Douro Portugal Cruise

Cobbie48

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 5:00 PM, Cobbie48 said:

Cruising on Douro 3rd week in May.  What kind of weather should we expect?  

thanks

Will be interested to see if anyone answers...  Doing this cruise at the same time next year.

Fran

For what it's worth thesedays. May weather in and around Porto Portugal is typically mild with an average high in the high 60s / low 70s. Towards the end of the month you could see temps reaching the 80s but this is not typically.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 10:17 AM, Haqdeluxe said:

For what it's worth thesedays. May weather in and around Porto Portugal is typically mild with an average high in the high 60s / low 70s. Towards the end of the month you could see temps reaching the 80s but this is not typically.

Great for me...  I don't do well in extreme heat (Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand was a huge challenge for me...)

We leave mid-May - and it sounds as if the weather will be perfect!!

Fran

Just returned 3 days ago from a Duoro River cruise.  Weather was mostly sunny and coolish (high sixties).  Since I am always cold, all my photos show me in a light sweater. Only one afternoon did we have rain. Visiting the vineyards along the way they all said the same thing:  July and August can be almost unbearable with temps over 100 degrees at times. Last summer apparently was so hot and dry that the vines bore much less fruit.  Our river tour included 3 days in Spain, which was having a heat wave...temps in high eighties/low nineties.

39 minutes ago, lynncarol said:

Just returned 3 days ago from a Duoro River cruise.  Weather was mostly sunny and coolish (high sixties).  Since I am always cold, all my photos show me in a light sweater. Only one afternoon did we have rain. Visiting the vineyards along the way they all said the same thing:  July and August can be almost unbearable with temps over 100 degrees at times. Last summer apparently was so hot and dry that the vines bore much less fruit.  Our river tour included 3 days in Spain, which was having a heat wave...temps in high eighties/low nineties.

Eek. I may be spending my days by the pool. 😳

19 hours ago, bubbulz said:

Eek. I may be spending my days by the pool. 😳

Yep. That’s what everyone does. And there’s bar service up there. It’s like you’re on a Caribbean cruise, but you go through locks. lol A9542F8E-082A-4BD7-B529-CED31D847BCE.thumb.jpeg.76b9e02c4a600486ed070b8ba22d7498.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/28/2023 at 11:19 AM, franski said:

Great for me...  I don't do well in extreme heat (Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand was a huge challenge for me...)

We leave mid-May - and it sounds as if the weather will be perfect!!

Fran

I am doing this cruise on Avalon from May 22nd to May 29th in 2024.  I like those temps.

Judy

On 4/27/2023 at 7:35 AM, bubbulz said:

Any thoughts on August? It looks pretty moderate on the weather sites I have checked, but someone I talked with recently said it was extremely hot when they were there.

I was there the last week of August this year.  We had two very hot days in Lisbon, but then we had very nice weather for the rest of the trip.  It was warm, but not unbearable.  It was lovely sitting on the deck watching the world go by.

31 minutes ago, texasstar said:

I was there the last week of August this year.  We had two very hot days in Lisbon, but then we had very nice weather for the rest of the trip.  It was warm, but not unbearable.  It was lovely sitting on the deck watching the world go by.

I ended up going in early August. It was beautiful in Porto (in the mid-70s) and I even did a 15km bike ride along the coast. However it got extremely hot (100-105) as we got further east and inland. At least it wasn’t humid. By the time I got to Lisbon in mid-August the temps were moderate. (But by then I had caught covid for the first time, but that’s another story … 🙄)