How strict are National Express luggage weight limits?

We are planning to take the National Express coach from Heathrow to Southampton.  Our luggage size is within their guidelines, but the weight limit is only 20 kg, or 44 pounds.  How strictly do they enforce the weight limits?  We have used National Express before, and I'm sure we were a bit over that, but under 50 pounds.  But that was back in 2019, so I wanted to check before I booked it.  TIA for any recent info you can provide!

I used National Express last September and my suitcase was pretty heavy.  I also was worried if they were going to say anything but they never did.  The guy was so busy taking peoples luggage and putting them under the bus he never said a word.

• Thanks 2

The limit is to cover Nat Express against being sued if the driver does himself a mischief lifting a heavy case - so he can decline overweight cases

But the drivers aren't wimps, even though without a set of scales they can gauge the weight of a case within a few kilos

Just treat the driver with respect, mebbe offer to help with an overweight case, and hope he / she isn't in a bad mood 😏

Bear in mind that the allowance is TWO cases, each 20kg, per passenger.

If you want to play safe, pre-book extra luggage for a fee.

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I took the National Express in November from London to Southampton. My suitcase was fine for the flight so was fairly close to 50 pounds.  

I would take Mr. Bull’s advice and offer to help lift the suitcase and offer a tip when the fellow puts it under the bus.  Having a smile and being appreciative goes a long way too, which I’m sure you will be as I was when I saw my suitcase go under.  😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1