MSC Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

juancarlosgarciasanchez

2 hours ago, Ottawa_Cruiser said:

Yes, I have the Rome2Rio app and it indicates this is possible. Am I being mislead? 😆

I’m not familiar with Rome2Rio but there’s a lot of moving parts there. 

1. get to Weehawken

2. Ferry to Manhattan

3. Downtown to Wall St

4. Ferry to Red Hook

Possible? Yes. Advisable, not so sure. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RichYak said:

I’m not familiar with Rome2Rio but there’s a lot of moving parts there. 

1. get to Weehawken

2. Ferry to Manhattan

3. Downtown to Wall St

4. Ferry to Red Hook

Possible? Yes. Advisable, not so sure. 

Yes - you're right. Lots of moving parts for sure. I'll give it more thought.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 6:55 PM, Ottawa_Cruiser said:

Yes, I have the Rome2Rio app and it indicates this is possible. Am I being mislead? 😆

I tried to find information about water taxi from NJ to Red Hook. I found nothing, the Water Taxi I found was for group reservations. I really wanted to use a ferry to get to the terminal but I could not find an easy way to do it. 

14 minutes ago, dmjrjcsfoley said:

I tried to find information about water taxi from NJ to Red Hook. I found nothing, the Water Taxi I found was for group reservations. I really wanted to use a ferry to get to the terminal but I could not find an easy way to do it. 

Go from Weehaken to Midtown, then get to Pier 11 and take the water ferry to Red hook. 

2 hours ago, dmjrjcsfoley said:

I could not find an easy way to do it. 

That's because there isn't one. It requires 2 different ferries plus a bus/train/taxi ride to get from one ferry to the other. It's simply not practical.

On 10/21/2023 at 1:43 PM, AstoriaPreppy said:

It’s a bit like the subway… there’s no prohibition about bringing big bags on the train, but it’s certainly an acquired skill if you’re not used to it, and you might be an annoyance to the regulars. 

That said, ferry use in NY is way lower than the subway, so you’re much more likely to have plenty of space near your seat to tuck your bags away. Wall St - Red Hook isn’t exactly a booming route. 

Thanks. Dumb question from someone who's never ridden the NYC ferry before: do we have assigned seats or do people just mill around out on the deck? Or is there just general seating for folks who want to sit?

1 hour ago, jcathers1 said:

Thanks. Dumb question from someone who's never ridden the NYC ferry before: do we have assigned seats or do people just mill around out on the deck? Or is there just general seating for folks who want to sit?

NYC Ferry operated by Hornblower on the East River between Brooklyn/Queens and Manhattan boats are not assigned seats. It is a double-hull catamaran. The lower deck that you board over a ramp has indoor seating divided by two isles. Some seats face each other with a table between them. There is also a small refreshment stand selling food/snacks/beverages including adult drink variants. 
If you walk through aft to the rear and outside you can climb stairs to the upper deck where there is limited outside seating. 
No one is allowed to stand on the front of the boat when it is underway and the stairs on the front from the upper deck are usually only used to exit at Wall Street. Only the DUMBO route get very crowded in the Summer with tourists that the boat gets to capacity and people are refused boarding from my experience. YMMV 

The best way is to purchase your ticket on their phone app but ticket machines are at every pier that take cash and credit card. If you are using a physical ticket you need to ask for a transfer (might have changed, long time since I transferred).

Disabled and Senior fares you need to register for and are not available for purchase just by walking up.

Yes, there are lines at the pier queued up by the destination. First come first served and standees are allowed. $4 fare one way.

From New Jersey: 

People are confusing this ferry service with the one to Ikea and/or to/from New Jersey which is operated by New York Waterway and uses different types of boats and mainly operates across the Hudson River (North River for nautical types). 

You could go on NY Waterway ferry to Peir 11 Wall Street and by a separate ticket for NYC Ferry from Wall St to Red Hook Atlantic Basin but the pier 11 NY Waterway service runs on weekdays and is limited times fare ranges from $8.50 to $13.50 Example Hoboken to Wall St is $8.50 weekdays only 7 departures from Hoboken between 6 and 9:50. 

To add, when you finally get into the drop off area, to the right at the beginning is the shared ride pick up spot.

I'll see if I can find the other thread, but the YC tent is off to the left as someone pointed out in a map.  One other person later said, I believe incorrectly, the YC tent was right by the entrance.

What we had was tent to left after you make the turn and are parallel to the ship.  There was no one there though.  A coach bus parked and the driver actually took over and put tags on bags then to racks.

You walk back north to a staging area with just one land butler, who was absent because someone thought that was the drop off spot and he had to cart their luggage back to the other tent.

He then takes you into the terminal.  Once inside told to go to counter even though we said YC.  Agent checked us in then realized YC then walked us to separate YC check-in.  So once in terminal and approaching the wall of agents, turn left, walk forward until you see the ship butlers and they will take you to counter.

On 11/1/2023 at 6:16 AM, jcathers1 said:

On 11/1/2023 at 7:56 AM, Brighton Line said:

NYC Ferry operated by Hornblower on the East River between Brooklyn/Queens and Manhattan boats are not assigned seats. It is a double-hull catamaran. The lower deck that you board over a ramp has indoor seating divided by two isles. Some seats face each other with a table between them. There is also a small refreshment stand selling food/snacks/beverages including adult drink variants. 
If you walk through aft to the rear and outside you can climb stairs to the upper deck where there is limited outside seating. 
No one is allowed to stand on the front of the boat when it is underway and the stairs on the front from the upper deck are usually only used to exit at Wall Street. Only the DUMBO route get very crowded in the Summer with tourists that the boat gets to capacity and people are refused boarding from my experience. YMMV 

The best way is to purchase your ticket on their phone app but ticket machines are at every pier that take cash and credit card. If you are using a physical ticket you need to ask for a transfer (might have changed, long time since I transferred).

Disabled and Senior fares you need to register for and are not available for purchase just by walking up.

Yes, there are lines at the pier queued up by the destination. First come first served and standees are allowed. $4 fare one way.

From New Jersey: 

People are confusing this ferry service with the one to Ikea and/or to/from New Jersey which is operated by New York Waterway and uses different types of boats and mainly operates across the Hudson River (North River for nautical types). 

You could go on NY Waterway ferry to Peir 11 Wall Street and by a separate ticket for NYC Ferry from Wall St to Red Hook Atlantic Basin but the pier 11 NY Waterway service runs on weekdays and is limited times fare ranges from $8.50 to $13.50 Example Hoboken to Wall St is $8.50 weekdays only 7 departures from Hoboken between 6 and 9:50. 

@Brighton Line responded much more thoroughly than I could have… TLDR: no assigned seats, and the ferries are almost never that busy unless you’re going to DUMBO. You’ll queue up based on your ferry line/destination, and it’s largely orderly. 

To clarify, we’re talking about two different ferry services in this thread: 

The “official” NYC Ferry is run by Hornblower. Service operates between the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn, and takes you to the cruise terminal in Red Hook: https://www.ferry.nyc

The ferries that run to NJ are run by NY Waterway: https://www.nywaterway.com

As mentioned, NY Waterway also operates a free IKEA ferry that runs from midtown/Wall Street to IKEA in Red Hook, Brooklyn, not that far from the cruise terminal. At least as of my last riding several years ago, the IKEA ferry restricts passengers to only bringing on what would fit in an IKEA blue bag, nothing larger. This was specifically done to prevent passengers from dragging flat pack furniture (or suitcases) onto the ferry.

• 2 weeks later...