Free at sea perks

vanessa5076

Hi All

I am looking at booking an NCL cruise but am a little confused about the free at sea perk. How does the speciality dining work?  I can see that we get 2 meals but is there a limit on what you order? We usually cruise Princess so am used to their cover charge and set menus.

Thank you!

depends on the attitude of the person waiting on you. i have never been limited by a waiter in any specialty restaurant on what i order. get an appetizer, salad,  soup, main course, sides and a dessert, and never once been  told "no can do" 

if you go to teppanyaki, or moderno, it's irrelevant, as in moderno you can eat until you drop. and in teppanyaki, all you have to decide is what you want for the main course. everything else is included (other than your drink) btw, the teppanyaki chef, usually make more than enough fried rice and vegatables for 2nd's 

7 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i have never been limited by a waiter in any specialty restaurant on what i order.

Have you ever ordered multiple appetizers or desserts for yourself? How about main courses? I'm sure on the mains they'd say no. The main dining room I do it all the time. 

For a long time, 1SDP meal was 1 entrée, unlimited apps, unlimited sides, unlimited desserts. As long as you didn't order an extra entrée or an upcharge item, your meal was covered. Many people (myself included) ordered more than one of something small and were never charged. 

Recently, NCL changed the terms of the package to...

An SDP meal in a la carte restaurants includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert (does not apply to cover charge restaurants or Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar and Sushi, where a meal includes any 4 menu items). No sharing or to go orders permitted.

...however, some people have still been able to order multiple apps (for ex.) without being charged. Sometimes, the waiter will tell you that you are limited but extra items are zeroed out on the bill.  

On 4/14/2023 at 3:54 PM, complawyer said:

mistertomatoe

i usually order an appetizer, soup (french onion) lettuce wedge, fillet,  mushrooms, fries and onion rings. usually pass on dessert in cagneys, almost the same in le bistro, i usually  pass on la cucina.

Yes, the wording on the SDP may be more marketing than fact.  Since most report getting appetizer, soup and salad just as you mention.  It also doesn't mention sides.  Nor does it say anything about restaruants that have pizza or pasta courses as well as the appetizers and entrees such as La Cucina.  Also there are reports of sharing a voucher.

One cruiser advised to just order what you want and most likely it is covered (except multiple entrees).

Anyway the more people share the actual experience the better, thanks.