Norwegian Sky - Stardust Theater shows, or lack thereof

Reno Dave

I"ve just taken my first NCL cruise in several years, an 11-day Panama Canal partial transit cruise aboard the Sky.  I was very surprised and disappointed by how few shows were offered in the Stardust Theater. The ship offered two production shows, one guest comedian, some games shows, and was dark about 1/3 of the time. Was this an anomaly, or is this the Sky's and/or NCL's new approach to onboard entertainment?

46 minutes ago, Reno Dave said:

I"ve just taken my first NCL cruise in several years, an 11-day Panama Canal partial transit cruise aboard the Sky.  I was very surprised and disappointed by how few shows were offered in the Stardust Theater. The ship offered two production shows, one guest comedian, some games shows, and was dark about 1/3 of the time. Was this an anomaly, or is this the Sky's and/or NCL's new approach to onboard entertainment?

We've just returned from B2B Panama Canal cruises on the Gem, and we had similarly poor (to no) entertainment offerings.  In fact, I'd say it was the worst entertainment we've ever had on a cruise.  We don't cruise for the entertainment, but when it's good, it does add value. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

We've just returned from B2B Panama Canal cruises on the Gem, and we had similarly poor (to no) entertainment offerings.  In fact, I'd say it was the worst entertainment we've ever had on a cruise.  We don't cruise for the entertainment, but when it's good, it does add value. 

We just return from the panama cruise on the gem as well (went only the second leg Panama -> NY), our experience differ from yours, we found the entertainment to be very good (Blazing Boots particularly).  There was three show by the Gem dance crew, one night there was no show because we were in port late, one night was the super bowl game on a big screen in the theater (with loads of food) and there was 2 nights with an incredible singer (Melissa McLaughlin, search her on youtube).

All in all, we really enjoyed (even though the music style by the gem dance crew were not our style, we still enjoyed pretty much). 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, marti2282 said:

So sorry to hear that. We sail Sky next month.

Most entertainment schedules are set up for 7-9 night cruises. And, when you got a bunch of extra nights for one-off cruises, they try to fill the time with guest entertainment or leave the show room dark. You don't contract for 12 nights of main showroom entertainment for a one-off cruise. You just have the normal entertainment out in the lounges. 

Edited by BirdTravels

48 minutes ago, Reno Dave said:

Yes, one was Rock You, the other was Showdown.

I thought that show was fantastic, mainly because the music was what I like and the performers did a great job.  We watched it twice.  The comedian in the showroom was also outstanding, and did two different shows.  I think we watched him three times, because much of his material was ad libbed driven by interactions with foolish audience members who engaged him.  I'm not saying that these were "bad" people, but they just walked into some (harmless) abuse by the comedian.