SERVICES?