AK in October? Also, are pools heated?

dcsam

I see Seabourn is cruising Alaska into October. Anybody ever cruised there that late in the season?  If so, how was it?  I know Alaska can be quite rainy in the summer months (or beautiful sun and warm).  But October?  
Also, what’s the average temp of the pools?

Thank you!

Hi dcsam:

Last August, the main pool on Odyssey was quite warm - I would guess about 90F or more.  The pool on deck 5 by The Club was not as warm, but still nice.  Both areas have 2 hot tubs.  We liked the cooler pool and had the place mostly to ourselves. 

That far north, the days will already be short. But that might give you an opportunity to see the Northern Lights, skies permitting.

On our Odyssey trip in New Zealand last December pool was unheated and too cold for me.

On enquiry I was told this was another Seattle instigated cost saving.

On the last trip pre shutdown to Antarctica the pool on Quest was heated and very refreshing.

I'm afraid that these things are the new reality on Seabourn post resumption.  

October will be cold, rainy and generally not pleasant.  Not sure if you would even want to be in the pool.  There is also a chance of snow depending on the port.  I was really surprised when I saw how long the Alaska season is for 2023.  In the past they were out if Alaska by Labor Day.

We did the final AK cruise in 2018 and it was in late September.  Of the 14 days, 13 of them had no rain!  This contrasts with the 14 day cruise prior to ours where we are told that it rained nearly every day…

I did a fishing excursion in one port where the operator said that he couldn’t believe that he had a booking this late in the season as the likelihood of it going ahead was small.  Fortunately the aforementioned good weather meant we had a great day catching Pacific Halibut. 

It is a question of luck I guess!