Refundable vs Non-Refundable

We usually book cruises as refundable since we book far out.  However, we booked a short  cruise where final payment is due in less than 2 weeks.  

Is the only difference between refundable and non-refundable is the period up to final payment where refundable you get the deposit back and non-refundable you lose $100 per person and rest goes to FCC?

i.e. After final payment, the amount that you would lose if you cancel is the same whether it's a refundable or non-refundable?

Also, is the actual final payment date the same for  refundable vs non-refundable?

Edited by LuCruise

That is how I understand it.   Once final payment has been made, the amount that you can get refunded is spelled out on that chart they publish in their cancellation section.  Before the final payment date, the refundable / non-refundable policies apply. 

36 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Is the only difference between refundable and non-refundable is the period up to final payment where refundable you get the deposit back and non-refundable you lose $100 per person and rest goes to FCC?

If you cancel outright, you lose your entire deposit with NRD - no more FCC. If you move it, then it's a $100pp penalty.

Both booking types have the same final payment date.

Edited by Biker19

Thanks.  It's confusing as the non-refundable doesn't list the final payment date...I assume it's the same?  I guess too my main question is....after final payment, are the cancellation terms the same?  

Thanks.  Thought I'd just post as this is my confusion.  Below shows the dates for the same cruise booking refundable and non-refundable.

For Refundable, it's due Apr 30.  We have no plans to cancel but if we were to cancel between May 1 and May 13, we'd lose 50% of the cruise fare?  Vs for non-refundable, we only loose $210 (our deposit in CAD) up to May 13?  In this case, non-refundable is much better if any uncertainly.  Or maybe I'm missing something?

image.png.f626fb68087b4cc8e82b58eb05d45ca4.png

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks.  Thought I'd just post as this is my confusion.  Below shows the dates for the same cruise booking refundable and non-refundable.

For Refundable, it's due Apr 30.  We have no plans to cancel but if we were to cancel between May 1 and May 13, we'd lose 50% of the cruise fare?  Vs for non-refundable, we only loose $210 (our deposit in CAD) up to May 13?  In this case, non-refundable is much better if any uncertainly.  Or maybe I'm missing something?

image.png.f626fb68087b4cc8e82b58eb05d45ca4.png

I would blame that on an IT error that omitted a line in the cancellation schedule.

refer to the cancellation schedule in the cruise ticket contract.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I would blame that on an IT error that omitted a line in the cancellation schedule.

refer to the cancellation schedule in the cruise ticket contract.

Thanks.  We booked it as Refundable so I can see the invoice for our booking. However, since final payment is in less than two weeks and non-refundable is a bit less, we are thinking of switching to non-refundable but want to make sure I understand there is no other downside.  i.e. I can't see the terms as we haven't switched yet

50 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks.  We booked it as Refundable so I can see the invoice for our booking. However, since final payment is in less than two weeks and non-refundable is a bit less, we are thinking of switching to non-refundable but want to make sure I understand there is no other downside.  i.e. I can't see the terms as we haven't switched yet

After final payment both refundable and non refundable are identical

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

After final payment both refundable and non refundable are identical

Thanks for confirming and for your help.  We usually book so far in advance that we stick with refundable.  With this one, it makes sense to make the swap to non-refundable with final payment so close.  

• Like 1