Alesund Trollstigen Land Of the Trolls

Hi, We are in port 8am to 10pm! Summer cruise .

I am wanting to book this tour with local trips.no to get as much time sight seeing as possible  tours are 6.5hrs long.

Has anyone done this tour please and can share your experiences if it is a good trip and not too long just sitting on the bus? 

Thanks

We did the Trollstigen by rental car from Alesund. Avis has an office not too far from the cruise terminal. Easy to drive yourself, but driving ägainst the clock" is easier since you will decend and not climb. Make it a nice roundtrip with a stop at Mt. Aksla on the return. 

We left about 9  and incl. various stops and lunch we returned around 5 pm/.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 10:00 AM, Ine said:

We did the Trollstigen by rental car from Alesund. Avis has an office not too far from the cruise terminal. Easy to drive yourself, but driving ägainst the clock" is easier since you will decend and not climb. Make it a nice roundtrip with a stop at Mt. Aksla on the return. 

We left about 9  and incl. various stops and lunch we returned around 5 pm/.

Hi, I am very interested in planning a similar type of adventure.  Did you reserve your car in advance with Avis, as I'm searching for car rental options and they are all offering pickup by the airport - I can't tell from general website how to book from location near the cruise ship port.  And where did you get the map to plan your route to Trollstigen and then Mt Aksla?  

55 minutes ago, queen_kathy1 said:

Hi, I am very interested in planning a similar type of adventure.  Did you reserve your car in advance with Avis, as I'm searching for car rental options and they are all offering pickup by the airport - I can't tell from general website how to book from location near the cruise ship port.  And where did you get the map to plan your route to Trollstigen and then Mt Aksla?  

We reserved our car through Avis at this address: Nedre Standgate 50. From the cruiseterminal we turned left and it was about a 10 minutes walk. Very friendly staff. The office closed at 4 pm but there was a key drop, so we could return the car later. We were back around 5 pm.

We used google maps to plan the drive and of course we checked it again from time to time. It was rather easy. More or less it is Hwy E 39, near Sjohold we took road 650. Near Vaksviga we turned left to the road that tooks us to Trollstigen.

After the stop there we continued the drive down, to hwy 136 and turned left. . Once back in Alesund before getting i to the center you will see signs to Mt. Aksla. Also many people speak english so you can always ask for direction when in doubt. 

I made a photo of Google maps to give you an idea. 

oute Trollstigen.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks so much @Ine !  Curious what month you travelled there, how you found doing the drive yourself on the narrow winding road and how busy the road was?  I'm concerned about a bus blocking the road, getting stuck and missing the boat!  We will be in port from 7am-5pm on July 30

1 hour ago, queen_kathy1 said:

Thanks so much @Ine !  Curious what month you travelled there, how you found doing the drive yourself on the narrow winding road and how busy the road was?  I'm concerned about a bus blocking the road, getting stuck and missing the boat!  We will be in port from 7am-5pm on July 30

We found another poster that time on this board that had done it and he convinced us to do it as well. We loved it! No the road is not really narrow, regular 2 lanes or even 4 lanes sometimes. Only at trollstigen you have the many curves, the rest is regular. We didnot have any problems with traffic. On Trollstigen we had one bus in front of us going down but of course we couldnot drive that fast ourselves. We were lucky that our ship was leaving at 11pm, so we didnot have to hurry. Your problem might be that Avis opens at 9 or 9.30, check that. So you need to pick up the car as soon as possible. It is doable, we made many photo stops, had coffee and later also lunch. If you would skip lunch you should have enough time I think. I cannot promise you any or none problems on the road of course.

Edited by Ine
  • Like 1

I think we may be on the same itinerary (Prima).  This excursion was almost a must do, but seeing how beautiful Alesund looks and several all day excursions booked, we opted not to do this.  I hope we aren't making a mistake by missing this. It does look gorgeous.