I want to perfect my plan....

On 3/4/2023 at 5:56 AM, soremekun said:

I acknowledge your statement about always flying to Miami.

Option Q (A - P have been considered) - Fly to FLL and stay in a hotel near the airport.  Take an UBER, shuttle, or cruise transfer service to cruise port.

American offers limited service to FLL,  and a ton to MIA,  their hub.   We're picking up kids from school, headed straight to the airport, MIA was the only option in our time frame.

It's also spring break, we can't change flights or hotels now.... 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 6:49 AM, Dan83 said:

The convenience of Uber/Lyft is sometimes worth the extra expense. To me the hassle of picking up and returning rental cars is not worth considering for a stay of less than 24 hours. Not to mention driving and parking in an unfamiliar city. Also the hotel you are staying at, is it one of the port hotels that offer a shuttle to the ship? 

As a business traveler, the rental car process is easy for me, I do it all the time.  

Typically I get off the plane while my wife and kids go to baggage claim, I hop the monorail to Hertz, grab my car (no lines, no wait, frequent customer), and pull out the lot and make it back to baggage claim and the bags haven't even starting coming off the belt yet.  I'm also super familiar with South Florida driving.   Not to mention it's $30  for the rental car, $180 for the UberXL/limo. 

Many times I do the limo as you mentioned it's just easier, but I know often times folks on this board have some method of doing things I've never thought of..... so figured I'd check.

1 hour ago, RCCL Fan said:

Yeah that's likely what we'll do.  

Issue is you have to lug all your bags out of the Rental Car Center,  across the highway to the terminal,  then down to Baggage Claim, and walk down to the uber pick up area,  where our last two experiences we would order an uber, the driver would get moments away and cancel.   It's super annoying.

This is probably the most challenging part of a cruise vacation. I was trying to figure out a way to streamline the process about a month ago. I thought about the whole dropping everyone off at the port before turning in the car option. Though Miami has a shuttle to the ship, I was advised against it because the traffic can be ridiculous.

43 minutes ago, NoShoes2 said:

This is probably the most challenging part of a cruise vacation. I was trying to figure out a way to streamline the process about a month ago. I thought about the whole dropping everyone off at the port before turning in the car option. Though Miami has a shuttle to the ship, I was advised against it because the traffic can be ridiculous.

I agreed  30 years of cruising under my belt and I haven't figured out anything better than paying for that limo yet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

I can!

It's hard to get a taxi?  

I would at least drop the luggage (and POSSIBLY others in the traveling party) at the pier, return the rental, go to departures, and call for uber/lyft.  If that didn't work within 5 minutes or so, hop in a taxi. Taxis can't refuse rides I don't believe.