First Time HAL Cruiser: Coming Soon, Live Review of Alaska Cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam May 28- June 4 2023

Denise T

16 days and counting. This weekend I will be starting the packing in earnest. I have been listing my outfits and what I will be wearing. The Navigator App has some of the "Where and When" activities listed. Lots of trivia, yeah! Lots to do. I have read many posts that the entertainment is somewhat lackluster. if this is the case, i am sure my family and I can provide the entertainment after a few drinks. 

I see so many posts recently of unhappy cruisers who feel that HAL is deliberately trying to ruin their vacations. What would Hal get from ruining people's vacations? All industries have customer service issues because there are many customers who feel entitled and make unreasonable demands instead of working to solve problems. The travel industry has changed tremendously since the pandemic. Hotels have limited room cleaning and many no longer offer room service. Lots of service issues all over. 

I chose to be concerned only by what i have control over and that is my attitude. My first cruise on another line was not perfect but we let the imperfections slide and had a wonderful time. I think the worst part of that trip was trying to fly out of Boston early on a Saturday morning. What a disaster! We survived. So, am I expecting perfection, no. The ship may be short staffed. We will make do. To avoid long lines for the MDR, we won't go as soon as the dining room opens. 

I just know that this will be a great cruise because i will be with my family. That is all that matters. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

So excited! the final boarding passes have the bar codes. Yeah!

Two weeks from today I will be spending the day flying to Anchorage. Flying out of Pennsylvania at 6:30 am and will arrive in Anchorage at 8:30 pm. 

Packing this weekend. 

Let the fun begin!

• Like 7

7 hours ago, SightCRR said:

Make sure you check the city bus to Mendenhall as the last I heard the closest stop is 1.5 miles from the visitor center. With so many other things to see you don't want to waste any time. One more website to see Juneau and ISP. TheSnowCloud Juneau area Webcams

I was thinking about the bus to Mendenhall. We have nothing permanently planned and it all depends on the weather. I do want to do the Tramway. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Denise T said:

So excited! the final boarding passes have the bar codes. Yeah!

Two weeks from today I will be spending the day flying to Anchorage. Flying out of Pennsylvania at 6:30 am and will arrive in Anchorage at 8:30 pm. 

Packing this weekend. 

Let the fun begin!

Hi Denise. I was told my cruise train information would be on my boarding pass, but it gives no information other than Cruisetrain: Anchorage to Whittier. So far I have connected with no one from HAL that can provide me with details as to what I should do. An Alaskan Railroad rep told me that what is referred to as the Cruisetrain leaves from the Bill Sheffield Alaska Railroad Depot at the airport at 12:45. 

Have you received any information from HAL as to what you are supposed to do?

6 hours ago, mtncruzr2 said:

Hi Denise. I was told my cruise train information would be on my boarding pass, but it gives no information other than Cruisetrain: Anchorage to Whittier. So far I have connected with no one from HAL that can provide me with details as to what I should do. An Alaskan Railroad rep told me that what is referred to as the Cruisetrain leaves from the Bill Sheffield Alaska Railroad Depot at the airport at 12:45. 

Have you received any information from HAL as to what you are supposed to do?

I will be checking with my TA. I got the same information on my boarding pass. 

12 days to go. 

I checked with my TA. The cruise train transfer leaves around 12:45. My boarding time is 3:20 so this makes sense, I will need to get to the Egan convention center, drop luggage off and then get taken to the train which will take me to the ship. 

I will be bringing lots of hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes as I am reading on CC that Norovirus is increasing. Wash your hands everyone!

• Like 1

We will be on the cruise with you!  We are doing the land tour of Denali beforehand and fly to Fairbanks on the 22nd, joining you on the train to Whittier!  We (husband and I) are super excited for our first trip to Alaska and our first time aboard HAL!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Zoey7 said:

We will be on the cruise with you!  We are doing the land tour of Denali beforehand and fly to Fairbanks on the 22nd, joining you on the train to Whittier!  We (husband and I) are super excited for our first trip to Alaska and our first time aboard HAL!

Welcome to CC and have g GREAT cruise!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Zoey7 said:

It is going to be a great cruise. It may be a little rainy, but I am prepared.

• Like 1

8 days out!

I am repacking because I overpacked. Hope to get that done today. 

This time next week I will be sitting at the Dallas/Fort Worth airport for a 5-hour layover.

I cannot believe that the cruise is just about here. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Denise T said:

8 days out!

This time next week I will be sitting at the Dallas/Fort Worth airport for a 5-hour layover.

I just started packing for a 10 day cruise this Thursday. The first go-round I have:

3 pairs of jeans,

3 pairs of shorts,

1 long black dress,

2 pairs of black pants,

2 pair of white,

9 various tops for daytime

473 tops for the evening 

Seems reasonable!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, LisaLeone said:

I just started packing for a 10 day cruise this Thursday. The first go-round I have:

3 pairs of jeans,

3 pairs of shorts,

1 long black dress,

2 pairs of black pants,

2 pair of white,

9 various tops for daytime

473 tops for the evening 

Seems reasonable!

I think I have the same number of tops for the evening!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Denise T said:

8 days out!

@Denise T I'm about 20 min from DFW Airport and may sneak into one of your bags 🙃

Y'all are going to have a great trip!

• Like 4

3 days away. I am done with work so my vacation has technically begun!

Friday I will be running last minute errands. The cats will be going to the vet for boarding. My sister and I will be staying at a hotel near the airport as we have to be at the airport at 4:30 on Saturday. 

This is it!

I am ready to go!

• Like 5

@Denise T so excited for you and your siblings - it's going to be an awesome experience for all of you. I've been following since you started this thread and have enjoyed seeing your excitement build as your embarkation date approaches - am really looking forward to reading about your adventures and seeing your pictures!!

Safe travels!

• Like 2