Things I wished I had packed for Norway

SempreMare

2 things I wished I had packed for my first Viking cruise that included Norway (British Isles Explorer, September 2022): 

1) A really good rain hat

- that actually keeps water out

- that keeps eye ware dry - my hoodie hat did not do this

Interested in your opinions.  After returning I picked up a rain hat from REI that hopefully should work; might have been LL Bean. 

Of course now in mostly dry Texas I think, "will I really need this given I'm taking a small umbrella and will have a hoodie"   

When packing I shall remind myself:  YES.  

2) Something to better secure my glasses / sunglasses in wind.  I had a close call...

Any opinions on what makes a good sunglasses holder these days?   So many different styles.

Growing up, Croakies were IT.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 days until we leave for our Trade Routes sailing I’m spending most waking hours thinking cruise stuff so I’m particularly interested to read your thoughts.  

Growing up in the north of Scotland anything more than 10 degrees centigrade is a toes out kinda day but even I am packing a rain coat and lace up shoes (Allbirds have been life changing for my temperamental feet) for Bergen in April. But my feet will mainly be in Teva & Birkenstock sandals. 

My rain hat of choice is from the Canadian company Tilley, their waxed bucket hat and other hemp hats have worked well for me. 

I have new white Oakley sunglasses that I was be hanging on to for dear life, so interesting in others thoughts. 

20 minutes ago, amelia3171 said:

My rain hat of choice is from the Canadian company Tilley, their waxed bucket hat and other hemp hats have worked well for me. 

One of my favorite Canadian brands!  Discovered Tilleys at Epcot in Orlando FL on a fall day that almost gave me heat stroke.  I have their summer hat with the secret pocket in the very top for hiding cash.

I live in a four-season area, so I have a vast array of coats, boots, hats, scarves, gloves, sweaters, etc.

Most of our travel is done in extreme heat or extreme cold.  

Husband is an avid skier, and I have been dragged to many places where the temperature was in negative Fahrenheit for days. 

I am the exact opposite--I love visiting archaeological sites in the extreme heat of summer, even if the temperatures soar over 100. I can tolerate well both great dryness (Egypt) and high humidity (Yucatan).

There are so many big name stores that sell (professional) outdoor gear-- REI, Eddie Bauer, North Face, Patagonia, Columbia, etc., not to mention the small specialty shops.  Husband likes Oakley goggles, and uses them for both skiing and cycling to protect his eyes. Remember for rain it is important to have waterproof, not water resistant!  

On our Majestic Iceland trip I took my waterproof rain jacket with a hood with a stiffish brim.  The brim kept the rain off my glasses.  I wish I had taken a ball cap as the stiff bill of the cap would have kept the hood from sliding down in front of me due to the wind.  Because it was a hood instead of hat, it kept the rain off of my neck in the wind.  I used to have a Tilley hat when I used to sail, but to me a hood is more convenient on tours - easily slipped off inside, no extra things to hold, and more all over protection.  

We had a lot more wind in Iceland than in Norway;  a rain hat might have worked in Norway.

• Like 1

We're on the Northern Lights cruise ending tomorrow. We wish we hadn't packed so much cold weather stuff! We needed our thermal longjohns, hat and gloves only once (for the fantastic husky sledge ride). Meanwhile we were far too hot on board the ship but also on the buses. We took ten sets of hand warmers with us and they're all coming back with us! We're Scottish so the outside temp was fine for us. I noticed many Americans complaining about being cold.

• Like 1

Years ago I bought a non-adjustable version of eyeglasses retainer like this for Greek island hopping by ferry. Worked fine but were only on my sunglasses. If for normal glasses I’d want something that is more easily removed. 

https://www.rei.com/product/892953/chums-adjustable-orbiter-eyeglass-retainer

Edited by wine-wine-wine
Where travelled
  • Like 1

I've used my Seattle Sombrero, by Outdoor Research, for years and it's great even in a steady downpour. I don't like the restriction in hearing and peripheral vision experienced with rain hoods, and this hat is the perfect answer.

Kevin

On 3/19/2023 at 2:00 AM, Nippy Sweetie said:

We're on the Northern Lights cruise ending tomorrow. We wish we hadn't packed so much cold weather stuff! We needed our thermal longjohns, hat and gloves only once (for the fantastic husky sledge ride). Meanwhile we were far too hot on board the ship but also on the buses. We took ten sets of hand warmers with us and they're all coming back with us! We're Scottish so the outside temp was fine for us. I noticed many Americans complaining about being cold.

We are going next year.  How was the weather?  Did you see aurora?

DON

• Like 1

YES we saw the aurora and it was as wonderful as we'd hoped. We saw it from the boat. The Captain made an announcement every time the lights appeared. We felt very sorry for those who forked out large sums for various trips on shore to see the lights. One tour went all the way almost to Sweden with no luck. 

Our favourite excursion was to the huskies. Lovely friendly dogs who loved cuddles but really loved just running. They were raring to go and OH and I had a memorable sled ride with seven of them going hell for leather through the snowy countryside. This was followed by tea round a roaring fire with stories from a guide and with dogs to keep us company. Then there was a VG film about the owner's son's first race and all that's involved in running these lovely animals. 

IMG_20230315_161107221_HDR.jpg

Edited by Nippy Sweetie
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Ball cap on an adult ever?!

Yes... 18 holes of golf in SW Florida, my backyard. Nearly impossible to get through a round without one. And of course there is 1st, 2nd, 3rd and home plate, shortstop, left, center and right field. Yes, on adults, wouldn't you know... Scotland hugh...😉

Edited by Vagabond51

Doing British Isles cruise end of April, early May....London to Bergen, Norway. Stops in Edinburgh, Liverpool, Dublin, Belfast, Dover etc.  Am I correct, after looking up some weather info, that we can expect high farenheit temps from 46 to 60 across these cities? Trying to figure out if I shold bring a lightweight winter coat....or just layers with a large zip-up fleece that fits over layers. Of course, a rain coat/hat and may bring rain pants as well. Anyone been in these venues in early May? 

1 hour ago, happyyaya said:

Doing British Isles cruise end of April, early May....London to Bergen, Norway. Stops in Edinburgh, Liverpool, Dublin, Belfast, Dover etc.  Am I correct, after looking up some weather info, that we can expect high farenheit temps from 46 to 60 across these cities? Trying to figure out if I shold bring a lightweight winter coat....or just layers with a large zip-up fleece that fits over layers. Of course, a rain coat/hat and may bring rain pants as well. Anyone been in these venues in early May? 

Check out the weatherspark.com site.  It is a wonderful climate site.  

DON

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, happyyaya said:

I’d do the latter two options (layers & rain gear). The rain coat will be good for wind as well.