When to visit Florence ?

marycharlie

We are arriving at the cruise terminal in Rome on Oct 22/23 and will be flying out of Rome on Oct 28/23. During this time we would like to see the main sites in the city as well as a couple of days in Florence. We were thinking of spending the first 3 nights in Rome storing our luggage at a hotel for 2 days while we take the train to Florence and then returning to Rome, same hotel for our last night before leaving for the airport the next morning. 

Would welcome some advise suggestions on whether this sound like a good plan? Would it be better to visit Florence at the beginning or end of our stay?

Also if you have some suggestions for accommodations they would be much appreciated. TIA

Florence has an odd schedule of closings. So keep that in mind as well.

Some museums (Accademia, Uffizi) are closed on Mondays. The Mercato Centrale (foodie paradise) is closed Sundays. There are many other random "twice a month on Thursday afternoon" types of closures -- Rick Steves' guide to Florence has a handy chart that it would pay to look at so you don't arrive in Florence only to find something you had your heart set on is closed.

There are fewer closures toward the end of the week, so (looking at the calendar) I think your plan makes sense.

Hello cruisemom42, I have spent the better part of 2 days reading your reviews and suggestions, 

everything is so helpful. I have booked one of the hotels you recommended in Rome and am so excited to visit. I was hoping you could recommend a 3 * hotel with breakfast or B&B in Venice and Florence as well. TIA.

On 3/7/2023 at 4:54 PM, marycharlie said:

We are arriving at the cruise terminal in Rome on Oct 22/23 and will be flying out of Rome on Oct 28/23. During this time we would like to see the main sites in the city as well as a couple of days in Florence. We were thinking of spending the first 3 nights in Rome storing our luggage at a hotel for 2 days while we take the train to Florence and then returning to Rome, same hotel for our last night before leaving for the airport the next morning. 

Would welcome some advise suggestions on whether this sound like a good plan? Would it be better to visit Florence at the beginning or end of our stay?

Also if you have some suggestions for accommodations they would be much appreciated. TIA

I like your plan.   Only suggestion is maybe spend the last night in rome at the airport Hilton.   That might complicate your luggage storage, however.  

7 hours ago, marycharlie said:

Hello cruisemom42, I have spent the better part of 2 days reading your reviews and suggestions, 

everything is so helpful. I have booked one of the hotels you recommended in Rome and am so excited to visit. I was hoping you could recommend a 3 * hotel with breakfast or B&B in Venice and Florence as well. TIA.

Thanks for the nice compliment. 😁

I'm not sure I can be a lot of help with Florence. Last time I stayed there was 2018 and we (my son and I) got a great rate on what is normally a very pricey hotel because a) it had just reopened after renovation and b) it was late November!  Prices there during regular season border on astronomical...  I have heard good things from a friend who visits Florence frequently about Hotel Brunelleschi. It is extremely well located (near the Duomo) and although it is a four star hotel the rates can be reasonable if booked well ahead. I can ask her for other suggestions if that doesn't work for you....

Where in Venice do you want to be located? 

Thanks, checked on the Hotel Brunelleschi and although it looks beautiful its also $1700 cdn for 2 nights which is a bit too pricey for us. We're looking at more like $200-$250 cdn/night including breakfast. 

We were  looking at Laconda La Corte in Venice but we really have no idea where to stay. Have been checking this site, booking, trip advisor etc. We'll be arriving at Marco Polo airport and staying for 4 nights before departing on a cruise. The search continues.....😀

2 hours ago, marycharlie said:

Thanks, checked on the Hotel Brunelleschi and although it looks beautiful its also $1700 cdn for 2 nights which is a bit too pricey for us. We're looking at more like $200-$250 cdn/night including breakfast. 

We were  looking at Laconda La Corte in Venice but we really have no idea where to stay. Have been checking this site, booking, trip advisor etc. We'll be arriving at Marco Polo airport and staying for 4 nights before departing on a cruise. The search continues.....😀

In Venice we stayed at the hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo and were pleased.   It has been a few years though.  It looks to be in your price range.   

Edited by CCJack

On 3/7/2023 at 8:17 PM, marazul said:

It makes no difference, but be aware that mondays most museums are closed, but the Vatican and Colosseum are open.

I was just about to say...not on a Monday.... 😜.  Our 12 day cruise just happened to land with our Florence stop on a Monday so we weren't able to get into the Accademia Gallery.  Just as well I guess, as it gave us more time on our tour to walk around and explore. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good plan, we visited Florence and Rome before our cruise last October.  We just did the opposite because we went from Venice to Florence to Rome.  The train is super easy.

We stayed at Hotel Damaso in Rome, very nice hotel and excellent location.  We had them hold our extra luggage while we were on the cruise and then went back for a night before our flight the next day. I'm sure most hotels would hold your luggage while you go to Florence. We used Stefano's Rome Cabs for transfers to and from the cruise port and also to the airport.  They were fantastic!!