Screenshots Princess MDR Wine List

A few on this forum have been asking about updated wine pricing.

We're currently on Majestic and I've just taken screenshots of the MDR lists for wine on App.

This is our first cruise back without Plus Package so we brought our own this trip and paying corkage (hit and miss whether they charge this $15 fee - the desk was unattended in Brisbane when boarding).

Screenshot_20230302_064243.jpg

Screenshot_20230302_064223.jpg

Screenshot_20230302_064325.jpg

Screenshot_20230302_064303.jpg

Screenshot_20230302_064405.jpg

Screenshot_20230302_064344.jpg

Screenshot_20230302_064109.jpg

Screenshot_20230302_064128.jpg

Screenshot_20230302_064209.jpg

Screenshot_20230302_064145.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those $23 wines are a blatant rip off, and the price is not a random choice. Shame on Princess.

On the package, there is very little that you could call a good quality wine, mostly bottom level cask wine quality at Champagne prices. 

Wonder how long it will take Princess to increase the corkage charge on BYO wines or limit the number you can bring aboard?

19 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The prices shown above are more reason to take your own wine and pay the corkage. The Blue Sand Pinot Grigio that is $51, is $36 on PO.

It was about that price on Princess last week too. One wonders how long P&O will have it at $36.

Just now, arxcards said:

It was about that price on Princess last week too. One wonders how long P&O will have it at $36.

I hope they keep it at $36 for our next two P&O cruises booked. 🙂The Blue Sand was recommended by our waiter last year. We found it quite good.

• Like 1

@Tripmode33 Thank you so much. I can now budget for some wines by the bottle to make up for the pathetic selection of wines by the glass under the Plus package. Our next cruise departs from Melbourne. We can't be bothered chasing around buying wines before we embark as we won't have a car there.

34 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I hope they keep it at $36 for our next two P&O cruises booked. 🙂The Blue Sand was recommended by our waiter last year. We found it quite good.

That's good to hear. I was a bit nervous of trying it due to the region it comes from. Not a typical Pinot Grigio growing region.

I don't know why Princess isn't offering more variety of wines by the glass. It's just crazy. And I won't say any more about the poor quality, I think I've raved about that enough. 

We only paid $30pp for the Plus package on our upcoming cruise so we'll still get value for money even if we buy wines for dinner.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's good to hear. I was a bit nervous of trying it due to the region it comes from. Not a typical Pinot Grigio growing region.

I don't know why Princess isn't offering more variety of wines by the glass. It's just crazy. And I won't say any more about the poor quality, I think I've raved about that enough. 

We only paid $30pp for the Plus package on our upcoming cruise so we'll still get value for money even if we buy wines for dinner.

Julie, I have to caution you. 😁 We aren't wine experts.

I agree that you will get value out of the Plus package at $30pp.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Julie, I have to caution you. 😁 We aren't wine experts.

I agree that you will get value out of the Plus package at $30pp.

It doesn't matter. Pinot Grigio is usually a wine that is very drinkable. Anyway anything would be better than that ghastly overoaked de Bortoli Chardonnay.

Internet, one espresso, one cocktail and some bottled water will get us to the break even point. 

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We too have $30 plus package bookings coming up, through to March 2024. Certainly miss that pricing.

I also note one of the 'best of the bad' wines on Plus that we drank by the glass, Masterpiece Merlot, is now $77 bottle on Princess - was $39 on Luminosa a few weeks ago!

12 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Just bought a bottle of Sav blanc Ruffled Feather $34. It will do for balcony sail away. 

Found the comedy club bar had a nice white by bottle under $40 not available other bars.

1 minute ago, Tripmode33 said:

That's double price on Princess. Big difference when you purchase a bottle daily like us.

Yes. Comparing to the Princess list and our recent Adventure cruise. Carnival is less. Bucket of beer 6 $45 on Luminosa now. 

1 minute ago, Tripmode33 said:

Found the comedy club bar had a nice white by bottle under $40 not available other bars.

OK going there in a couple of hours will check it out. Love this ship so far. Not too big... Bit of Spirit bit of Splendour. Staff on Carnival are so great. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

We too have $30 plus package bookings coming up, through to March 2024. Certainly miss that pricing.

I also note one of the 'best of the bad' wines on Plus that we drank by the glass, Masterpiece Merlot, is now $77 bottle on Princess - was $39 on Luminosa a few weeks ago!

Yikes! That is a very nice Merlot but that bottle price is ridiculous. Although it's not what many people would think about to pair with a dessert it is a match made in heaven with the Princess Love Boat Dream dessert. Red wines do go very well with dark chocolate and the merlot has rasperry notes as well. $15 a bottle retail from the winery so that Luminosa price is probably about the right mark-up. Princess are price-gouging!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Our next cruise departs from Melbourne. We can't be bothered chasing around buying wines before we embark as we won't have a car there.

If you want to drink stuff you actually like at reasonable prices, there are several easily reached liquor shops in the Melbourne CBD.

There's a Dan Murphy's near the corner of Swanston and Lonsdale Streets, in the Queen Victoria Village complex.

There's a Vintage Cellars at 215 Little Bourke Street, which is right in the middle of Chinatown, for a good meal as well.

4 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

If you want to drink stuff you actually like at reasonable prices, there are several easily reached liquor shops in the Melbourne CBD.

There's a Dan Murphy's near the corner of Swanston and Lonsdale Streets, in the Queen Victoria Village complex.

There's a Vintage Cellars at 215 Little Bourke Street, which is right in the middle of Chinatown, for a good meal as well.

Yes but I want to try the by-the-bottle wines onboard. We're doing the world cruise next year and if they still have the same pathetic wines by the glass, and the same full wine list, I want to know what wines are worth buying by the bottle at the discount package rate. Then I can work out how many cases of wine we'll need to take onboard with us.

4 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

There are several bottle shops in Bay Street, Port Melbourne. Quite close to the pier. 

3 hours ago, Docker123 said:

There are several bottle shops in Bay Street, Port Melbourne. Quite close to the pier. 

Thanks but I need to do some research on what is available onboard. I'd hate to have to try to take enough wine for 110 days, that's 9 cases! 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Thanks but I need to do some research on what is available onboard. I'd hate to have to try to take enough wine for 110 days, that's 9 cases! 

You could take a couple of cases when you board in Sydney and buy a couple more at Dan Murphy's when you are in Brisbane. Then stock up a bit more at other ports.

Edited by Aus Traveller

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

You could take a couple of cases when you board in Sydney and buy a couple more at Dan Murphy's when you are in Brisbane. Then stock up a bit more at other ports.

I'm looking at all options but if we do take wine onboard I'd prefer to do it from Sydney as we get some wines direct from the wineries that aren't available at Dan's. Getting more from overseas ports is a bit trickier as we don't know the wines that might be available and that world cruise doesn't stop at any other Australian ports after Brisbane.

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm looking at all options but if we do take wine onboard I'd prefer to do it from Sydney as we get some wines direct from the wineries that aren't available at Dan's. Getting more from overseas ports is a bit trickier as we don't know the wines that might be available and that world cruise doesn't stop at any other Australian ports after Brisbane.

You will probably be going on another Princess cruise prior to the 2024 world cruise. Maybe it would be worth asking someone in authority if you can check in cartons of wine and pay the corkage on board, either when you retrieve them from Security, or when you take bottles to the dining room. Although, it's possible that whatever you are told, won't necessarily be what happens on a later cruise.