Mendenhall Glacier - Blue Bus

CLM0928

We are wanting to do Mendenhall Glacier and Falls on our own so we are not limited on time.  I have seen reviews on different websites about the Blue Bus be packed or having to wait a very long time for ride back into town.  Any input on if this is a good choice would be greatly appreciated advice.  Princess excursion shows 90min but we don't want to be stuck to a time limit.  Thanks!

• Like 1

We did it this past Aug, there are multiple booths to buy tickets, the pickup  is right at the parking lot for the tram.  We got right on a bus, no wait.  On way back we stood at bus stop maybe 10 minutes, no problems.  That was around lunchtime.  Buses come and go constantly.

I am sure if you wait to last minute, it will be an issue but they have buses running every 20 minutes from what we were told.  

• Like 1

What about the City Bus Capital Transit.  $2.00 USD per person one way. From drop off point, if I recall, it is about a mile.  Bus station is downtown.  Takes an hour to get to the Mendenhall Glacier.  We have done this in the past.  Nice to see where people live in Juneau.  See who rides the bus.  We happen to be there all day 8 to 9 pm on our May cruise.  If the weather is nice, I think we will give that a try.   Mendenhall Glacier is stunning and the trail to the waterfall scenic as well.  Right down there beside the waterfall. Fabulous.  Again, we have all day so no need to fuss.   We cruise a fair amount and when there is a cheaper way, we usually take it.  .  

The blue bus is run by M & M tours  https://www.mmtoursofjuneau.com/land-tours The cost this year is $45 per adult, you can haggle it down to $40 if you show them a NPS Senior pass when you buy your ticket. The bus leaves from the Tram parking lot, it doesn’t go down the AJ pier, it’s pretty good hike from AJ pier to the Tram area, in years past there has been s shuttle bus that runs down back and forth from AJ pier. Were taken the Blue bus and the white bus numerous times without any problems. A word of caution if you decide to walk from the city bus stop at the entrance of the park, there have been known to be bears in the area along the sidewalk in the past. Last year when we went to Mendenhall Glacier the trail to Nugget falls was closed due to bear activity.

Other than just getting the bus transportation out to the glacier there are vendors at the tram location who for a few dollars more take you on a designated bus with a designated driver who gives commentary on the drive, drops you at the visitor's center for an allotted amount of time (which was plenty to hike to the falls and look at exhibits) and then stops at the whale statue fountain in town for photos as well.  No waiting for the return as he has given you the time to report back to the bus.  I did this twice last year with no problems or disappointments.  I think it was $55 but to me worth the little extras.

• Like 2