Seeking clarification on passport requirements with a sort of specific question!

gigem_aggies

5 hours ago, gigem_aggies said:

Well, our friends have decided to cancel as they just don't feel like they have enough time to get their passport.  This was a last minute booking (yesterday), so they were able to get a full refund, thankfully.

I will say this though--the wording from NCL's website and the vagueness of their agents when asked for specific requirements for this sailing are an issue.  This is specifically listed as a Caribbean cruise on both the NCL site and on the booking confirmation.  I realize that the Caribbean covers a wide range of areas, but then NCL should update their wording on the Travel Documents page they keep referring guests to so as not to lump all of the Caribbean in with birth certificates as an acceptable form of documentation.  If there are ports on Caribbean sailings that require a passport for travel, then the below photo is NOT accurate information.  

And, we always travel with passports and I'm not debating the importance of having them.  In this particular instance there wasn't enough time for our friends to renew as it was a last minute booking for them.

Passport requirement.JPG

one of my favorite quotes is from Teddy Kennedy:

Chance favors the prepared man.

Shortened to the  Boy Scouts:

Be Prepared.

Please stop trying to blame a cruise line on what is an obvious requirement for international travel to multiple countries.  Since your friends have expired passports, they should understand the need for them for travel outside the US.

The people w/o passports need to contact NCL ASAP to find out for sure. That itinerary is not a Caribbean itinerary. Closed-loop Caribbean itineraries may be fine for the birth certificate option, but you’re in South America and Central America for part of this itinerary. They may need to get to a passport office ASAP to get a passport issued. If they have their certified birth certificate, it should be easy, but they’ll have to go in person to get it done ASAP. Just renewed my husband’s passport online and expedited and it took 5 weeks. Always go to the source for clarity. 

6 minutes ago, cmaygar said:

The people w/o passports need to contact NCL ASAP to find out for sure.

reading the entire thread is helpful - several posts ago the OP indicated that their friends have resolution...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Yes, but the 6 hours in detention, and the body cavity searches are not desirable.

Nonsense. You'll have a birth certificate a drivers license, possibly other documents and other information that you can supply when questioned that will allow them to verify your identity fairly quickly. . Remember USCBP has had the passenger manifest since at least an hour before the ship originally sailed so they know who's on board and they know that the cruise line has checked the documentation you supplied. You're not showing up at the border unannounced and undocumented.

12 hours ago, gigem_aggies said:

You can see below how the cruise we booked is listed as a Caribbean cruise

I can clearly see the cruise you booked goes to three countries which are NOT part of the Caribbean:  Panama, Costa Rica, and Columbia.  Further, those three countries are not part of the list you posted under which a passport is not required.  Calling it a Caribbean cruise is just a way to group cruises by general geographic destination.  It has zero to do with passport requirements.

My opinion:  Passport Required. 

I'm sorry your friends felt the need to cancel. I hope you are still able to enjoy the cruise! 

If your friends decide to rebook, they have plenty of time to get a passport using the same day service. We just did this three weeks ago. My husband was granted citizenship on 3/9 and changed his last name, so we needed a passport for him to cruise on 3/18. 

Exactly 14 days before (I feel like @BirdTravels haha) sailing (3/6, due to weekend), he called to make an appointment with the passport agency in NYC or Buffalo. He chose Buffalo. On 3/15 he was in Buffalo at 10 AM for his appointment. At 2 PM he was driving home with a crisp, brand new passport. You just have to show proof of travel...even though the passport agency personnel did not ask for it, you should have it. 

Happy sailing to you! 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, cmaygar said:

The people w/o passports need to contact NCL ASAP to find out for sure. That itinerary is not a Caribbean itinerary. Closed-loop Caribbean itineraries may be fine for the birth certificate option, 

I hope you research any requirements for passports to some  Caribbean islands, closed loop cruise or not.

If you don't, you will be left on the pier at embarkation for some close loop itineraries if you don't have a passport

1 hour ago, razor7_us said:

Passport is required. Your itinerary will take you through the Gatun locks and into Lake Gatun as well as a port of call in Colon. Either way you look at it it is a Canal cruise

Although a passport is required your reasons for it are wrong.

This cruise isn't a partial transit that takes you into Gatun Lake. The ship is docking in Colon in the morning, and that will be the jumping off point for excursions. The ship remains docked in Colon all day.

FYI, even if it were a partial transit the Joy is too big to use the Gatun locks, which are part of the original canal. The ship would use the new expansion locks, in this case the Agua Clara locks, if it were a partial transit.