Mobility Scooter/Mexican Riviera Cruise

sde1960

We're traveling to Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta & Mazatlan. I will have a mobility scooter. What are some options for excursions? In P.V., what's the best was to get from the cruise port to the Malecon with my scooter?

If you happen to be on the Carnival Panorama there is an accessible tender. Actually, it is the same tender for everyone, but they load those with wheelchairs and scooters at a separate entrance using a ramp. Other than it bit bumpy going over the threshold, getting on and off the tender is no problem. Have fun!

Pardon my ignorance, are you referring to the port area walkway with various shops and restaurants? If so, when you exit the tender in Puerto Vallarta you can you use your scooter to traverse the entire boardwalk area. Some of the walkway is concrete, some cobblestone (which can be bumpy but is not a problem).

If you are wanting to go further inland I would suggest looking into a cruise line operated excursion. The cruise line’s excursion section on their website often includes helpful information about accessibility and some of their excursions will accommodate a scooter.  On Carnival you can also e-mail their special needs/access department with specific questions. They were able to answer several questions for us prior to the cruise. I can’t say for sure, but I highly doubt a city bus or taxi will be able to take your scooter. 

Hope you have a great time on your trip!

1 hour ago, fluffyclouds said:

Pardon my ignorance, are you referring to the port area walkway with various shops and restaurants? If so, when you exit the tender in Puerto Vallarta you can you use your scooter to traverse the entire boardwalk area. Some of the walkway is concrete, some cobblestone (which can be bumpy but is not a problem).

If you are wanting to go further inland I would suggest looking into a cruise line operated excursion. The cruise line’s excursion section on their website often includes helpful information about accessibility and some of their excursions will accommodate a scooter.  On Carnival you can also e-mail their special needs/access department with specific questions. They were able to answer several questions for us prior to the cruise. I can’t say for sure, but I highly doubt a city bus or taxi will be able to take your scooter. 

Hope you have a great time on your trip!

puerto Vallarta is not a tender port.  Suggest you ask on Ports of Call board for Mexican Riviera.

I spend lots of time in PV with my mobilty scooter - I have a Travelscoot.   It can fit just fine into the back of the Toyota Avanza cabs that are all over PV.   I don't even have to fold it up - it just fits in with the handlebars lowered.

I can go from the hotel zone where I stay  to the Malecon on my scooter - there is a bike lane and /or sidewalk the whole way.   It is rough for the first kilometre from the cruise port to where I would start.   Some sidewalks are very bumpy and often no cut-outs etc.

The Malecon is fine for a scooter  - it is pedestrian only and very wide and lovely.  Lots of shops and restaurants and great sculptures and the ocean etc.   I hope there will be transportation for you to get there with your scooter.  There are also large white vans around but not sure if they have wheelchair lifts in them?   Hopefully your cruise ship will have info for you. 

Very close to the port area there is a large Walmart and Galerias Vallarta - lovely upscale shopping centre with a food court on the second floor with great views of the port.   Elevator to take to go upstairs.

Good luck.