Using messaging app onboard with a phone or iPad

zitsky

Am I right that I can use the Celebrity messaging app from any device?  Phone, iPad etc?  Do you create a username / password and that is how the messaging app finds you?  Is it the username you set up for the Wi-Fi?

You can use it for that purpose but is very limited.    Most report that there is no audible  signal when you receive a message.   I seem to remember hearing a very light ping.  

You create an account on your phone and choose free internet.    With this you can access your celebrity app, and can use all the free functions.   You then have to link the other members you want to communicate with.    It is pretty easy but don't remember how it is done.

Edited by Jim_Iain

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You can use it for that purpose but is very limited.    Most report that there is no signal when you receive a message.   I seem to remember hearing a very light ping.

Thanks.  I knew there would be a catch.  Maybe iMessage on iPhone is an option?  I don’t know if it works over Wi-Fi.

Just now, zitsky said:

Thanks.  I knew there would be a catch.  Maybe iMessage on iPhone is an option?  I don’t know if it works over Wi-Fi.

IMessaging works great over the WiFi as well as FaceTime and Wifi Calling. Also programs like WhatsAPP work well.   For these you will require at least a Basic Package.

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

IMessaging works great over the WiFi as well as FaceTime and Wifi Calling. Also programs like WhatsAPP work well.   For these you will require at least a Basic Package.

Ok thanks.  Yes one of us has basic and the other streaming.  But I’m not sure I’ll need streaming.

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Ok thanks.  Yes one of us has basic and the other streaming.  But I’m not sure I’ll need streaming.

You will be fine if all your doing is light browsing, email, texting etc.

21 hours ago, zitsky said:

Am I right that I can use the Celebrity messaging app from any device?  Phone, iPad etc?  Do you create a username / password and that is how the messaging app finds you?  Is it the username you set up for the Wi-Fi?

I was excited that the Celebrity app offered messaging but discovered that users need to check within the app itself to see if they've received a message. No sound, no indication on the app's icon, etc., that I could figure out, so it was clunky and we didn't use it.

Otherwise, the Celebrity app offers a lot of functionality/convenience -- not to mention speeding up the check-in process -- and we used it regularly to keep track of our schedule, check our onboard spending, find out restaurant/bar times, etc.

Finally, we had the basic WiFi plan and could only use one device per registered guest at a time. So, to be clear, we could each use a device on WiFi at the same time but -- if I wanted to switch from my mobile to my tablet, for instance -- I would need to login to the WiFi on my tablet, which logged me out on my mobile. It's not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

Hope this helps!

cjr