Late flight out of Anchorage after cruise - what to do?

Golfbag

Our cruise debarks in Whittier early morning and our transfers to Anchorage are included in our fare.  However, our flight doesn't leave Anchorage until10:30 PM.  We will have about 10 people.  We really aren't interested in a bus type tour - thinking about getting a room so we can park our luggage and chill.  Do some exploring of Anchorage prior to getting to the airport.  Is there a better plan for this situation?  Open to all suggestions and thanks in advance for your help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a few hotels downtown that offer an airport shuttle and it’s the best place to explore from for a day without a car.  I think the trick might be the hotel allowing 10 people into one room even for the day. The Visit Anchorage office used to have a list of hotels that provide a shuttle. If you stay anywhere other than downtown you will most likely need transportation to get to most of the venues. The airport area near Lake Hood is good and the walk around the lake is nice if the weather is good. They used to have a segway excursion that would take you around the lake while watching the float planes come and go. There’s also the Aviation Museum that is walkable from the airport hotel area. Depends on what you see your day looking like. Downtown or the airport. Midtown hotels can be cheaper but again, you’ll need transportation.

The cruise line offers some tour options with the transfer such as a Portage Glacier cruise, a stop at the Conservation Center, etc. that are good.  I believe the transfers will also drop you off downtown so you can wander around.  I would plan on being at the airport at least 4 hours before flight time.  It's a zoo, with sometimes several thousand passengers waiting for their evening flights.  It's also a pretty interesting airport.

We were in the same situation last summer.  So we booked an air tour that took use to the Arctic Circle!  Made the decision, pretty much just to say we'd been there, but it was so interesting and informative, I'd do it again.

We took a little sesna (seats 6 people), flew to the airstrip next to the Dalton Highway in Coldfoot, Alaska (famous for the Ice Road Truckers show we were told).  Then piled into a van and went to a man's house, for a tour and a lesson on the "wilds" of Alaska.  Heard about how he hibernates all winter, saw his farm and garden and where he stores his food for the winter.  Beautiful countryside in the Summer, uninhibited and protected.

And we have certificates to prove we were in the Arctic!

Where is the cruise shuttle to Anchorage dropping you off? Downtown? the Airport? If downtown, my husband and I stayed at the Anchorage Comfort Inn at Ship Creek which provided a free airport shuttle. I can't imagine they would do that for 10 people however, if you rented one room. The Anchorage Museum was an easy walk from the Comfort Inn and we found that fascinating. I think that would be something a big group would enjoy  Maybe you could call the Inn, explain your situation, pay for one room and just use the room for luggage. The group could hang out in their lounge, explore Anchorage by foot and then get your own transportation to the airport..

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 8:47 PM, AKStafford said:

I'd rent a couple of cars and head to the Matanuska Glacier for a guided glacier hike.

Can you tell me about the guided glacier hike—which company, fitness level, see ice caves on basic hike or just “advanced”??  Thanks!