Zandaam New England Questions

FreesiaE

Seek out poutine in Quebec at Chez Acton: a delicious combination of french fries, squeaky fresh curds topped with a savory thin gravy - this was the best place we found as we tried it all over when we could. 

Our biggest total surprise was visiting the  house of Anne of Green Gables on Prince Edwards Island. I had not even read the book, but it was just such a magical setting that we became intrigued with the author, the locale and the plucky little heroine. The bus ride to the house went through the prettiest country side. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spleenstomper said:

Thank you. Chateau Frontenac Did catch my eye as a cool looking hotel, so the tea excursion is what I’m thinking right now. 

im going to get a a map up and look at your other suggestions tomorrow thank you. I go to bed early. 

Bring money.  High tea is like $65 Cdn/pp.  Absolutely beautiful space though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Seek out poutine in Quebec at Chez Acton: a delicious combination of french fries, squeaky fresh curds topped with a savory thin gravy - this was the best place we found as we tried it all over when we could. 

Our biggest total surprise was visiting the  house of Anne of Green Gables on Prince Edwards Island. I had not even read the book, but it was just such a magical setting that we became intrigued with the author, the locale and the plucky little heroine. The bus ride to the house went through the prettiest country side. 

Although renting a car in port always made DH nervous, I convinced him to rent one on PEI so we could go to our own selection of places. I had read and loved Anne when I was about her age, so I wanted to see Green Gables. We got there just as the morning buses were leaving and left just as the afternoon buses were arriving. We had the place to ourselves.

Anne was a drama queen, as most girls that age are, and I wondered if I would still love Anne, or if she would annoy me (I had taught that age 😱). I reread the first book before the cruise. It shows how well the characters were written that I still loved the book. And having reread it, I appreciated seeing so many details from the story, like the fainting couch and the bottle of raspberry cordial. I also found a biography of the author in the ship's library, and reading that enhanced my visit, too. 

I'll pass on the poutine. (Did you mean Chez Ashton?) But if you want a patisserie in Quebec City, it's worth the walk up to Paillard. (I did say I research food sources!) Brioche so sweet it needed nothing more than to be eaten. And gateau opera, my favorite. 

• Like 3

Thanks 3rd Gen for the correction: Yes in Quebec,  the real deal Poutine is at Chez Ashton 

Worth seeking out this location (near the Palais) because we never found it quite as good anywhere else: https://www.tasteatlas.com/chezashton/poutine   If the curds do not squeak and all is not freshly made, it is not "real" poutine.  Then it becomes only a slimy glop -filling for sure, but nothing as magical.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Thanks 3rd Gen for the correction: Yes in Quebec,  the real deal Poutine is at Chez Ashton 

Worth seeking out this location (near the Palais) because we never found it quite as good anywhere else: https://www.tasteatlas.com/chezashton/poutine   If the curds do not squeak and all is not freshly made, it is not "real" poutine.  Then it becomes only a slimy glop -filling for sure, but nothing as magical.

In PEI you want the mussels - maybe best in the world, incl green lips from New Zealand.

Lived in eastern Canada for 3 yrs and tried poutine a couple of times - not a fan.  It's a calorie bomb designed to sate skaters on the Rideau Canal and lumberjacks in Quebec that can burn it off in a few hours - or maybe a day.  For cruisers, you might as well tape it to your waist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, shack said:

In PEI you want the mussels - maybe best in the world, incl green lips from New Zealand.

Lived in eastern Canada for 3 yrs and tried poutine a couple of times - not a fan.  It's a calorie bomb designed to sate skaters on the Rideau Canal and lumberjacks in Quebec that can burn it off in a few hours - or maybe a day.  For cruisers, you might as well tape it to your waist.

That is the way I look at it too.  I can't eat like that.  No wonder some think that an ounce of fish is a sufficient serving for dinner.  If I at like that I wouldn't need to eat for a day.