Watch your personal items in Cartagena

JennKach

We just returned from the NCL Jewel cruise which visited Cartagena.  My husband and I chose a ship excursion that visited a couple historic sites and ended with a stop in the Old Town Square.  I took the usual precautions of not wearing jewelry, keeping just a small amount of cash readily available so I didn't have to open a bag, turning my bag over so the zipper was not accessible, keeping phone out of sight, etc. Unfortunately two people on our bus were targeted while in the Square.  The tour guide had an expensive watch that someone grabbed from his arm.  The thief didn't count on his boxing skills though and ended up on the pavement and then arrested, but the watch was broken in the fall.  Another passenger had their phone ripped out of their hand.  Ironically the guide had mentioned several times that Cartagena is very safe for tourists.  Just be aware and protect your items while touring.   

• Thanks 3

• 6 months later...
On 3/7/2023 at 8:59 AM, JennKach said:

Ironically the guide had mentioned several times that Cartagena is very safe for tourists.  Just be aware and protect your items while touring.   

Wow.  Usually tour groups are left alone, because the tour guide (as a local) can detect the crooks.

But in this case, the actual tour guide was actually targeted too....  That takes it to another level.

Yes that's what I thought too.  We've traveled all over the world and I can count on one hand the number of times I've felt uncomfortable or unsafe.  The square is just so crowded with people selling things, tourists overwhelmed with aggressive vendors following them around, and in general a chaotic environment.  It was really hard to enjoy the sights.  

• 2 months later...