CoCo Cay Snorkeling

okiedrifters

Good morning! 

We are going to CoCo Cay with our granddaughter soon. My question is can she snorkel (with her own equipment) without paying a fee?  

I was looking at the excursion email I received and it offers snorkeling for 39ish and I was wondering if that is for rental equip or if it is also for just being able to snorkel there?  She and her dad want to snorkel and if they need to pay to be able to do so, they will. I just want them to be prepared.

Thanks so much for any help, I really appreciate it!  Any additional info about snorkeling there is greatly appreciated! 

Have a great day! 

EJ 

• 2 weeks later...

Do not pay the rental if you have your own gear just go to booth on the other side of bridge and pick up a yellow vest. That is it. I carry my own gear every cruise I keep mine all day in case I want to go back in. Return right before I board.

Just an extra note- If you hit the little straw market they require you to pay cash (so you do not have to run back to ship like I did once).

If she likes chicken go get get the secret chicken sandwich. 😜

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aisahunterrider said:

Do not pay the rental if you have your own gear just go to booth on the other side of bridge and pick up a yellow vest. That is it. I carry my own gear every cruise I keep mine all day in case I want to go back in. Return right before I board.

Just an extra note- If you hit the little straw market they require you to pay cash (so you do not have to run back to ship like I did once).

If she likes chicken go get get the secret chicken sandwich. 😜

Is the snorkeling vest mandatory?  Since when?

On 4/9/2023 at 7:12 PM, aisahunterrider said:

is the straw market the same as the CocoCay Island Market?  If so, cash and SeaPass are accepted there...

jean87510- I have been told the vests are needed - my experiences with the staff. I also swim alone. It is not a bad idea if I go way out so they can see me. If you are fluttering near the shore that is a different story. 

Candleonwater - Coco Cay Island market is a bunch of little kiosks .(way more expensive then Nassau's straw market)  Last time I think about 6 were open. I have bought many items on different trips and had to pay cash. No Sea Pass card. They are vendors of the Bahamas, not the cruise line from what the ladies have told me. It may have changed recently, maybe someone else may know. 

The cruise line does have its own Coco Cay tourist kiosk  by the bridge. It is not anything to get excited about. T-shirts, hats etc. 

9 hours ago, aisahunterrider said:

jean87510- I have been told the vests are needed - my experiences with the staff. I also swim alone. It is not a bad idea if I go way out so they can see me. If you are fluttering near the shore that is a different story. 

Candleonwater - Coco Cay Island market is a bunch of little kiosks .(way more expensive then Nassau's straw market)  Last time I think about 6 were open. I have bought many items on different trips and had to pay cash. No Sea Pass card. They are vendors of the Bahamas, not the cruise line from what the ladies have told me. It may have changed recently, maybe someone else may know. 

The cruise line does have its own Coco Cay tourist kiosk  by the bridge. It is not anything to get excited about. T-shirts, hats etc. 

ugh.  Thanks.  Do not understand the point when you can stand in shallow water of life vests.  If regular swimmers don't have to wear them, makes zero sense that snorkelers do.  Looks like we are not snorkeling at coco cay.  

10 hours ago, aisahunterrider said:

I actually pulled the sheet out of my bag, from my cruise last week. Looks to me like it's changed.

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

ugh.  Thanks.  Do not understand the point when you can stand in shallow water of life vests.  If regular swimmers don't have to wear them, makes zero sense that snorkelers do.  Looks like we are not snorkeling at coco cay.  

I was snorkeling at Chill Beach, out beyond the rocks, and no one said anything to me about a vest.  That being said, even though I'm a good swimmer, almost wish I had one on.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Candleonwater said:

I actually pulled the sheet out of my bag, from my cruise last week. Looks to me like it's changed.

I was snorkeling at Chill Beach, out beyond the rocks, and no one said anything to me about a vest.  That being said, even though I'm a good swimmer, almost wish I had one on.

Was it any good?  We are spoiled by the ABCs.  We were at Coco Cay before but just vegetated at South Beach.  I saw a YouTube video about decent snorkeling to the far right of south beach and we were thinking of heading there possibly as it didn't look crowded.  

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

Was it any good?  We are spoiled by the ABCs.  We were at Coco Cay before but just vegetated at South Beach.  I saw a YouTube video about decent snorkeling to the far right of south beach and we were thinking of heading there possibly as it didn't look crowded.  

Snorkeling at Chill Beach was just meh, but I only do it casually (to say hi to some fish). Supposedly here are sunken items (boats?) if you venture out a bit. This was our first stop at Coco Cay since the change.  As skeptical as I was, I LOVE the change. We have always just gone to South Beach, but I hate the way the water is gone during low tide.  Will have to check out the area you mentioned next time.

15 minutes ago, Candleonwater said:

Snorkeling at Chill Beach was just meh, but I only do it casually (to say hi to some fish). Supposedly here are sunken items (boats?) if you venture out a bit. This was our first stop at Coco Cay since the change.  As skeptical as I was, I LOVE the change. We have always just gone to South Beach, but I hate the way the water is gone during low tide.  Will have to check out the area you mentioned next time.

Yes the water receding was a huge factor around 2ish when we just moved.  We will be there in August, November and April 2025.  We did reserve the water park for my husband and I for just a fun day in November.  August we will try that "secret" area and I'll post pictures of where and what we saw.  We do have our own vests but I hate them as they are just annoying especially since we like to dive down a lot.  We have just thrown them on to appease people but then we get yelled at for not inflating.  Meanwhile the guides never wear them which irritates us as we want to go down with them.  I think the guides shouldn't be touching stuff to bring up to show but hey I don't make the rules!  🙂

14 hours ago, Medtech2 said:

Snorkeling vests are not mandatory when you use your own gear. That said, for a child I would suggest one.  If you're packing gear, snorkel vests are flat when uninflated so why not buy your own?

The other poster just stated they were told by staff the vests were mandatory at coco cay.