Seattle Transportation Questions

ski_mom

There will be a group of 10 of us cruising from Seattle this summer and I'm kind of in charge of piecing everything together.  

We are flying in on Friday for our Sunday cruise.  I'm trying to put together the best way to get to our hotel (Hyatt House downtown).

We are coming in 3 different groups:

Group1 - myself, my husband and 20 year old son - I figure we're fine talking the light rail and then catching the monorail to the hotel.  seems like it should be pretty easy and inexpensive.

Group 2 - my sister and her family (husband and 2 daughters 18 & 14) and my mom (79).  I'm wondering if it will be too much for them to do the light rail / monorail option.  My mom walks fine, but she is slow and tires out pretty easily.  They land at the airport around 6:00 pm.  I don't know if it's a possibility they might have to stand for the ride?  If so, my mom wouldn't handle that well.  I don't know if uber would be better for them due to my mom's issues??

Group 3 - my 2 daughters (24 & 25).  They don't land until around 10:45 pm - I'm also wondering about their safety, etc taking the public transportation so late at night.  I don't know exactly how it works walking to the monorail with luggage so late, etc.  I'm thinking they might be best taking an uber??

I'm fine with winging it when it's just my family, but I worry when it involves others lol!

42 minutes ago, ski_mom said:

Group1 - myself, my husband and 20 year old son - I figure we're fine talking the light rail and then catching the monorail to the hotel.  seems like it should be pretty easy and inexpensive.

It will be inexpensive but it will also take you a little more than twice as long as taking an Uber from the airport. UberX will be about $60 door to door. 

44 minutes ago, ski_mom said:

Group 2 - my sister and her family (husband and 2 daughters 18 & 14) and my mom (79).  I'm wondering if it will be too much for them to do the light rail / monorail option.  My mom walks fine, but she is slow and tires out pretty easily.  They land at the airport around 6:00 pm.  I don't know if it's a possibility they might have to stand for the ride?  If so, my mom wouldn't handle that well.  I don't know if uber would be better for them due to my mom's issues??

Yes-- I would definitely Uber here given what you said. Also keep in mind once you get downtown you'll have to get across to the adjacent Westlake Center to the monorail and then upstairs with luggage. 

46 minutes ago, ski_mom said:

Group 3 - my 2 daughters (24 & 25).  They don't land until around 10:45 pm - I'm also wondering about their safety, etc taking the public transportation so late at night.  I don't know exactly how it works walking to the monorail with luggage so late, etc.  I'm thinking they might be best taking an uber??

You're answering your own question. Frankly I would use Uber for all three of these unless you really want to spend the time riding the light rail. You can always take a monorail ride once you settle in if that was something you still wanted to do. I wouldn't be using public transport at 11pm. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ski_mom said:

There will be a group of 10 of us cruising from Seattle this summer and I'm kind of in charge of piecing everything together.  

We are flying in on Friday for our Sunday cruise.  I'm trying to put together the best way to get to our hotel (Hyatt House downtown).

For Group 1 with your mom, I'd recommend taking an Uber, Taxi, or Transporation service. It's approximately a 0.25 mile walk from the terminal to the light rail station, and then once you get to Westlake station downtown, it's another 17 minute walk (assuming a 20 min/mile) -- with all of the luggage I'm not sure if it's worth the issue.

Group 2 with your daughters, I wouldn't go on the light rail at 11:30pm at night (factoring time to get off the plane, get the bags, walk to the light rail, etc). I stand by Seattle being a fairly safe city with a low violent crime rate, but as a 37 year old woman myself, I wouldn't go not knowing the city, plus having the 17 minute walk once you get off the station. Westlake station is fine during the day, but to be avoided that late at night. The downtown corridor doesn't have much nightlife that late (mostly offices and hotels).

Premier Airport Shuttle is also a great option to pre-book, I use them to/from the airport as well, but Uber/Lyft is reliable and plentiful here as well.

2 hours ago, ski_mom said:

I'm fine with winging it when it's just my family, but I worry when it involves others lol!

• Like 1

Thank you all so much - After reading everything you posted, I think we'll just do ubers or look into the Premier Airport Shuttle for all 3 groups.  I don't mind a little lugging of luggage, but I don't want to be carrying it up stairs, etc to start my trip!

Thanks again for the help!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Regarding the .25m walk at the airport, for those of you who are mobility impaired, or just plain tired, the POS (no, not that POS) operates an electric buggy from the skybridge to the terminal to the light rail station. If you find yourself on the Link around morning or afternoon rush, you will get a seat out of the airport, but by the time you get downtown you will have a very packed rail car. 

The first group I’d honestly say link to monorail and walk to the hotel.  You don’t even need to leave Westlake station to catch the elevator to the monorail, use the savings on a better dinner or dinks that night. The Hyatt House is in a safe area, but there’s not a lot of dining options, if you’re up for it, cross through the Seattle Center to Lower Queen Anne (also known as Uptown, but nobody in Seattle calls it that) where there’s a plethora of restaurants.  I hope this helps. 

On 3/14/2023 at 12:56 PM, ski_mom said:

The monorail isn't really a public transit system.  It is more of a tourist attraction.  It has exactly two stops, the Seattle Center and Westlake Center, a shopping mall.  If I'm feeling nostalgic about Seattle and have friends along that have never really explored the city we'll get monorail tickets at the Seattle Center, ride it to the mall, kill and hour or two and then ride it back.  It is a neat ride and well worth doing, but it isn't public transit; it's a hold over from the World's Fair of 1962.  The World's Fair was also the reason that the Space Needle was constructed.

I have a very negative view of Seattle's public transit.  It is an uncoordinated mishmash of different systems, all half under construction, and none of which really connect to each other or make sense.  Others may disagree with me, but the light rail, along with the streetcar are relatively recent developments in public transit in Seattle and service a particular market of public transit consumer.  Seattle is basically a bus town.  As for them being good for non-residents to just hop on and use, not really.  Plus the homeless and public addict problem in Seattle is a major problem and those folks are frequently found on public transit and often times are using.  Want a chance at a fentanyl contact high, choose public transit.

You will save time and energy limiting your ground transportation needs to Uber and Lyft.  I've only had good experience with rideshare drivers in the Seattle area.

On 3/14/2023 at 12:56 PM, ski_mom said:

Group 2 - my sister and her family (husband and 2 daughters 18 & 14) and my mom (79).

That is 5.  That group will definitely want to consider Uber SUV so there is room for everyone to ride and all the luggage.  Or you will need two Ubers, so your sister and brother-in-law will both have to have Uber or Lyft accounts and each hail a vehicle.

On 4/16/2023 at 7:16 PM, Prost Seattle said:

Lower Queen Anne (also known as Uptown, but nobody in Seattle calls it that) where there’s a plethora of restaurants.

I didn't know anybody called Lower Queen Anne Uptown.  It has always been Lower Queen Anne to me.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 6:00 PM, psuboater said:

Premier Airport Shuttle is also a great option to pre-book, I use them to/from the airport as well, but Uber/Lyft is reliable and plentiful here as well.

Thanks!  I just looked into booking Premier Airport Shuttle and it's coming up that their ride would be $267!!  I knew it would be more than uber/lyft, but wasn't expecting that high - I think we'll just all do rideshare.

Thanks so much for laying out the options!

4 hours ago, jeromep said:

The monorail isn't really a public transit system.  It is more of a tourist attraction.  It has exactly two stops, the Seattle Center and Westlake Center, a shopping mall.  If I'm feeling nostalgic about Seattle and have friends along that have never really explored the city we'll get monorail tickets at the Seattle Center, ride it to the mall, kill and hour or two and then ride it back.  It is a neat ride and well worth doing, but it isn't public transit; it's a hold over from the World's Fair of 1962.  The World's Fair was also the reason that the Space Needle was constructed.

I have a very negative view of Seattle's public transit.  It is an uncoordinated mishmash of different systems, all half under construction, and none of which really connect to each other or make sense.  Others may disagree with me, but the light rail, along with the streetcar are relatively recent developments in public transit in Seattle and service a particular market of public transit consumer.  Seattle is basically a bus town.  As for them being good for non-residents to just hop on and use, not really.  Plus the homeless and public addict problem in Seattle is a major problem and those folks are frequently found on public transit and often times are using.  Want a chance at a fentanyl contact high, choose public transit.

You will save time and energy limiting your ground transportation needs to Uber and Lyft.  I've only had good experience with rideshare drivers in the Seattle area.

That is 5.  That group will definitely want to consider Uber SUV so there is room for everyone to ride and all the luggage.  Or you will need two Ubers, so your sister and brother-in-law will both have to have Uber or Lyft accounts and each hail a vehicle.

I didn't know anybody called Lower Queen Anne Uptown.  It has always been Lower Queen Anne to me.

Thanks for all of the information!  

11 hours ago, ski_mom said:

Thanks!  I just looked into booking Premier Airport Shuttle and it's coming up that their ride would be $267!!  I knew it would be more than uber/lyft, but wasn't expecting that high - I think we'll just all do rideshare.

Thanks so much for laying out the options!

I always request "shared ride" which is significantly lower. Most of the time I get a private shuttle, but if you do have to share, especially if you're going downtown, it's going to be maybe one stop before you. 🙂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, psuboater said:

I always request "shared ride" which is significantly lower. Most of the time I get a private shuttle, but if you do have to share, especially if you're going downtown, it's going to be maybe one stop before you. 🙂

That was not coming up as an option for me, so I played around with it a bit.  When I put in 5 passengers, the shared ride is not an option, but if I change it to 4 passengers, it is much cheaper ($58).  I guess I could do 4 at $58 and 1 at $44.70 - the group of 4 being my sister's family and the 1 passenger being my mom.  They could then each pay for their own booking and would be much cheaper than the private shuttle. 

I'm mulling around whether that's not completely legit though since they are basically one group of 5.  I'm leaning toward it being ok because I am aware that they could definitely add additional passengers to to trip.  Decisions, decisions...

On 4/19/2023 at 11:17 AM, ski_mom said:

That was not coming up as an option for me, so I played around with it a bit.  When I put in 5 passengers, the shared ride is not an option, but if I change it to 4 passengers, it is much cheaper ($58).  I guess I could do 4 at $58 and 1 at $44.70 - the group of 4 being my sister's family and the 1 passenger being my mom.  They could then each pay for their own booking and would be much cheaper than the private shuttle. 

I'm mulling around whether that's not completely legit though since they are basically one group of 5.  I'm leaning toward it being ok because I am aware that they could definitely add additional passengers to to trip.  Decisions, decisions...

Is it $58pp ? You can get an Uber for close to that price. 

42 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Is it $58pp ? You can get an Uber for close to that price. 

When you try to book a group of 5, it will only offer private transfer which was $267!  When I break it down by my sister's family for a group of 4 and my mom paying for her own, so just 1 person, it's $58 for the group of 4 and $44.70 for my mom, so it would be $102.70 for all of them. 

I'm going to let my sister decide if she wants to do that or just uber/taxi.

4 hours ago, ski_mom said:

When you try to book a group of 5, it will only offer private transfer which was $267!  When I break it down by my sister's family for a group of 4 and my mom paying for her own, so just 1 person, it's $58 for the group of 4 and $44.70 for my mom, so it would be $102.70 for all of them. 

I'm going to let my sister decide if she wants to do that or just uber/taxi.

Thanks. I may look into this option for us, we have 2 so its comparable to an Uber cost. I hope you have a great cruise!

• Like 1