Things I wished I had packed for Norway

SempreMare

The ship has a supply for guests use. Save the weight? We didn't need to use them on our recent trip. Deep crunchy snow. Good boots required though. I saw some people struggling in very lightweight Skechers or slip on leather loafers who must have bitterly regretted not bringing boots. 

10 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Just checking, will I be walking in snow during Viking Homelands in the month of May?

Viking Homelands Norway ports include

Oslo, Bergin, Stavanger, Eidfjord

Probably not in those areas, unless you get high in the mountains and then it is usually “old” snow, packed down and no problem. 

• Thanks 1

So how about thoughts for the Iceland and Norwegian Arctic Cruise in July/August. When we were in Iceland in July 2021 we did just fine with layering using a T shirt, long sleeve shirt, fleece half-zip, and a windbreaker along with gloves and a hat.   Actually only used all of them the day we went whale watching. Wondering if we are gonna need more for Svalbard and Northern Norway.  

I have a “packable” puffer jacket with hood but wonder if I really need to take it. Given the average high/low temperatures found online, it’s all going to come down to how windy it is I suspect.  🤔

Ísafjördur              54/46

Longyearbyen      48/41

Honningsvag.       56/47

Bergen                  64/57

Oslo.                     71/55

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

E0F6E8DF-CF50-411D-B2E0-CEC8B7073621.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

So how about thoughts for the Iceland and Norwegian Arctic Cruise in July/August. When we were in Iceland in July 2021 we did just fine with layering using a T shirt, long sleeve shirt, fleece half-zip, and a windbreaker along with gloves and a hat.   Actually only used all of them the day we went whale watching. Wondering if we are gonna need more for Svalbard and Northern Norway.  

I have a “packable” puffer jacket with hood but wonder if I really need to take it. Given the average high/low temperatures found online, it’s all going to come down to how windy it is I suspect.  🤔

Ísafjördur              54/46

Longyearbyen      48/41

Honningsvag.       56/47

Bergen                  64/57

Oslo.                     71/55

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

E0F6E8DF-CF50-411D-B2E0-CEC8B7073621.jpeg

Clay, the problem is the weather is never the same. I have been at the North Cape in a short sleeve T shirt; the time before I wore extra layers and a waterproof, hooded raincoat and was still cold. My advice, expect anything and check the weather forecast frequently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

The ship has a supply for guests use. Save the weight? We didn't need to use them on our recent trip. Deep crunchy snow. Good boots required though. I saw some people struggling in very lightweight Skechers or slip on leather loafers who must have bitterly regretted not bringing boots. 

Where was the ships supply? I wish I had seen them! I only saw the ones near the excursions. We fell just walking back from shopping in Tromso. 
After I fell down I saw that when not in port the ship had them for sail for $30.

32 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

@Iloveketo Would  you happen to have a picture of the boots the ship had on sale for $30?

Which brand?

They were not boots, they were the spikes that fit over the boots. Sorry I didn’t take a photo of them when I was on the Venus. They looked sort of like these. 

7D9AB7C4-396A-448C-A785-3279A8453208.jpeg

Edited by Iloveketo
  • Like 1