Breakaway or Escape March 2024

thedoc29ca

Trying to decide between two cruises and looking for insights / opinions to see if I missing anything in the comparison.  I tend to over analyze and plan so thanks for enabling me.  Lol.  Travelling with my wife.   Her sister, husband and 3 sons (ages 14,10,8) would like to join us.  

Tail of the Tape

Breakaway out of New Orleans visiting Cozumel, Routan, Harvest Caye and Costa Maya.  
Escape out of Canaveral visiting Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Great Stirrup.

Port of Departure and day of departure - I give the edge to Breakaway - never been to New Orleans before and with a Sunday departure can go in 1-2 days early and explore. Escape goes out Saturday and with needing to work Friday not much time to enjoy pre-cruise.  

Ship - Edge Breakaway - I think slightly.   We’ve been on Getaway and Escape and I prefer Getaway and am assuming Breakaway would be similar.   Also feel that my nephews would have more to do with rock wall and bouncy trampoline and spider web as their weight limits them to non drop slides.  

Itinerary - I give the edge to Escape(all ports my wife and I have visited, mostly all new for in laws) - Stingray City and Snorkel combo and Blue Hole are two of our favourite and I’m sure my nephews would love them.   Slight concern that two of the ports are tender and might not make them due to weather.   

Thanks in advance for any additional insights in the comparison as well as how fellow NCL cruisers weigh the ship vs itinerary when booking a cruise.  

Canaveral is a pain only because you are about an hour from the airport to the cruise port.  also, if you are looking to go during February or April school vacation weeks here in the US, flights to/from FL will be very expensive and MCO will be very busy.

we love Breakaway, only sailed Escape once and it was in the Haven (which is a great Haven) but as a result we didnt see/use many areas of the ship as we tend to hole up in the Haven when we have it, save for the nighttime entertainment.  Breakaway is essentially the same as Getaway, but i like it better than Getaway.

I have cruised out of both New Orleans and Cape Canaveral. Never been on the Breakaway or Getaway, but have cruises on the Escape.

For me, I would also look at availability of flights in and out of the Port city. It is much easier for me to get into Orlando than New Orleans. Yes, the port is further from the airport for Canaveral, but the airport isn't near the port in New Orleans either. Either one is going to involve taxi/shuttle/car rental. The plus of New Orleans is leaving a day later, so you do have all day Saturday to get there. For a Saturday cruise I would be going in on Friday, so if that's not an option that would make New Orleans my choice.

For ports, both do Cozumel and I would lump Great Stirrup and Harvest Cay as similar - both "made" port stops with pools, etc. So I would be looking at would I prefer Roatan and Costa Maya versus Grand Cayman and Jamaica.

New Orleans is a fun city to visit, but I would also look at a calendar and figure out when Mardi Gras is. They have parades for weeks prior to the actual date and this could be a plus or minus for you.

Thanks for the 

1 hour ago, BostonGal35 said:

Breakaway is essentially the same as Getaway, but i like it better than Getaway.

Thanks for your insights.  We cruised out of Canaveral after flying into Orlando and it is a bit of a slog.  Unfortunately as a teacher I've got to deal with peak time crowds.

If you don't mind me asking what is it about Breakaway you prefer over the Getaway?

1 hour ago, vswan said:

For me, I would also look at availability of flights in and out of the Port city. It is much easier for me to get into Orlando than New Orleans. Yes, the port is further from the airport for Canaveral, but the airport isn't near the port in New Orleans either.

Great suggestion.  We always fly in a day/night early and if we choose Escape with the Saturday departure I'll need to make my own flight arrangements as I understand with NCL Air I won't have control over flight times and I can't take off the Friday so it's late evening flights only.  Thats one thing in favour of the Breakaway and a Sunday departure - I can let NCL take care of the air.

omg i would NOT let NCL arrange your airfare.  too many horror stories (look thru these threads).    we always pass on this free "perk" and prefer control over our flights.

breakaway usually has better service overall for some reason.  also, we have stayed in the Haven on both (as well as regular rooms on both) and the Haven is nicer on breakaway as it has the retractable roof whereas Getaway there is no roof so if its rainy you cant use the courtyard area.

We really like the Breakaway and Port of New Orleans.  Sailed on her in February 2022 and February 2023.

We also sailed the Escape in 2017 when it went out of Miami.

With your restrictions I'd do the Breakaway since it sails on a Sunday.  You could book a late Friday evening flight and spend Saturday exploring New Orleans.  In 2022 we stayed at the Marriot New Orleans Convention Center which is right across the street from the port and within walking distance to the French Quarter.  2023 we stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center.  A few blocks further away, but still an easy walk to the port and French Quarter.   I would have stayed at the Marriott again, but there was a convention going on and the prices were much higher than they were in 2022.  The other plus was the Hampton Inn offered a free buffet breakfast.  If you go this route I highly recommend Mullates for dinner one night.  It's right down the street from both hotels and the food was amazing!

Escape easily.  Sailed both.  Had best room on both ships. BA, hated it.  Escape much better designed.  Better flow, less crowds and noise.  Better and more things to do.  PC not a bad port unless more than four ships.

BA has had consistent bad service reviews from day one.

Just off the Breakaway.

I would give a huge edge to Escape.

Very similar ships - but our experience on Escape was better.

Particularly the layout of The Haven.

Embarkation at the Port of New Orleans was our worst port experience - but now that we know how to do it - we could make it work so much better. 

We should have walked our luggage the two blocks to the Porters rather than drive it. 

New Orleans is fun.

For me coming back on a Sunday, travelling home and having to work on Monday is not ideal. I like the buffer day...getting home on Saturday before working on Monday.

7 hours ago, colecandler said:

Embarkation at the Port of New Orleans was our worst port experience - but now that we know how to do it - we could make it work so much better. 

We should have walked our luggage the two blocks to the Porters rather than drive it. 

Thanks for sharing your insights.  We are still undecided and are waiting on another family to return from their current cruise - on the Escape to get their thoughts as well.

Any other tips for Port of New Orleans if we opt to go that way.  Walking luggage to the porters is already noted in my notebook, 🙂

On 3/14/2023 at 8:43 AM, thedoc29ca said:

Trying to decide between two cruises and looking for insights / opinions to see if I missing anything in the comparison.  I tend to over analyze and plan so thanks for enabling me.  Lol.  Travelling with my wife.   Her sister, husband and 3 sons (ages 14,10,8) would like to join us.  

We like to sail out of NOLA. We stay at the Hilton on the river or Harrah's across the street. It is right on the trolley line and an easy walk into the French Quarter (without being in the middle of it). And the first 30 minutes of sailing down the Mississippi is a unique experience. 

We prefer the Escape, but agree that the kids may like the Breakaway better. One of our cruises this year is on the Escape and we sailed on the Breakaway last year (we were suppose to be on the Escape last year, but it had an "issue" (punched a hole in the hull when it ran aground) and our cruise got cancelled).