Looking on how to get to Portofino quickly from Santa Margherita after a shore excursion

tusconcam

Hi there. I'm looking for the easiest/best/namely quickest way to get from Santa Margherita (after my shore excursion) to Portofino.

We are back from our excursion to Nice/Eze at 3:30 to hopefully not as late as 4pm at wherever the port terminal?/tendered boats dock. (I imagine in the center of the bay). Help with where this is is appreciated as well .

The ship departs  at 6pm that day  and we want to be back 1 hour before. 

The challenging part to this is that we are tendering in/out as you all would know; so time is a factor.

We realize that IF we can make it to Portofino that we will not have time to do it justice. We realize this; it will be for a quick overview of the bay and marina etc.

Does anyone have any advice/tips/suggestions??

Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, tusconcam said:

I'm looking for the easiest/best/namely quickest way to get from Santa Margherita (after my shore excursion) to Portofino.

We are back from our excursion to Nice/Eze at 3:30 to hopefully not as late as 4pm at wherever the port terminal?/tendered boats dock. (I imagine in the center of the bay). Help with where this is is appreciated as well .

The ship departs  at 6pm that day  and we want to be back 1 hour before. 

The challenging part to this is that we are tendering in/out as you all would know; so time is a factor.

So the good news is they are close by-- only about 15-20 minutes. We did this once in reverse-- we were staying in Portofino and had friends who were staying on the other side of Santa Margherita Ligure. The hotel set up transportation for us one way and getting a taxi back was easy from Santa Margherita. 

I am not sure the same would be as easy in reverse-- I don't remember a ton of taxis in Portofino (but I also wasn't looking out for them either). If I were doing this myself I would hire a driver to be on the clock to take me back and forth and wait for me. Time is going to be tight here and getting stuck in Portofino when you have to make a last tender back would not be good. Knowing you have a driver waiting for you would give me the peace of mind to actually enjoy myself on such a tight side trip. 

• Thanks 1

You could also walk as the distance isn't huge, but if timings allow, the most scenic and highly recommended way is to use the ferry.  The short ride is beautiful even if you only do it one way.  You could perhaps take a taxi or walk there from SML, but carefully  time the ferry schedule for the return.  Portofino is teeny tiny so you could spend as little as an hour there if you don't want longer. If timing is even more tight, you could consider taking the ferry to P, but not get off, staying on for the next ferry back to SML.  The ferry in P goes right into the town harbour and the arrival is really pretty, so you would see most of the prettiest part of P as there isn't a great deal more than that anyway...

I don't know exactly where you tender into in SML, but the ferry stages are right on the seafront alongside the promenade and across from a litle garden area.

Note that for either option to work, ferry timings would be crucial.  There should be reviews found online, and possible ferry films on YouTube.  I do not know, but worth a look.

• Thanks 1

There are only a few piers in SML.  All close to each other.  You can walk from your tender pier to the ferry pier in less than 5 minutes.  Here is the ferry schedule:

https://traghettiportofino.it/en/lines-trips/line-1/#ad-image-0

Use it both ways or, as edinburgher suggested, taxi one way and ferry back.

But I'm still puzzled by your Nice/Eze excursion out of SML! 😁

• Thanks 2

But I'm still puzzled by your Nice/Eze excursion out of SML! 😁

I am too.  It is a long drive from SML to Nice then on to Eze then all the way back.  I am guessing that most of the day will consist of sitting on a coach with little "feet on the ground" time on arrival at both, (guesstimating 5-6 hours but could be way wrong with that guess) And any lunch stop will use up more of the off coach time too,.but the the OP must have reasons for choosing this shorex.  At least it is a shorex and should it overrun, the ship will wait.

I now looked at YouTube and there are several videos of the ferry trip, and someone also describes the walk, which I don't think you would have time for anyway..  (but I only noted the titles, didn't actually watch any of them.)

Edited by edinburgher

Oops, sorry; the tendered port is Villefrance servicing Nice/Eze, Santa Maherita for Cinque Terre ( closest 2 towns). My mistake. Mind is elsewhere.  

We get back from Cinque Terre excursion at 3:30/4 and hope to check out Portofino from Villefrance tender point drop off. 

Thnxs

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tusconcam said:

Oops, sorry; the tendered port is Villefrance servicing Nice/Eze, Santa Maherita for Cinque Terre ( closest 2 towns). My mistake. Mind is elsewhere.  

We get back from Cinque Terre excursion at 3:30/4 and hope to check out Portofino from Villefrance tender point drop off. 

Thnxs

OK.  You will check out Portofino from Santa Margherita after going to Cinque Terre. 😉

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1