Hotels near LAX / Los Angeles Cruise Port

LuCruise

DH and I just booked a cruise in July out of Los Angeles cruise port.  It's our first time cruising out of there and so no idea on hotels and the area.

We are flying into LAX and just need a hotel for one night.  We don't need anything fancy or expensive, just obviously clean and an ok area.  We won't have a car so would need restaurants (or even basic fast food) in walking distance by as well as say a Publix or pharmacy.  Any suggestions? 

PS - Just did a quick search and Best Western Plus South Bay seems in the middle between the airport and cruise port.

Edited by LuCruise

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

We are flying into LAX and just need a hotel for one night.  We don't need anything fancy or expensive, just obviously clean and an ok area.

What is your nightly budget in U.S. dollars? LA has two cruise ports, 6 miles apart, Long Beach (Carnival) and San Pedro (Princess, RCCI, NCL, etc).

We won't have a car so would need restaurants (or even basic fast food) in walking distance by as well as say a Publix or pharmacy.  Any suggestions? 

The two most often recommended hotels for San Pedro are the Crowne Plaza and DoubleTree San Pedro. For Long Beach you can stay at the DoubleTree Hotel Maya, Residence Inn or in Downtown Long Beach.

PS - Just did a quick search and Best Western Plus South Bay seems in the middle between the airport and cruise port.

The Best Western Plus South Bay is in a VERY BAD area. I'd never recommend it to anyone. It is in an area where the black gangs and Hispanic gangs bump into each other. In general, never stay east of the 405 Freeway.

If I was going to stay "halfway" it would be in Torrance or Redondo Beach.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

What is your nightly budget in U.S. dollars? LA has two cruise ports, 6 miles apart, Long Beach (Carnival) and San Pedro (Princess, RCCI, NCL, etc).

The two most often recommended hotels for San Pedro are the Crowne Plaza and DoubleTree San Pedro. For Long Beach you can stay at the DoubleTree Hotel Maya, Residence Inn or in Downtown Long Beach.

The Best Western Plus South Bay is in a VERY BAD area. I'd never recommend it to anyone. It is in an area where the black gangs and Hispanic gangs bump into each other. In general, never stay east of the 405 Freeway.

If I was going to stay "halfway" it would be in Torrance or Redondo Beach.

Thank you!  We are on Royal so San Pedro.  Didn't realize there are two ports so definitely good to know.

Will definitely look up those hotels and see.  I'd say staying under $300 CAD, which is $220 USD..but if it's more it's more.  I know hotels in Fort Lauderdale and Miami have skyrocketed.  

And thank you for noting Best Western South Bay is not a good area.  Definitely don't want to stay there then.  

And to all that posted, thanks as well for the other suggestions.  Will look them all up.

On 4/15/2023 at 5:07 PM, LuCruise said:

Thank you!  We are on Royal so San Pedro.  Didn't realize there are two ports so definitely good to know.

Will definitely look up those hotels and see.  I'd say staying under $300 CAD, which is $220 USD..but if it's more it's more.  I know hotels in Fort Lauderdale and Miami have skyrocketed.  

And thank you for noting Best Western South Bay is not a good area.  Definitely don't want to stay there then.  

And to all that posted, thanks as well for the other suggestions.  Will look them all up.

So, what did you decide on?

Not much in the area. 

TIA

9 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

So, what did you decide on?

Not much in the area. 

TIA

We booked Crowne Plaza near the port.  It seemed to be the best option with conveniences around it, a short drive the morning of the cruise (uber or taxi ride), plus it was one of the recommended ones.

Edited by LuCruise

3 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

We booked Crowne Plaza near the port.  It seemed to be the best option with conveniences around it, a short drive the morning of the cruise (uber or taxi ride), plus it was one of the recommended ones.

Thanks. We’ve stayed there 2x and liked it.  Was over $300 a night for the next time, so was checking around.  We’re staying 2 nights.

Was wondering if there are some safe area ones within 5 miles of the port. We really don’t know the area very well.

13 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Thanks. We’ve stayed there 2x and liked it.  Was over $300 a night for the next time, so was checking around.  We’re staying 2 nights.

Was wondering if there are some safe area ones within 5 miles of the port. We really don’t know the area very well.

Yeah, we booked it at $365 CAD for our date so a bit less if you are quoting USD but not cheap (although much better prices than Miami or Fort Lauderdale these days).  Same...know nothing about the area so took the advice on here.  Hopefully you'll get some other suggestions that are better priced.

38 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Thanks. We’ve stayed there 2x and liked it.  Was over $300 a night for the next time, so was checking around.  We’re staying 2 nights. Was wondering if there are some safe area ones within 5 miles of the port. We really don’t know the area very well.

I'd never stay in San Pedro more than one night (no offense travelinsister). Within 5 miles, look at Downtown Long Beach. A bit further, look in Seal Beach, Torrance and Redondo Beach.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

I'd never stay in San Pedro more than one night (no offense travelinsister). Within 5 miles, look at Downtown Long Beach. A bit further, look in Seal Beach, Torrance and Redondo Beach.

Thank you, appreciate it. 

Has anyone stayed at the Best Western Plus Avita Suites in Torrance, 2 nights pre cruise?

Wondering if it’s a safe area and decent travel times from LAX and then to the port in San Pedro?

I do not know this area at all.  Not sure if it’s worth it to save a few hundred bucks. As opposed to staying in San Pedro, which we’ve done a few times.

TIA

Edited by PacnGoNow

4 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Has anyone stayed at the Best Western Plus Avita Suites in Torrance, 2 nights pre cruise? Wondering if it’s a safe area and decent travel times from LAX and then to the port in San Pedro.

I have not stayed at the Best Western Plus Avita Suites, but I have stayed at the Torrance Marriott across the street several times for business meetings/seminars. The area is great and what I'd consider very safe. You are 1,000 yards from the Del Amo Fashion Center, which is one of the largest malls in America. It was at one time THE largest mall, but it has been passed by a couple now.

It is an easy ride to the port the next day,

Torrance is a very Asian area so you have some amazing Japanese, Korean and Chinese restaurants in the city. There are also four great Japanese supermarkets in Torrance (Mitsuwa, Ninjiya, Tokyo Central and Seiwa).

4 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Torrance is a very Asian area so you have some amazing Japanese, Korean and Chinese restaurants in the city. There are also four great Japanese supermarkets in Torrance (Mitsuwa, Ninjiya, Tokyo Central and Seiwa).

PS inside the Mitsuwa Marketplace Torrance (which is in the middle of the mall) are some amazing places to eat in a food hall like arrangement, plus the prepared foods from Mitsuwa, including sushi. Santouka Ramen is one of the eating spots and the Santouka chain is widely considered the top ramen chain there is.

https://mitsuwa.com/td/

23 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I have not stayed at the Best Western Plus Avita Suites, but I have stayed at the Torrance Marriott across the street several times for business meetings/seminars. The area is great and what I'd consider very safe. You are 1,000 yards from the Del Amo Fashion Center, which is one of the largest malls in America. It was at one time THE largest mall, but it has been passed by a couple now.

It is an easy ride to the port the next day,

Thank you so much!  I can pick up wine there then, too!

You are always a wealth of information!

16 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

PS inside the Mitsuwa Marketplace Torrance (which is in the middle of the mall) are some amazing places to eat in a food hall like arrangement, plus the prepared foods from Mitsuwa, including sushi. Santouka Ramen is one of the eating spots and the Santouka chain is widely considered the top ramen chain there is.

https://mitsuwa.com/td/

Thanks again!