First Time HAL Cruiser: Coming Soon, Live Review of Alaska Cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam May 28- June 4 2023

Denise T

Had late lunch/early dinner at The Hangar yesterday- lovely view of the ships, watched sea planes come & go.

Entered Glacier Bay about an hour ago. Water very smooth. Have seen lots of birds and a couple otters. They swim faster than I can take pictures, lol.

20230501_160059.jpg

20230501_160259.jpg

20230501_155928.jpg

20230501_160824.jpg

20230502_072959.jpg

20230502_065833.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Uploads
  • Like 3

Saw several whales right in front of the Cookhouse Restaurant, which had great food. They said there's a small pod with babies that's been hanging out there. Didn't get pictures, but it was a very pretty sight, even in the rain.

20230502_182846.jpg

20230502_185212.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to Sitka! 

Sun is mostly shining, currently 41 w/forecasted high of 46. Ship just got clearance for passengers to go ashore. All Board is 3:30.

The welcome center is completely new since we were here last; it looks very nice.

There is a free shuttle running to/from Downtown throughout the day (approx 15 min ride), so if you didn't book an excursion, you will have no issue getting into town. 

We didn't book an excursion and will be exploring on our own. On previous visits, we have gone to Fortress of the Bears, the rapture center and a local brewery and really enjoyed them all. Fortress of the Bears was under expansion during our last visit, so it should be really nice.

More to come after we get into town.

First picture was earlier this morning as we were just coming into Sitka Sound. It is so peaceful here - sunrise was lovely. 

20230503_065910.jpg

20230503_075759.jpg

20230503_075806.jpg

20230503_075822.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Welcome to Sitka! 

Sun is mostly shining, currently 41 w/forecasted high of 46. Ship just got clearance for passengers to go ashore. All Board is 3:30.

The welcome center is completely new since we were here last; it looks very nice.

There is a free shuttle running to/from Downtown throughout the day (approx 15 min ride), so if you didn't book an excursion, you will have no issue getting into town. 

We didn't book an excursion and will be exploring on our own. On previous visits, we have gone to Fortress of the Bears, the rapture center and a local brewery and really enjoyed them all. Fortress of the Bears was under expansion during our last visit, so it should be really nice.

More to come after we get into town.

First picture was earlier this morning as we were just coming into Sitka Sound. It is so peaceful here - sunrise was lovely. 

20230503_065910.jpg

20230503_075759.jpg

20230503_075806.jpg

20230503_075822.jpg

Sitka is not on my itinerary. I have seen other photos and it looks like a place I would love to visit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denise T said:

Sitka is not on my itinerary. I have seen other photos and it looks like a place I would love to visit. 

Sorry, @Denise T I should have checked your itinerary before posting the Sitka pics - it's worth a stop on your next trip!

We've entered the Tongass Narrows as we head closer to Ketchikan. 

BTW - balcony pictures are taken port side.

Additional posts & pictures are on my Live Eurodam AK April 29 - May 6 thread. I am really excited to follow @Denise T and her pictures in a few weeks - no such thing as "too much Alaska" for us Lower 48ers.

20230504_043341.jpg

20230504_043341.jpg

20230504_040943.jpg

20230504_040937.jpg

20230504_041019.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 3

We've been cleared to go ashore. Looks to be a beautiful dry 🌞 day in Ketchikan; perfect for walking the streets over to Annabelle's for lunch. This is a very short stop as All Aboard is 1230.

20230504_070247.jpg

20230504_070241.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

We've been cleared to go ashore. Looks to be a beautiful dry 🌞 day in Ketchikan; perfect for walking the streets over to Annabelle's for lunch. This is a very short stop as All Aboard is 1230.

20230504_070247.jpg

20230504_070241.jpg

Yeah, for dry weather! Looks beautiful. 

• Like 1

Hey @Denise T if you're still packing, you might want to be sure to toss in ear muffs. Even in the sun when a jacket may due (vs a coat) the slightest breeze can still chill the ears. I forgot mine today and wished a few times I had them. I practically live in 'em on the balcony.

• Like 4

@Denise T thanks again for your post of your upcoming trip on NA - truly the inspiration for us booking this week. We're in TSA line to head back toward home and already dreading the 90 weather waiting for us. 

I look forward to reading your Live posts and seeing your pictures  - I know you and your siblings are going to have a great time! 🥳

Do everything you can that your heart desires and welcome to AK and HAL. ❤

• Like 5

On 5/4/2023 at 5:56 PM, Haljo1935 said:

Hey @Denise T if you're still packing, you might want to be sure to toss in ear muffs. Even in the sun when a jacket may due (vs a coat) the slightest breeze can still chill the ears. I forgot mine today and wished a few times I had them. I practically live in 'em on the balcony.

From what I have been seeing, weather has been chilly and rainy. I will be prepared!

• Like 1

The 21-day countdown has begun. Seeing all of the pictures from @Haljo1935 has increased my excitement. packing is beginning in earnest. Deciding on the outfits I want to wear. Keeping it simple and comfortable. 

Part of me thinks that these will be very long and slow 21 days.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Denise T said:

The 21-day countdown has begun. Seeing all of the pictures from @Haljo1935 has increased my excitement. packing is beginning in earnest. Deciding on the outfits I want to wear. Keeping it simple and comfortable. 

Part of me thinks that these will be very long and slow 21 days.

Laundry service is your friend for controlling luggage and minimizing packing weight.  Even if you do laundry by the bag vs unlimited, it's a huge benefit. You'd be surprised how much you can fit into a single bag when you roll/fold/squeeze instead of just stuffing it in; even with unlimited we filled the bags full almost daily. Highly recommend since there will be 4 of you. And doing 1 last bag at the end allows you to take home clean clothes so unpacking (yes, sadly, you do have to reverse the suitcase dance at the end of the trip when you're back home) is a breeze.

• Like 5

18 days and counting. The suitcases are coming out this weekend. Everything seems in place. The Navigator App has been getting updated with activities like the show and trivia. I have read on these boards how boring the entertainment is. Well, our plan is to get us much trivia in as we can, watch the shows, and listen to the music. Your cruise is what you make of it. I am traveling with family and when we get together, watch out! We can be just as entertaining. 

Happy birthday to my sister Karen who is sailing with us. My birthday is in a month so wee picked this cruise to celebrate. 

The waiting is excruciating!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

@Denise T I predict that you and your Peeps are going to have a blast on this trip!!!  I love the Nieuw Amsterdam and had a great crew every time (6 times) I've sailed on her!!!

The countdown to board goes soooo slowly and the cruise goes by soooo fast!!!  😉

~Nancy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

@Denise T I predict that you and your Peeps are going to have a blast on this trip!!!  I love the Nieuw Amsterdam and had a great crew every time (6 times) I've sailed on her!!!

The countdown to board goes soooo slowly and the cruise goes by soooo fast!!!  😉

~Nancy

So very true! I am trying to figure out how to slow the cruise waaaaay down. 😁

• Like 2