Origins - History of HAL Presentation/Lecture - still happening?

eroller

Back in October I sailed on NIEUW AMSTERDAM and the first night was a presentation titled "Origins".  It was a scripted lecture on the history of HAL hosted and narrated by the cruise director.  It was sparsely attended but I quite enjoyed it.  Unfortunately I had to leave about 1/2 through for dinner.  I did think it was odd it was the first night welcome show and it was never repeated during the cruise (or broadcast).  It was a one and done. 

I'm sailing on ROTTERDAM in a couple days and was checking out all the activities that have appeared in the Navigator App.  No Origins lecture is listed.  Instead is Cantare which honestly is better suited for a first night welcome show.  Still I'm hoping for the opportunity to see Origins again, and wondering if it's still a feature on every HAL cruise?  Maybe they got smart and made it an afternoon lecture (better suited) or are presenting it some other evening onboard? 

I am happy to hear Cantare is still around, and I'm envious that you'll get to hear them. I have yet to be on a cruise that had them scheduled and would much prefer them to Step One. And definitely better than the origin story. That should be an option on the TV.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I am happy to hear Cantare is still around, and I'm envious that you'll get to hear them. I have yet to be on a cruise that had them scheduled and would much prefer them to Step One. And definitely better than the origin story. That should be an option on the TV.

I actually greatly enjoyed Origins but I’m really into ocean liner history.  I did feel the setting as the first night’s featured entertainment was lame (and a cost cutting initiative). It would be far more appropriate as a sea day afternoon lecture.  

I’ve seen Cantare a few times now.  Different guys each time but always well done and enjoyable.  I look forward to seeing the show again.  

Funny I just found it listed as an encore performance on a sea day afternoon, which is perfect.  Still I have not found the first performance.  I’m guessing the activities currently listed in the Navigator App are incomplete.  

BF98F235-D0FD-4CED-AE89-74DB2A4FCD9C.jpeg

If your cruise itinerary matches one of ours, I still have the daily paper programs, which is what we used. Origin Story and other talks aren't listed in daily activites there; rather, they show under Entertainment and Events.
We just did the 10 day Feb 15- 25 and 11 day Feb 25- Mar 8. 

We enjoyed Origin Story and went twice. It was particularly poignant when Cruise & Travel Director Tjalling talked about the various crises during HAL's history. He was aboard I believe it was the Volendam, when the world suddenly shut down for Covid, and no ships were allowed to dock. I checked the Officers' biographies on the tv screen in the cabin. He has been with HAL 4 years, starting in Dutch Cafe, then Internet station, and then Cruise Director! I wonder whether his performance during Covid represented exemplary behaviour? At any rate, he is an excellent speaker and we attended all of his talks.

Other talks he gave were:
Islands of the Mind- story of how 3 people influenced the Caribbean- Hemingway, Ian Fleming, and Jimmy Buffet. Very enjoyable.
The Caribbean Spirit- the story of rum. Very enjoyable.
Catching Waves- the history of surfing. Interesting, as we knew next to nothing about it!
A City on the Sea- how things operate on the ship behind the scenes. Kind of a standard, but well done.
The Wizard of Wireless- the discovery of radio waves and its development, up to internet at sea. Really interesting.

Photos show the cover page of the daily program for the date, and then the inside of it  showing the talks on that date.

20230327_112456.jpg

20230327_112505.jpg

• Like 1

This talk on HAL's history is, by far, the best of the EXC talks.  It is well worth attending if you have not already.  The other EXC talks are OK, but not really relevant to HAL passengers.  Plus they keep redoing the same ones on multiple cruises, so if you saw one of them once, there is no point in seeing it again.  I would hope HAL adds more of these talks to get more variety.