What to do IN TOWN in Skagway? How much time is needed?

eyern1

We are debating on whether to do a 71/2 hour train and bus trip, leaving us about an hour to hour and a half to see town, vs a 5 hour train and bus trip. Is there much worth seeing or to do in town and if so, how much time should we allot for it?  We're not looking for anything active but just wondering about going in famous spots or museums possibly, walking or riding around in town and such.  Heck, I just hope we get to stop in Skagway now that I've read some other posts but it looks like we will. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Look at what other ships are in port and count the number of passengers.  Add 10% for crew on shore leave.  Skagway is 27 blocks long and 6 blocks wide.  I was there on the 4th of July a few years ago with ~16,000 other people.  Yes, there's a lot to do.  Several museums, great places to eat and good beer, Ranger talks, a free film on the gold rush, and some nice hikes, but I just went back to the ship and read a book.

20 hours ago, eyern1 said:

Just looking specifically for things to do in town while walking around, thanks

Goggle Klondike Gold Rush National Park.  This national park is structured in several units with one located in Skagway.  Through the years the National Park Service has acquired more and more buildings which now house museums and educational displays.  There are also some ranger led walks.

Skagway also has a city museum which is not operated by the NPS.

While the community has become more touristy than the first time I saw it in the early to mid 1980s there are a few interesting stores in addition to the Diamonds International and so forth.  The small quilting shop is wonderful.

Also use goggle to find the Skagway visitor bureau.  I suspect their website will have some ideas.

3 hours ago, eyern1 said:

Just looking specifically for things to do in town while walking around, thanks

I lived in Skagway many years ago and still visit frequently.  My favorite things:  halibut and chips with a spruce tip ale at Skagway Brewing, The Park Service museum and movie in the old train depot, the museum at Corrington's gift shop with their fabulous scrimshaw display, Penuche fudge at the Alaska Fudge Company, the ship memorials painted on the cliffs next to the railroad dock, walking out to the Gold Rush Cemetary and Reid Falls, Klondike Doughboy, the National Geographic book store and gift shop, the hardware store ("If we don't have it, you don't need it"), Pullen Park, Dyea and the Chilkoot Trail, the train to Bennett Lake and Carcross, the fast ferry to Haines.

Things I don't like:  cruise ship owned jewelry stores, big box Made in China souvenir stores, the Red Onion Saloon (although I love their sign), the wind, five-cruise-ship days, litter, Liarsville.

• Like 1