Americas cup excursion in St Marteen

cruisinthedaysby

My husband and I just did this in January, and we felt it was fantastic! We are both 55+, but there was a variety of ages on our sailboat. Time was spent explaining our roles and training before we raced against 2 other sailboats. Many of these roles were quite physical, but there were crew members aboard to help if needed. Afterwards we headed out to sea just to enjoy the experience a little longer. We'd do it again in a heart beat!

We did it also a couple of years ago. (We were in our early/mid 50's at the time). DH was a "grinder" and I was a cheerleader/bartender! It was a lot of fun and we would definitely do it again. DH still proudly wears his t-shirt. (If you bring your old t-shirt and do it again, they'll give you a brand new t-shirt free! ;)

We did this excursion last year and would definately do it again, but my other hobby is sailing. I got to take the helm on "Stars and Stripes" for a half hour after the race was over. I would recommend going in the late morning if possible. We were on in the late afternoon and it did get very warm, particularly while we were on the dock waiting for the boats to finish the previous excursion.

Hands down, by far the best excursion I've ever been on. We didn't go to St. Maarten on our last cruise and that's a mistake I won't make again. I want to race those boats again....

My hubby to be and I are headed to St Maarten on the CB in Sept.. one of the things he first noticed when we met 5 yrs ago was the pic I have of this tour from the mid-90s and he's talked about it ever since when we see each other at family gatherings.. I guess he figured he had to marry me to get me to take him there :) I didn't tell him the tour was really open to the public:eek: :eek: ;)

in a word (well, two words): it's fabulous

We have thought of doing this tour, but my DH doesn't know how to swim and because of that has a fear of the water, especially where he might fall in. I noticed in the pictures no one has life jackets on. Should he find another tour?

We have thought of doing this tour, but my DH doesn't know how to swim and because of that has a fear of the water, especially where he might fall in. I noticed in the pictures no one has life jackets on. Should he find another tour?
Does anyone know if you need to know how to swim:confused:

I have read on these boards you can't book this tour independently, only thru Princess tours. The Princess website shows the tour costing $89pp thru Oct 21, 2006. It is a 3 hour tour.

I have read on these boards you can't book this tour independently, only thru Princess tours. The Princess website shows the tour costing $89pp thru Oct 21, 2006. It is a 3 hour tour.

Thanks, after posting I realized that you have to book through the ship and checked the Princess site. It seems to indicate that the 12 meter tour dates are only May 06, 2006 - Oct 21, 2006!!!????

Is this thing available in January?

Thanks, after posting I realized that you have to book through the ship and checked the Princess site. It seems to indicate that the 12 meter tour dates are only May 06, 2006 - Oct 21, 2006!!!????

Is this thing available in January?

My guess is the pricing on Princess website ends Oct 21, 2006. We were in St Maarten Dec 28th and this tour was offered. I'm pretty sure it's offered year round.

We will be there Nov 1st this year. We have heard so many great things about it, but we need to know if you have to know how to swim:confused:

As an avid sailor, I can tell you 100% that you do not have to know how to swim to sail aboard one of these 65-75 foot long yachts. (The "12 meter" refers to the class of boat not the length)

You don't need to know how to swim. When you get on board they offer life jackets for anyone that wants one. When we went on it in January no one took them up on the offer.

The boats are pretty good sized for the amount of people they take. So you should feel pretty comfortable. But if your husband can't swim, he should probably wear one -- even if no one else does. I'm sure it is very safe, but you are out in open water.

I would agree that it is a great excursion. It does take about three hours, and it was $89/person. The photo is $30 which is why we didn't get it. You can take a camera or camcorder on board. I would just bring it in a water proof bag.

We took the early time (8:30am I think). We wanted to be off the water before the sun got too hot.

They take you back to their store on the pier after the trip, where you can buy t-shirts, pictures, etc. From there you can walk to town or they will take you back to the pier by the ship.

You don't need to know how to swim. When you get on board they offer life jackets for anyone that wants one. When we went on it in January no one took them up on the offer.
That's good to know. I saw some of the pictures where the sailboat is really leaning and very close to the water. If he fell overboard, it wouldn't be good:eek:

Just saw on their site:

There are complimentary drinks on board: water, soda, and beer......

There are no toilets/heads on board our yachts, although there are plenty back at the compound. Be sure to go before you leave if you think you wont last 3 hours.

Free beer and no bathroom... what a combo!:D

Nope, we were on True North and we won. I think they kinda take turns, but it was so much fun. We did it while on a land trip to St. Maartin. I do not swim and took the life jacket, but it can get warm and the captain really watches what it going on - that is why sometimes you think you are going to be the winner and I know for safety reasons, they will hold back if a problem arises. If your DH is "terrified" of water, than I would not suggest it. But,if he is just nervouce tell him he can put on his lifejacket and just enjoy:)

Oh ya, I was the "barmaid". :eek:

We will be there Nov 1st this year. We have heard so many great things about it, but we need to know if you have to know how to swim:confused:
Vicki... Erica and I did this several years ago and it was one of the best tours ever. I was the "navigator" and got to sit at the very back of the boat, out of the way. Everyone got into the spirit of competition and had fun doing it.

You don't have to know how to swim but you should be aware that they take you to the boat on a "barge" and you transfer from that onto the 12-meter. That can be pretty tricky as you are jumping from one boat with a platform to another with a narrow step. But if I can do it, you can certainly do it! :)

I would strongly suggest some good boat shoes, such as sneakers that have a good grip, so that you won't be afraid of slipping. And, wear a visor or a hat, put on strong sunscreen and perhaps a long-sleeved shirt if you are sensitive to the sun. You're on water (which reflects the sun and can burn you more quickly because you're not aware of it, even if it's cloudy) and there's no shade for several hours so there's no relief from the sun if you feel yourself getting burned.

Archived