Transport MIA to Fort Lauderdale

ScotBrit17

Anyone recently travelled on Uber/Lyft from MIA to Fort Lauderdale airport area. I need a transport mid week around 20.00 hours from Miami International airport to a hotel at Fort Lauderdale airport and private companies are looking for $100+. At this time of day will Uber/Lyft be lower cost.

How close is the ride share area from arrivals. Trying to understand when I can book the Uber/Lyft, would prefer not to wait until I am at the pick-up area then book and wait 25 minutes for the car. Is it possible to book when through immigration and then walk to pick-up area whilst car is travelling.

I know these things are variable and depends on arrivals terminal and how difficult to get car but wondering if there is a general answer that will give guidance.

I am arriving on BA from London.

24 minutes ago, ScotBrit17 said:

How close is the ride share area from arrivals. Trying to understand when I can book the Uber/Lyft, would prefer not to wait until I am at the pick-up area then book and wait 25 minutes for the car. Is it possible to book when through immigration and then walk to pick-up area whilst car is travelling.

I know these things are variable and depends on arrivals terminal and how difficult to get car but wondering if there is a general answer that will give guidance.

I am arriving on BA from London.

No, you can't book when through Immigration, because then you have to claim your bag and go through Customs. Which could easily take another 30 minutes.

On 2/26/2023 at 7:52 PM, ScotBrit17 said:

Anyone recently travelled on Uber/Lyft from MIA to Fort Lauderdale airport area. I need a transport mid week around 20.00 hours from Miami International airport to a hotel at Fort Lauderdale airport and private companies are looking for $100+. At this time of day will Uber/Lyft be lower cost.

Hi

Last month I also arrived at MIA from London on BA. Now this was a Sunday evening and arrived around 7pm. I booked an Uber ride once I had got through immigration and safely picked up my bags. That process took about 45 minutes. Our Uber app indicated 5-10 minutes and almost immediately our driver was in touch. I assumed the pickup location was at the arrivals level middle waiting area as indicated on the MIA website. This was about 2-3 minutes walk.   After a short wait our driver got in touch to say he was waiting at departures !! Anyway a quick walk and elevator down a level and we safely got our lift. The journey to our Fort Lauderdale hotel close to the cruise port took about 40 minutes and cost $95 plus tip. Friendly driver and a safe journey.

Yes the fee was higher than I anticipated based on comments previously on this topic. It was a Sunday and by the time I had cleared immigration and picked up my bags it was just after 8.15pm. Immigration was packed so an indication of how many international flights arrived at that particular time. Maybe this is what caused rates to surge at that time? Still, it was a quick and safe ride and glad to reach my hotel in FL after a long flight.