Golf cart rentals

jean87510

I see this posted about every 3rd post on the Bonaire forum but not really on Costa Maya.  My question is if anyone has done this recently, how did you spend your day?  Did you just drive up and down streets and go to a bar or were there points of interest?  I'm looking at reviews online on other sites and most of them just drove to a bar to drink.  Which sounds odd because if that's all you are going to do then take a cheaper alternative which is a cab.  Can anyone share that actually rented?

You can rent golf carts at the pier parking lot.   Waste of money, IMO.  You have to drive 5 km to the malecon where the beach clubs/bars are and can't drive on the malecon.   Some people rent them to drive to the lighthouse then down the street closest to the malecon  and maybe just past there.  But the street does get rough past the malecon and the two one way streets (outbound and inbound) are narrow with taxis and local traffic.  Plus you have to drive on the shoulder of Hwy 307 from the street off the pier to Mahahual.  Not far but not smooth.

• Like 1

Many years ago people used to rent and drive on the road out of town to some of the outlying beach bars and hotels but it has been a long time since any one has reported on that. I understand there are a couple of rental places at the port but one specifically states how far out of town you can go and how far they will give assistance. 

I agree with @crewsweeper unless you are simply wanting to ride in a golf cart and pass some time. There is nothing significant to visit although i have always wanted to take a look around Nuevo Mahahual just out of curiosity and to try and find the old coastal path you used to be able to walk on from the port.

Edited by c-leg5

54 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

You can rent golf carts at the pier parking lot.   Waste of money, IMO.  You have to drive 5 km to the malecon where the beach clubs/bars are and can't drive on the malecon.   Some people rent them to drive to the lighthouse then down the street closest to the malecon  and maybe just past there.  But the street does get rough past the malecon and the two one way streets (outbound and inbound) are narrow with taxis and local traffic.  Plus you have to drive on the shoulder of Hwy 307 from the street off the pier to Mahahual.  Not far but not smooth.

I agree.  My husband was looking at them and I said it's not worth it unless there's some hidden secret path to a cool beach or 2.  I was curious if I was missing something.  I'd rather rent a car as I hate golf carts (too slow).  

15 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I agree.  My husband was looking at them and I said it's not worth it unless there's some hidden secret path to a cool beach or 2.  I was curious if I was missing something.  I'd rather rent a car as I hate golf carts (too slow).  

In a car, there are great beaches on the road to Xcalek but no facilities.  Just pure beach.  Couple of hotels along the stretch.  If you want to explore (and you two seem up for that based on your posts) it's an interesting drive and there are places in Xcalek or Chetumal to grab a drink and bite of food. Unfortunately, you won't have time to take the ferry to Ambergris Caye.

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

In a car, there are great beaches on the road to Xcalek but no facilities.  Just pure beach.  Couple of hotels along the stretch.  If you want to explore (and you two seem up for that based on your posts) it's an interesting drive and there are places in Xcalek or Chetumal to grab a drink and bite of food. Unfortunately, you won't have time to take the ferry to Ambergris Caye.

Agreed.  We are looking at car rentals for next year and December.  I really wish we had 12 hour stops like the ABCs where you can really make the most of your day with a car rental.  Also looking into flying into Ambergris from Belize as well.  It's an excursion from Shoreexcursiongroup.