Question: Transfer a Reservation to Another Person

RaisonDT

This May, I will be taking my mom on a 7-day cruise (our first vacation since the outbreak of Covid) to Alaska (balcony room) via Norwegian. One of her friends wanted to tag along and booked an adjacent balcony room as a solo traveler back in January. However, this friend is not able to make the trip due to a sudden work trip announced recently. Fortunately, her company is willing to compensate her for the loss so she suggested giving us the room so both my mom and I can have our own rooms. Thus, my question is: is this even possible? and what would be the best way to do this? This is our first cruise trip so any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I don't believe you can.  I've heard that you can change names on a reservation but at least one name on the room needs to remain from the original booking.  As there was only one person in the room you can't swap them out.

Edited by hallux

1 minute ago, DorothyB said:

I wonder what would happen if mom moved into the other room and the friend is a "no show"?

It is after final payment so I'm not sure what the penalties would be to move mom Into the other room.

ncl will probably just cancel the room if there is a no show. when you check in, you will get key cards consistent with  your cabin. you or your mom wont be able to get the card for the other room. 

even if all goes well, i think it's a little tricky with what you want to do. why take the chance. 

It might be possible IF the person paid full fare (no solo discount). In that case they should be able to add a 2nd person to the reservation in stepwise fashion, assuming they did not use the BOGO airfare.

1) Move your mom (assuming she is #2 on your reservation) to the 2nd room

2) Remove your friend from her reservation, your mom becomes passenger #1

Just make sure that you let the person you speak with know exactly what you are planning to do so that there aren't any oops moments.  NCL's system doesn't like having 1 person with 2 reservations on the same cruise so it could hickup.  Good luck.

Note:  if you call and they say no, you can always plead your case to guest services (might leave of the part about her getting reimbursed LOL).  They have the authority to override policy.

vicepresidentguestservices@ncl.com

• Like 1