Celebrityers thinking of trying HAL for the Music Walk

27 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

My first HAL cruise - only because I was with a running group and that's what they used in AK at the time - was on the Westerdam and it was enough to make me NEVER go on HAL again.

Yikes. Sorry that you had that experience. It would’ve soured me as well.

To be honest, when I first got on the Westerdam, I had a hard time pinpointing anything that supported their claim of excellence. My elderly parents were traveling with us and it wasn’t until I mentioned this to my mother that she started pointing out all the little details about their service and quality that I had missed. I’m sure that her impressions would’ve been different had we encountered what you experienced.

With all of that said, there have been times when I didn’t have the best first experience on several cruise lines I’ve sailed on, and it wasn’t until I tried them again when I finally developed an appreciation for what they had to offer. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, hcat said:

I agree that a cozy piano bar is lacking.

We have been on EDGE class most recently so memory fades. From what I recall, there is a piano in the Martini Bar area on E class, .opp the  bar location..but it not a dedicated lounge area.. most all the music groups play there   Same with EDEN..not sure if there's a piano there?? have not seen a piano.in the Club.

X used to have a piano bar concept in  Michaels Club on M Class.( Perry Grant was on Connie) ..Area is now used as a suite lounge on some ships. There is a public bar on S Class " Ensemble Lounge"  (?)  where small music groups play..not sure if there is a piano there.  There is/was a baby grand in the  dance floor area on main level which no one apparently uses.

Guess the concept has faded on X.

Correction...on our  BEYOND cruise there  was a great entertainer in EDEN..singer, piano player...great playlist.not really a piano bar but he took requests

20221110_194602.jpg

• Like 1

I was just thinking it had been 17 years since we last sailed on HAL. Montreal to Boston on the Maasdam. On that cruise they had a couple of really nice small ensembles playing some really nice music. But we were in our 40's at the time. Way too young...

The Music Walk concept is interesting. The description is not as interesting, as it still seems to be stuck in a different demographic than it sounds like they're trying to attract. Much like Celebrity. When they say Rolling Stones, I somehow see Angie and Wild Horses, not Sympathy for the Devil. If they told me they were doing Jagged Little Pill...

I have no problem with those of you that do, but as a general rule I have little interest in sitting around a piano bar. I just see Nick the Lounge Singer (Bill Murray) on SNL. Every now and then for a half hour, maybe, but the beer isn't that good, and a good Manhattan is hard to find on Celebrity (again, been awhile for HAL). But we're 23 years into the 21st Century and not all the music of the last 23 years is crap...

End music rant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Correction...on our  BEYOND cruise there  was a great entertainer in EDEN..singer, piano player...great playlist.not really a piano bar but he took requests

20221110_194602.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what was he playing?

HAL used to focus on unique, longer itineraries on smaller ships where you got to know the crew and passengers in a relaxed sailing between port intensive stops. You may have a guest speaker on specific ports or topics. The main stage had nice production shows. Around 2017+ HAL decided larger ships (but smaller than other lines) and added "Music Walk" and more bars would entice younger passengers. But cabins got smaller as did its nice prominade deck. They got rid of their "house bands" and in house booking and tried to enhance their shows with cobtracted agency for Step One, Cantare, BBKIng lounge and Rolling Stone Lounge. We enjoy smaller "ocean liners" not hotels at sea. The HAL Pinnacle ships are great for a 7 day cruise if the bands are good. We got stuck with terrible piano players. The rock band were great but played the same songs every night. BB King band was good each night. All Venues were standing room only and you can hear one in the other lounge as they are next to each other. Music stops before 11 pm and nothing is open but maybe smoking bar aft pool deck. If you've seen Step One, BBC movie or Cantare (or do b2b or 10+ day) you will see a repeat show at the main stage. Even though they are parting ways with Lincoln Stage (no longer nightly option on ship but a guest act on main stage) and doing  away with BB King brand on non Pinnacle ships, they are adding longer itineraries on their smaller ships and adding some new venues away from the talent agency. Like other lines, COVID put a wrench in staffing and entertainment contracts and HAL is working its way to get back to its old focus (we hope) but doesnt seem to be able to get there as fast as other lines. Don't expect much change from posts you read over the next 12 months while debt is paid down. But HAL is worth a try if you haven't cruised with them. The crew tries to please, the food is decent and the passengers are somewhat human at a decent price point. If you sail a Pinnacle ship purchase the Club Orange (unless you book Neptune Suite where its included) and it will save time with customer service, dining and embarking/tendering. As with any line don't sail during school vacations or holidays as the crew may not be able to service the triple+ occupancy. 

• Like 1

The general reaction to the OP is that Holland America’s approach

to music on its larger ships (Pinnacle and Vista classes) is a breath 

of fresh air. I would certainly endorse those who are encouraging 

Scuppersisontheboat to give HAL a try. We are now dedicated

enthusiasts of the HAL product when Music Walk is available.

Celebrity is pretty much a thing of the past for us even though we

get Elite Plus benefits. Our experience is one NS cruise and two

on Oosterdam in the last year. Bach to Bon Jovi via Garth Brooks.

What’s not to like ? !

On 4/13/2023 at 8:46 PM, REOVA said:

... If you sail a Pinnacle ship purchase the Club Orange (unless you book Neptune Suite where its included) and it will save time with customer service, dining and embarking/tendering. ...

The other advantage with Club Orange is the free upgrade within a Meta-category of cabin. (i.e. pay for obstructed balcony and choose an aft balcony for free - subject to availability) The separate Club Orange dining room also get much better reviews for customer service even though the food is substantially the same. (One extra entrée to choose from for dinner, also free cappuccinos, expressos, Mimosas and fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast)

I sailed on Beyond at the end of January. I will be sailing on Koningsdam at the end of May to Alaska. (I chose HAL for the better itinerary and cabin price at the time).  I will be interested to compare the two ships since they are representative of the latest class each line offers.

1 hour ago, dreamer321 said:

The other advantage with Club Orange is the free upgrade within a Meta-category of cabin. (i.e. pay for obstructed balcony and choose an aft balcony for free - subject to availability) The separate Club Orange dining room also get much better reviews for customer service even though the food is substantially the same. (One extra entrée to choose from for dinner, also free cappuccinos, expressos, Mimosas and fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast)

I sailed on Beyond at the end of January. I will be sailing on Koningsdam at the end of May to Alaska. (I chose HAL for the better itinerary and cabin price at the time).  I will be interested to compare the two ships since they are representative of the latest class each line offers.

Hey Dreamer, so you were on the Beyond Jan 22-29?  So were we!  We did a back to back Jan 15/23.  If I recall correctly, there were 2900 on board, close to capacity but it didn’t feel too crowded to me.  Could you please comment to me how that felt compared to HAL at capacity?  I was getting a little spooked reading the HAL forum where there were like 600 kids on a holiday cruise..  I think it may be a function of Celebrity generally only having 2 per cabin, vs when I was poking around on the HAL site it would let me book 4 in most rooms, and even 5 in a suite, yikes!

1 hour ago, Scuppersisontheboat said:

Hey Dreamer, so you were on the Beyond Jan 22-29?  So were we!  We did a back to back Jan 15/23.  If I recall correctly, there were 2900 on board, close to capacity but it didn’t feel too crowded to me.  Could you please comment to me how that felt compared to HAL at capacity?  I was getting a little spooked reading the HAL forum where there were like 600 kids on a holiday cruise..  I think it may be a function of Celebrity generally only having 2 per cabin, vs when I was poking around on the HAL site it would let me book 4 in most rooms, and even 5 in a suite, yikes!

I won't be boarding Koningsdam for about another five weeks so I can't speak to her crowds yet but it is supposed to be at capacity (only a few inside cabins listed as available on website)

On Beyond from January 22 -29, 2023 the ship never felt crowded to me. I was always able to get a deck chair (maybe not poolside) or do any activity I wanted to.  I did plan and book ahead so I was able to get the specialty restaurants I wanted.  I don't recall seeing any kids on our cruise but I'm sure there were some there, just not many and not creating a disturbance. I would book Beyond again depending on the itinerary.  She was a beautiful ship and I really enjoyed the food, beverage and entertainment.

You are always going to get more kids on the ship during holidays. That's why I booked my cruises for late January, prior to Memorial Day and early December when most kids will be in school. I originally booked Apex for New Years Eve but switched to Beyond in late January when X ran a solo promo last year. Glad I did.