Car service Red Hook

amias

Can anyone recommend a car service to take us from Red Hook to Penn Station? Is Uber or Lyft a good option?  We waited a very long time for a taxi last time we returned following a crossing and thought that a pre-booked car might be the best way to go. Would appreciate hearing other people's experiences.

51 minutes ago, amias said:

Can anyone recommend a car service to take us from Red Hook to Penn Station? Is Uber or Lyft a good option?

Uber/Lyft would be the way I would do it and have done numerous times a Red Hook. As you said, taxi wait times can be unreliable there in the morning. You can also use Carmel or Dial7, which are pre arranged car services although you'll most likely pay a bit more than Uber/Lyft as these will be priced more along the lines of UberBlack rather than the less expensive UberX. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Carmel and Dial 7 both have apps as well. As a Brooklyn resident, I've used both to the Brooklyn port and I've also used Lyft/Uber but the backup can sometimes be a pain.

Leaning towards Lyft lately as cheaper plus I have a credit card that gets extra points with them as well 🙂 I have yet to sail out of Brooklyn post-pandemic. 

I've also been known to take the subway to sail from Manhattan Cruise Terminal and walked from 8th Ave but no subway in Red Hook anywhere close to the port. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 10:08 AM, Brighton Line said:

I've also been known to take the subway to sail from Manhattan Cruise Terminal and walked from 8th Ave but no subway in Red Hook anywhere close to the port. 

Most people I know use the B61 bus between the subway and the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Certainly a bit clumsy having to do so, especially in comparison to the greater convenience of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and its easy walk to and from the Eighth Avenue subway. A few people I know use the NYC Ferry, but since it has no free transfer to or from the subway it has been a second tier choice.

Among the objections I have to the car services are their excessive costs and also the necessity of having to find and use one particular vehicle (rather than having the flexibility in boarding the first bus, train, or ferry available when i want to depart). Just for fun I tried the Carmel website for ascertaining the ease of booking and cost from my home to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. The booking engine worked fine, but the $61 fare (plus gratuity) was rather steep. (I also noticed that if I used a wheelchair, the price given by Carmel is $10 higher, a violation of the ADA.) It is nice to know that, if I were to be carrying a huge amount of baggage, there are car services that could be booked without too much trouble.