Covid Test

debbyma

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Surprised to read about the Covid onboard, too. News hasn't mentioned anything recently, and I just checked a website I relied on during the pandemic, don't see anything related to the countries being visited by the Marina at the moment.

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe they have not reached  the 2-3% of crew & pax infected  to warrant  a report to CDC & the news 🤔

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

There won't be any reports made to the CDC because this cruise isn't under US jurisdiction. It's a South America itinerary from Buenos Aires to Lima.

I just want to add a bit to my previous response: The CDC eliminated its COVID-specific reporting program in July, 2022 so even if the cruise were under US jurisdiction you wouldn't be able to access a report detailing COVID illness counts. The Vessel Sanitation Program reporting is for GI illness, not COVID, so the 2% and 3%  thresholds weren't in play regardless.

When entering any port the ship's master is required to report contagious diseases on board in order to obtain "free pratique", which is the clearance granted by local authorities to enter the port. Obviously COVID is just one of any number of illnesses that must be reported, but again there's no published or publicly available report that would contain the data. I doubt the captain is "flippantly cancelling ports", to quote @pinotlover. If there are significant numbers of COVID cases or other contagious diseases on board the ship is likely being denied free pratique at some ports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, njhorseman said:

There won't be any reports made to the CDC because this cruise isn't under US jurisdiction. It's a South America itinerary from Buenos Aires to Lima.

I guess what I mean is that, unlike a couple of years ago, I haven't seen any blaring, clickbait headlines shouting "cruise ship has Covid outbreak, has to cancel ports." These kinds of things are normally front page news on sites like Cruisehive, etc. That's why I was surprised.

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

When entering any port the ship's master is required to report contagious diseases on board in order to obtain "free pratique", which is the clearance granted by local authorities to enter the port. Obviously COVID is just one of any number of illnesses that must be reported, but again there's no published or publicly available report that would contain the data. I doubt the captain is "flippantly cancelling ports", to quote @pinotlover. If there are significant numbers of COVID cases or other contagious diseases on board the ship is likely being denied free pratique at some ports.

For sure! Captain announced on the ship we were on 2 weeks ago that if the COVID numbers went up, we would not be allowed into Japan.