Need Help with Flight info from DTW to SJU for May

scooby4048

Hello Everyone,

Need help with flight fares from Detroit Metro to San Juan PR, for May13, returning 21.

The fares are so expensive. Looking to book for under $400/pp.

I've tried just about every online site there is. I even have spread sheets with airfare information.

Any help you all could provide, I would be most greatful.

Don't think you are going to do it. You could get it to about $450 if you fly on the 22nd, on Delta, but factoring in another day in San Juan and possible a day missed at work, you should just pay the approx $600 it sits at right now. Unfortunately San Juan is not a drive-up market, so everyone has to fly home after a cruise. The airlines know this and price accordingly.

<400 is going to be tough. Flying anywhere in the caribbean is going to cost 5-700.00 most of the time. If Spirit flys there, check their fares.

We went to SJU last year, the wife and I used NW miles to fly free. Cheapest we could get for your daughter from DTW was 580. We didn't mind so much since 3 of us went for that price in cash:D

Check with Continental. I've been looking at the same flights for September. I would prefer to fly out of Kalamazoo and at one point it was $378 plus taxes on American but I hesitated. Now it has been $478 plus taxes for several weeks. I found Continental at $368 plus $54 tax for a total of $422 per person out of Detroit. I live in Battle Creek and have no desire to fly out of Chicago.

I figure no matter what I do now I will mess up.If I book now the prices will drop, if I wait they'll go up. Good luck.

Robin

Destiny Sept 2006

Just looked at Spirit. It was over $600 for these dates.

Continental was just over $500 for the afternoon return flight. The cheaper flights were in the morning when you wouldn't be able to get to them in time from the ship.

AA, NWA, and United were all in the 550-600 range.

Thanks everyone. Has anyone had any luck booking different carriers for the departure and the return?

I was trying to wait for 'the sale' and I haven't seen any. Hotwire had a statement saying that they don't list their best fares until 60 days out, and I was kinda waiting for that.

But like Mininutrsp said, 'if i book now the prices will drop and if I wait they'll go up'.

No matter what I will keep checking. Thanks again

If you are willing to drive a bit, you can fly JetBlue from Buffalo for around $340++ returning on the 22nd. You might want to check CO fares out of CLE.

Unfortunately, DTW is a fortress hub and fares tend to reflect that. It is often possible to find cheaper fares out of Flint (FNT) or Toledo (TOL) that end up connecting through DTW!! And you get an extra 500 FF miles to boot. Give those cities a try.

Thanks FlyerTalker, for the suggestion. Trust me when I say that I've tried every airport remotely close and not so close, ORD, FNT, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, etc......

But a road trip may be the solution. I read another post on this board abut New Jersey, and found their fares to be under $250. So, I ran it across DH, about driving to Jersey, getting a hotel and catching the plane to San Juan from Jersey. I know it's a drive, but the money that we'll save will pay for the rental car, gas and the hotel. And we'll still have some money left over.

So I'll see what he says. But I do hope that fares go down, at least $100 bucks or so....... :cool:

Just ran your info on Ita software.

Cleveland has the best fare,

Continental airlines leaves Cleveland 6:45am arrives in SJU at 3:59pm. Return: 2:15pm arrives in Cleveland at 10:08pm. Go to continental and check it out. I hope I helped a little.

If it's an option try changing your return date to May 22. You might be able to get a ticket for $430.00pp. I am also looking for tickets to SJU for Oct 29-Nov 5. I havent found anything under $420.00. I am looking daily for a deal of $300.00 or under. I dont think it is going to happen. How far is Jersey from DTW? Like you I am also looking at all the airports including Chicago and Milwaukee. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Momofslg - I tried searching ITA and I still found flights to be in the $500 range. Maybe I was doing something wrong, or it's too late in the evening...... :mad: But thanks for the suggestion... I will keep trying.

SWEETNLOW2005 - Cute name.. Unfortunately, we have to return on Sunday. It's a drive to Jersey. I looked it up in Mapquest and it says 10 hrs. So that would definitely be a road trip. But it would be a nice trip. I've never been on the east coast other than Atlantic City. It could be a nice pre-cruise drive.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted. Keep the suggestions coming....

scooby4048- here is a post from another member . The price from Jersey is great.

I just booked a great fare from Newark NJ to San Juan for our Nov. 4th sailing on the Crown Princess-199.50 per person. I have been watching fares for a couple of months and lowest was 324.00/pp. Flying Continental down and American back. It was actually cheaper to fly two different airlines for the times I wanted to fly! Just thought I would pass the tip on!

Happy Cruising All

Do you have to go out of Detroit? We were thinking of doing that but then we checked the prices from Buffalo to San Juan on American Airlines and it is $248 return, leaving from Detroit was over $500 return. For us it is a 2.5 hour drive either way so the price is what did it for us. Buffalo here we come!!

SweetNLow2005 - See what I'm talking about!!!! that is a really good price. It's just the drive that's going to be taxing.......

Fun Cruiserz - No it does not have to be Detroit. The cheapest fare will be the determining factor, as with you. And you are right, the prices are well over $500. but I will keep looking.

Thanks for all the tips. If anyone has any other suggestions, please pass them on.

How is your search going? I am looking for Jan. for Detroit to San Juan and have not found anything under $400. I know when I booked the cruise, airfare for that flight was ALOT cheaper so maybe sales are coming up. Or is it that the price of gas is keeping the price up so there won't be good sales?

Hope you find a good deal! Then let us know!

Hello MIcruiser99 - Yes, I am still searching. Right now the cheapest that I've been able to come up with and will probably have to book is to book one way from EWR to SJU, then book DTW to EWR (the reason being, i have a voucher for free companion with regular fare, but does not include the carribean). Still with me??? ;)

Then, book SJU to DTW. I know it sounds confusing, and it really is. And I think that it's different carriers too. And different travel sites. I know that one leg of the trip is $99/pp($198), the other is $125, and $263 from SJU to DTW.

When I was researching these exact same flights from DTW to SJU the fare is running about $625/pp.

So, unless something changes in the next 2 weeks or so, I'll have to go with booking each leg separately. And not to mention these are direct flights, with good departure and arrival times.

I will keep trying and keep you posted. Suggestions are welcomed.

Hi all. Just thought I'd chime in on this discussion concerning air fare to SJU since we're taking a 7-day cruise on the Destiny during school Christmas break with the kids (12/17/2006 - 12/24/2006). After looking for the last 2 months, we've finally accepted airfare cost between $400/$500 per person. The best we could do is $450.00(thru travelocity.com) and this is out of Cleveland (3 hr. drive) and we got excellent departure and return times (flying in a day early). We wanted to fly out of Detroit but the cost was $503. We checked other cities near us (Lansing, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Flint, Toledo) but the airfare was way over $500. Wish we could have done better but didn't want to wait too long because I was afraid the rates would go up instead of come down.

Archived